Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:14 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,294,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know the origins of the drug war. And I know that this "drug war" isn't really working at all. It doesn't make sense to me because it isn't working. On the other hand, I don't advocate recreational drug use.
What do you advocate then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 12:20 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,090,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've got mixed feelings about this. On one hand, if you do the crime, you do the time. I am in favor of that. I have no respect for drug dealers. On the other hand, this whole war on drugs have gotten us nowhere. It is interesting. Portugal legalized heroin a few years back. Within 5 years, HIV infection rates dropped, as did addiction rates. Prison time is replaced with therapy. Portugal now has fewer issues with drugs than the USA. It makes me wonder if the drug war is working. If you're out causing violence in the streets in the process of selling drugs, then yes, I say lock you up. You do the crime, you do the time. I wouldn't use drugs either. Still, I look at it this way. Drugs are a horrible path to get on. On the other hand, I'm learning more and more than prison time isn't going to stop anyone from using drugs or selling them. Drugs have been known to get into the prisons, one of the most secure places in our society. If they can get there, then your own community, no matter how safe it is, or out of the way it is, drugs can end up there too.
Actually to be correct, drug use in Portugal has been decriminalized, not made legal. People still can't freely use drugs in Portugal. The difference is that when they are caught they receive treatment rather than a prison sentence, as you stated. This would never work out in the US for many reasons.

Thirty-two people is a drop in the bucket. It's like putting a Band-Aid on a bullet wound. The drug problem in PA cities is far more complex than picking up a few drug dealers in a sweep; there will be others coming along to take their place any second now, and it solves very little.

Last edited by MatildaLoo; 09-17-2012 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: additional thought...

Old 09-17-2012, 06:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,186,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Our police, don't you love them, it takes them 5 months of "INVESTIGATING" to nab 22 or 32 sellers and users. This is good police work?

They caught street people and some low level sellers, whoopie! I guess the drug problem in Wilkes_barre is over.

Is this really an effective use of 5 months of police resources, or is this just some more window dressing by the police, so they can look like they are doing something, and qualify for more federal grants?

If after 5 months all they can do is arrest people that are in plain view I don't know who is dumber, the police or the people dealing at the street level.

Interesting points.

Which cities, anywhere in the nation, have successfully stemmed drug traffic and successfully turned the tide against dealers/users?

Old 09-17-2012, 06:49 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,239,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Our police, don't you love them, it takes them 5 months of "INVESTIGATING" to nab 22 or 32 sellers and users. This is good police work?

They caught street people and some low level sellers, whoopie! I guess the drug problem in Wilkes_barre is over.

Is this really an effective use of 5 months of police resources, or is this just some more window dressing by the police, so they can look like they are doing something, and qualify for more federal grants?

If after 5 months all they can do is arrest people that are in plain view I don't know who is dumber, the police or the people dealing at the street level.
I had this discussion with someone. We both agreed that the only way the police catch these criminals is if they fall into their laps. This case is a prime example of this.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I had this discussion with someone. We both agreed that the only way the police catch these criminals is if they fall into their laps. This case is a prime example of this.
Ok. So what do we do?

There are either not enough cops/detectives in the city to handle the overload of crime OR we have enough but they don't do their jobs. Which is it and how do we fix it?

If we don't have enough cops/detectives, are enough Wilkes-Barre residents going to support hiring more? If we have enough personnel who don't perform their jobs, how do we oust them and hire ones that will?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ok. So what do we do?

There are either not enough cops/detectives in the city to handle the overload of crime OR we have enough but they don't do their jobs. Which is it and how do we fix it?

If we don't have enough cops/detectives, are enough Wilkes-Barre residents going to support hiring more? If we have enough personnel who don't perform their jobs, how do we oust them and hire ones that will?
That is the million dollar question that I don't have a clue State and local gov'ts have been cutting police and fire depts for the past 2 decades. I actually don't understand this line item on the budget. We need firemen, police and teachers. That's the foundation for an orderly society. Anyway, the police are overworked and underpaid, IMHO. Not enough resources. Financially or otherwise. As far as, WB or the Poconos(where I live), these criminal enterprises will thrive since they know that the police resources are scarce.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
That is the million dollar question that I don't have a clue State and local gov'ts have been cutting police and fire depts for the past 2 decades. I actually don't understand this line item on the budget. We need firemen, police and teachers. That's the foundation for an orderly society. Anyway, the police are overworked and underpaid, IMHO. Not enough resources. Financially or otherwise. As far as, WB or the Poconos(where I live), these criminal enterprises will thrive since they know that the police resources are scarce.
Perhaps one answer is for the general public not to ***** and moan every time hiring/raises for public servants comes up on the meeting agenda. I am so sick of hearing people complain about "my taxes" (always said in a bombastic, self righteous tone of indignation) being used to fund services like police and fire as well as public education and other parts of infrastructure.

(BTW, this is not towards you quiet life, just a general observation)

Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Perhaps one answer is for the general public not to ***** and moan every time hiring/raises for public servants comes up on the meeting agenda. I am so sick of hearing people complain about "my taxes" (always said in a bombastic, self righteous tone of indignation) being used to fund services like police and fire as well as public education and other parts of infrastructure.

No offense taken and I couldn't agree with you more. In a perfect world....

Old 09-17-2012, 11:45 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,064,780 times
Quote:

--we agree again!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:19 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,834,307 times
Quote:
Ok. So what do we do?

If you legalize the drugs the crime involved with it evaporates. Many of drug dealers would probably move onto other criminal enterprises but the users and drug dealers doing it to support a habit no longer have a reason for criminal activity.

As far as your tax comments Margritte lets consider Scranton a city that can't afford to pay the fire and police what they are making now even with a tax hike. How about WB police getting an extra $1400 each year is it? To not write parking tickets and the FF union suing the city for the same compensation. People are fed up with that crap Margritte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania