Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Missed this on the first go-round. I hope they can be kept to a minimum.
Me too

Old 09-21-2012, 09:31 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I can completely understand this. But personally I know of one family ; four daughters that are all over 30. Daughter #1 has three kids ; one in jail, one about to go into jail and the third is 17 and has a child. Daughter #2 has three children all living with their different fathers while she is on the run from the law after a drug bust. Daughter # 3 is about to pop out her fourth child but will be going to jail as she was caught in a drug bust. Daughter #4 I thought was the smart one but now I know she is also into drugs.

Daughter #3 when I saw her last was driving a brand new yukon, bf was driving a new motorbike and the kids all wear nothing but designer clothes. Now they have no car as it was seized along with everything in the apt.

The parents of these daughters ; dad did time when he was young and now works hard. Mum works harder as a nurse and minds all the little kids when the daughters are in jail. She looks exausted at this time.

Yes they are all from NEPA ; mainly scranton area. But the kids are all on welfare. Why work when you can bleed the system and become drug lords??
the real drug lords here live in the back mountain,clarks summit areas and can be occasionally seen in the papers for receiving some phoney award or a pat on the back---anyone connecting the poverty-abundance of drug users and pushers and the success
of gambling establishments here and hmmm

Old 09-21-2012, 01:39 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I addressed this yesterday but in short: people in NEPA are in survival mode and just trying to get by. They don't have the time nor the energy to stand up and do something about it because they are too busy working to provide for their families.

Also, you do realize that you just started a thread that's going to degrade into racist rants, right?
First let me say, I'm an Independent, but have spent a lot of time dealing with those in poverty and this article nails it.

What Romney doesn’t understand about personal responsibility

I can't say enough good about this program
National Circles Campaign - Eradicating Poverty

Old 09-21-2012, 01:58 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
Sadly this is a growing issue down here in the Lehigh Valley as well.
Poverty perpetuates poverty.

Inter generational poverty is a reality baseline. Add one of the worst economic down turns in the history of the country and the result are those within the strata of the working class now have found themselves unemployed and unemployable due to jobs that were traditionally held by them now are either out sourced overseas, or taken by those with an education.
Now we add what was the working class to the ranks of the inter generational welfare recipient and the result is what we're seeing now.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:27 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times
Can't be that much poverty around here, there were hundreds of people lined up for the iphone5 in Scranton this am.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Can't be that much poverty around here, there were hundreds of people lined up for the iphone5 in Scranton this am.
When it comes to electronic gadgetry that is used to escape having to think about reality, people, regardless of their socio economic level will somehow, someway produce the funds necessary to obtain said tranquilizer.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
When it comes to electronic gadgetry that is used to escape having to think about reality, people, regardless of their socio economic level will somehow, someway produce the funds necessary to obtain said tranquilizer.
I can't afford one, i have a cheap phone that i only use for the car if i breakdown. Would love to own a iphone5, but it's never going to happen.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Escape reality???? That thing keeps you connected to the misery in the world. I would think getting lost in the beautiful country is an escape.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I can't afford one, i have a cheap phone that i only use for the car if i breakdown. Would love to own a iphone5, but it's never going to happen.

I choose not to have one. Instead I have the " free " phone that's offered with my cell phone contract.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:33 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,752 times
Quote:
I choose not to have one. Instead I have the " free " phone that's offered with my cell phone contract.
me too, I have a Samsung Alias 2 that has been dropped, kicked, you name it, and still works just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania