Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 10,196 times

Advertisements

Still waiting on word about our offer at Big Bass Lake, but getting concerned about the dues. Our agent ("our" ha ha) has advised us that it is around $1400. What will it go up to in the years to come? Yikes. Could we even afford it along with the property taxes?......Well hopefully, we can. And hopefully we will by then come to the conclusion that it is worth it since we really crave the peace and quiet this community is supposed to subscribe to. The documents and covenants really indicate the community association's strict policies for noise and other things, but hopefully they are enforced. Anyone out there who knows for sure about BBL and can tell me about this, I am open to advice. So far I know golf carts, ATVs, dirt bikes and motor boats are all positively not allowed, but what about regular motorcycles like loud Harley's? Also, should we worry about bears (don't laugh)? Thanks for any input you may have for me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 11:15 AM

159 posts, read 457,922 times
If a motorcycle is street legal it can be ridden at BBL. I did see a few motorcycles there, but I really don't expect to see many loud Harleys in the community. It just isn't that kind of place. The max speed limit is 25mph so that should help with any exhaust noise. I'm not a fan of loud bikes either.

I own a Sportbike and I will be riding it from Long Island to BBL, but I would never make any noise in my community. I respect my neighbors.

Bears are definately in the area and I would believe they enter the community on occaison, but because the garbage is not put out by the curb, there is really nothing to attract them to BBL.(plus they don't like the high dues) LOL The garbage is placed in a bear proof dumpster area near the beach. I was looking in Lake Harmony/ Split Rock area and they have a bear problem there. Garbage is ripped apart in many of the streets we saw there.

Bottom line- I would not be worried about bears. I would love to see bears in the area.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 13,734 times
Default Big Bass Lake

Hello PWGUNNY,

I am glad you finally landed in BBL. I have been renting in the Poconos for 10 years in different communities, last 3 years in Lake Naomi. I think facilities, especially pool is superb - 50m long! But, very expensive, like you said. Never been in BBL, though.
Now I am thinking about purchasing something, based on your analytical "research" BBL is not a bad choice.
As you went through all the procedures, could you please provide some realistic numbers about the costs involved, such as maintenance + tax+insurance, bills, etc. What is the average number we arrive per year?

Also, if you could post more detailed info about community itself...
I was surprised that having 3 lakes they have only 2 beaches. Is it true?
How big are the pools?
As you went through the summer season already, what is your impression? How crowded are the pools and beaches?
Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWGUNNY View Post
Well after looking for several months and many weekend trips from Long Island to the Poconos, We bought a house at Big Bass Lake. It was a daunting task, with so many communities and homes for sale. I told my wife from the start, "We can go crazy looking everywhere". We first narrowed down the communities and then we honed in on finding a house.
We decided that BBL would be the best match for us. We bought a 4bdrm, 2bth house across the street from the lake. We will start looking to replace some of the furniture there and then we'll be all set.
The positives for BBL are:
24 hour gated/security
Big outdoor pool, Big indoor pool
Nice Tennis courts right next to the outdoor pool and clubhouse. These courts are active too. It would be useless to find courts and nobody to play against.
Lake with excellent fishing and nice sized beach.
Winter ski/tube hill next to indoor pool.
There are plenty of activities to keep the kids busy.

The negatives for me are:
Dues higher than average-$1700/yr
Partially hilly- makes it tough for my kids to bike ride.
No Golf Carts- I really wanted to ride around with the family on the Golfcart after dinner, like we do in Florida at my parents house.

Looking forward to many years of vacations and eventually retirement at BBL.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:31 AM

MARKSLAV- We went to Lake Naomi for my kids swim meet. It was very nice there. There are 2 beaches at BBL, they are Big Bass Beach(located at the main entrance when you pull up to the Gate house) and Larsen Beach. We tend to go to Larsen Beach as my kids like the swimming better there. They can swim out to an island and play on the island. Lake Natalie is the third lake which I have not been on yet.
The pool is not as big or nice as the Lake Naomi pool. It can get crowded on holiday weekends and it almost hits capacity on Saturdays in July.
We have an active tennis community and we are getting our tennis courts next to our clubhouse completely refurbished. The annual dues are $1700/yr. There are no other fees to pay in regards to recreation. My house taxes are $3000/yr on a 4bdrm/2bth house that I paid $200,000 for.
We are happy with our choice.
We used BIG BASS INC Realty and George Mameras was our realtor and he did an excellent job. My advice would be to contact George and have him show you the community and some houses. Good luck.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 13,734 times
Default Big Bass Lake

Thanks for quick response. Sorry, some more questions: what are typical home insurance and average utility bills and typical house maintenance costs(I am just trying to arrive at the total spending amount)?
As you went through the winter season, what is your impression of ski hill? what type of trails do they have?

Also, have you ever considered to build the house vs. buying? It looks like one can build a brand new house for appr. the same price as resale.
May be I am missing something... Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWGUNNY View Post
MARKSLAV- We went to Lake Naomi for my kids swim meet. It was very nice there. There are 2 beaches at BBL, they are Big Bass Beach(located at the main entrance when you pull up to the Gate house) and Larsen Beach. We tend to go to Larsen Beach as my kids like the swimming better there. They can swim out to an island and play on the island. Lake Natalie is the third lake which I have not been on yet.
The pool is not as big or nice as the Lake Naomi pool. It can get crowded on holiday weekends and it almost hits capacity on Saturdays in July.
We have an active tennis community and we are getting our tennis courts next to our clubhouse completely refurbished. The annual dues are $1700/yr. There are no other fees to pay in regards to recreation. My house taxes are $3000/yr on a 4bdrm/2bth house that I paid $200,000 for.
We are happy with our choice.
We used BIG BASS INC Realty and George Mameras was our realtor and he did an excellent job. My advice would be to contact George and have him show you the community and some houses. Good luck.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:26 AM

I think it is wiser to buy existing than to build. There are always plenty of properties to choose from. We bought our house furnished and we had to add very little to get it to our taste. If you are looking for a building lot, it is likely that any remaining lots are less desirable, or they would have been built on already. The annual home ins. is $680, the aprox. electric is about $100/mo. We heat the house with propane and electric in the winter and it runs about $350/mo.
The dues will be reassessed for the new tennis courts and playground that are under renovation this October. The new dues will be around $1800/yr.

There are some homeowners that bought many years ago when dues were $200/yr, they resist anything new or improved that may increase their dues. The battles wage on between older fixed incomes and the younger people with children and working incomes. Keep this in mind, if you think you can afford it now, will you be able to afford it in the future, when costs will inevitably rise. Recreation communities require more maintenance than a typical community and these amenities come at a price that is always climbing.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:53 AM

77 posts, read 157,402 times
How is the skiing at BBL??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania