Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:41 AM

39 posts, read 86,399 times

Advertisements

Who are you using for propane & home heating oil?

We're moving from Bear Creek to Analomink the end of next month and our new home has oil heat, with a gas fireplace and gas powered whole house generator. I'm told the oil tanks are full at the new house, so we'll have a little time to find an oil supplier, but we've requested that the seller have the existing propane tank removed, so we'll need to address that pretty quickly.

Would prefer to use a small local company over one like Suburban Propane.

BTW, anyone in the Wilkes-Barre/Bear Creek area, Back Mountain Bottled Gas is the BEST for propane.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Karen if you don't have oil now I'll have to warn you....... $$$$$. The propane isn't going to be much better but you might want to consider doing some price comparisons before getting rid of it. You'd have to get the rates first and I can give you cost per million BTU or you can use this calculator:

Fuel Comparison Calculator for Home Heating

The cost of the oil is so much you'd break even on switching to natural gas if it's available from street in 2 or 3 years. It's all gravy after that.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM

I'm not getting rid of propane. Our new home is hot water baseboard oil heat, a propane fireplace and a propane whole house generator. It also has a wood burning stove in the basement. It was built in 2005, so I have no intentions of changing out the heating system.

Suburban charged my inlaws over $7.00 a gallon for propane last year because of the size of their tank (60 lb I believe), and they charged my sister 50% more than I was paying from Back Mountain Bottled Gas this past winter. The people that built the house contracted with them, and they were going to charge her $3000 to remove the tank! And she heated her 3000 sq. foot house with propane so she bought plenty from them. That is criminal. I will not do business with a company that price gauges like that.

Thank goodness my sister was able to sell her house and won't need to deal with them this winter.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen-P View Post
It was built in 2005, so I have no intentions of changing out the heating system.
Understood but I'm just trying point out you're talking about thousands of dollars each year compared to natural gas or even more compared to coal. I have an oil burner on craigslist at scrap prices and I can't get rid of it. LOL Coal isn't for everyone but frankly with the natural gas prices if you can get a hookup at your house you'd have to be nuts not to take advantage of it.

If you give me the rates you are paying and what you use for a given period of time I can give you some fairly reliable comparisons for any fuel.

Quote:
Suburban charged my inlaws over $7.00 a gallon for propane last year because of the size of their tank (60 lb I believe), and they charged my sister 50% more than I was paying from Back Mountain Bottled Gas this past winter.
Double the price sounds a bit excessive but having been in the fuel delivery business I can tell you that you can't make money delivering small quantities. I could make more money, faster and with less work delivering a full load to one house in Tunkhannock than I could delivering that same amount around town where a truckload would be split between three households.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
I have propane heat .. 2 30,000 BTU units . One in the basement , One on the main floor ...

We use Keystone Propane .. We get a GREAT RATE ... Although new cust will pay more they are a stand up company ..

Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 AM

thecoalman, I'm not interested in switching fuel sources or comparisons...just vendor recommendations. Natural gas is NOT available, and my husband has no intentions of dealing with coal.

We have a wood burning stove and 32 acres of trees surrounding our new home. We'll supplement with those, should we chose to supplement with anything.

Can anyone recommend a propane supplier or home heating oil supplier that delivers to East Stroudsburg?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
I have propane heat .. 2 30,000 BTU units . One in the basement , One on the main floor ...

We use Keystone Propane .. We get a GREAT RATE ... Although new cust will pay more they are a stand up company ..
Thank you! I actually have an email out to them to find out if they'll deliver to our new home.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen-P View Post
Thank you! I actually have an email out to them to find out if they'll deliver to our new home.

Great Company IMO .... Hope it works out for ya ... Give em a call.. why wait for a e mail..

Old 09-26-2012, 12:13 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
I've been using Liberty Discount Fuel out of Bartonsville for several years. They do not offer burner service contracts but you can buy a contract from RJ Groner for 24-hour coverage. Here is Liberty's website. You can get today's price by entering your zip code. Liberty Discount Fuel | Today's Price | Monthly Specials & Pricing One word of caution: If you call Liberty be sure you get the Bartonsville office. The first time I called them I got the Easton office and they sent a driver up to Shawnee who promptly got lost and failed to make the delivery!

I use propane only for the backup generator and so far I've only filled the tank once. I chose Amerigas out of East Stroudsburg after getting some installation prices and after leaving some messages with local dealers without getting a return call! Amerigas was not good with the installation and I had to call their naional 800 number to get a response but they ended up forgetting to bill me so it was free. I would have preferred a local dealer, too, but Amerigas had the lowest bid.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 PM

159 posts, read 458,125 times
Never use Suburban. They were a nightmare. I now use Keystone and I have no complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania