Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 03:53 PM

640 posts, read 1,986,695 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm thinking about traveling from Wyalusing to one of the malls in or near Scranton. I thought for some reason there was a mall in Clarks Summit, but now I'm finding an outdoor shopping center.

I'm pretty much looking for a place to go to get some good deals, but also want the choice of an anchor store like Macy's or Boscov's or JC Penney. I'm also looking for a place to eat - like TGIF's or something like that.

I'd make a day of it and from what I've researched, the closest -- and what seem to be decent -- malls/shopping areas are near or in Scranton. Binghamton is over an hour away so I scratched that off my list.

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm going stir crazy staring at the 4 walls...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 08:37 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,115 times
Meh, that's kind of like asking which is more fun: an appendectomy or gall bladder surgery. Both malls are pretty underwhelming. However, if you really want to go to a mall with an anchor store, I'd suggest the Viewmont Mall well over Steamtown. Viewmont has a Macy's, JC Penneys (which I guess is rebranded as JCP now), and a Sears. Plus there are a few other shopping centers/strip malls nearby, a Kohls, a Target, TJ Maxx and Marshalls, etc.

You could also go to the Shoppes At Montage by getting on 81 and getting off at the Montage exit, if you are making a day of it. Both areas have plenty of places to eat at.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:00 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Meh, that's kind of like asking which is more fun: an appendectomy or gall bladder surgery. Both malls are pretty underwhelming. However, if you really want to go to a mall with an anchor store, I'd suggest the Viewmont Mall well over Steamtown. Viewmont has a Macy's, JC Penneys (which I guess is rebranded as JCP now), and a Sears. Plus there are a few other shopping centers/strip malls nearby, a Kohls, a Target, TJ Maxx and Marshalls, etc.

You could also go to the Shoppes At Montage by getting on 81 and getting off at the Montage exit, if you are making a day of it. Both areas have plenty of places to eat at.
You made me laugh out loud with this! There is no mall in Clarks Summit!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:

Ugh.
I don't want to travel past (or south of) Scranton, because then I might as well drive an hour to Binghamton (and pay sales tax on clothes ).

Those malls are really that bad/unimpressive? Are they looking old/dirty?

I guess I could do the Viewmont and it's been a very long time since I've been to any stores besids a Kmart and Fashion Bug. I need a "fix" -- of civilization. I'm going nuts in this rural area, I'm just not made for it, although it's the most beautiful place I've ever lived in by far.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
Ugh.
I don't want to travel past (or south of) Scranton, because then I might as well drive an hour to Binghamton (and pay sales tax on clothes ).

Those malls are really that bad/unimpressive? Are they looking old/dirty?

I guess I could do the Viewmont and it's been a very long time since I've been to any stores besids a Kmart and Fashion Bug. I need a "fix" -- of civilization. I'm going nuts in this rural area, I'm just not made for it, although it's the most beautiful place I've ever lived in by far.
Yeah I'm familiar with Wyalusing. It's beautiful, especially this time of year, but it's too far away from anything for me.

Steamtown is kind of scummy, including its clientele. Viewmont isn't terribly dirty, it's just a typical suburban mall and not especially impressive. There's a lot in that general vicinity though other than the mall, so you should be able to find some good deals.

Did I mention there's a Kohls? I miss having a Kohls nearby.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:39 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,080 times
Do Viewmont and browse all the stores around it. Get lunch at Teppanyaki and buy Groceries before you leave at Wegmans. I have done this as a fun trip from the Wyoming Valley area and always enjoyed it.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
you made me laugh out loud with this! There is no mall in clarks summit!
hehe

Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'm familiar with Wyalusing. It's beautiful, especially this time of year, but it's too far away from anything for me.

Steamtown is kind of scummy, including its clientele. Viewmont isn't terribly dirty, it's just a typical suburban mall and not especially impressive. There's a lot in that general vicinity though other than the mall, so you should be able to find some good deals.

Did I mention there's a Kohls? I miss having a Kohls nearby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Do Viewmont and browse all the stores around it. Get lunch at Teppanyaki and buy Groceries before you leave at Wegmans. I have done this as a fun trip from the Wyoming Valley area and always enjoyed it.
Yeah, traveling route 6 from Wyalusing to Wysox is awesome. I've never seen this kind of beauty and every time I drive it, it's like I'm seeing the landscapes and the Susquehannah for the 1st time.

The Kohls, TJ Maxx, and other stores like that are big draws for me. I can browse around there, plus if the drive isn't too long, I can re-start my email subscriptions from them, to get coupons, etc.

I'll also check out Teppanyaki (Japanese?). I visited Wegman's a few times when visiting Williamsport--if the prices are right, I'll buy!

Thanks for the suggestions. I know now not to expect too much but the Viewmont mall should give me the fix I need.

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-29-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
Yeah, traveling route 6 from Wyalusing to Wysox is awesome. I've never seen this kind of beauty and every time I drive it, it's like I'm seeing the landscapes and the Susquehannah for the 1st time.

The Kohls, TJ Maxx, and other stores like that are big draws for me. I can browse around there, plus if the drive isn't too long, I can re-start my email subscriptions from them, to get coupons, etc.

I'll also check out Teppanyaki (Japanese?). I visited Wegman's a few times when visiting Williamsport--if the prices are right, I'll buy!

Thanks for the suggestions. I know now not to expect too much but the Viewmont mall should give me the fix I need.

Thanks for the help!

If you browse around that area you won't be too disappointed. Have fun Are you going today?

Old 09-29-2012, 06:40 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
I second the recommendation of the Viewmont Mall area. While traffic is often wicked there on the weekends with not only "locals" in the immediate Scranton area but also people from the surrounding Endless Mountains (you) and Pocono Mountains flooding in for weekly pilgrimages to Target, Kohl's, TJ Maxx, Wegman's, Lowe's, and all the other stores they can't find closer to home this really is the Scranton area's best one-stop shopping district. I've personally never been that impressed by the Shoppes at Montage, but I know others who love it. I like the Christmas Tree Shop there, even if most of the stuff is cheap junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania