Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times

Advertisements

And it was bought by Crony Russo....big surprise. He was also just sold the John Marshall School building for a song....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Currently its a toss up between Janet Evans and Bill Courtright.
Wish it would be someone outside of the same old tired political names around here, but that's not happening. Out of those two, I would definitely take Courtright. Evans would be a disaster.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Kind of funny that the new Walmart in Taylor is literally yards from Scranton, but not in Scranton.
Same reason that Price Chopper closed their store on Luzerne St and built a new one in Taylor right across the street from Wal-Mart. Close enough to attract city residents without having to pay city taxes. The business tax climate in Scranton is shooting the city in the foot.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:20 PM

130 posts, read 251,867 times
Mr Yuk,

A city dominated 100 percent by liberal democrats amazing their fiscal policies arent working. Pick up on my sarcasm yet? My advice is get out of there like i did!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post
Mr Yuk,

A city dominated 100 percent by liberal democrats amazing their fiscal policies arent working. Pick up on my sarcasm yet? My advice is get out of there like i did!
This city isn't dominated by liberal democrats. Democrats yes, but this city or area is not very liberal. These aren't hippie liberal democrats around here, more like Boss Tweed Tammany Hall democrats. Its the corruption and greed that's killing this area.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
This city isn't dominated by liberal democrats. Democrats yes, but this city or area is not very liberal. These aren't hippie liberal democrats around here, more like Boss Tweed Tammany Hall democrats. Its the corruption and greed that's killing this area.
You forgot incompetence and apathy.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:31 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
You forgot incompetence and apathy.

Also add blissful ignorance.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:41 PM

Getting this thread back on track I have to say I wish the developer nothing but the best with this project. Successfully revitalizing Downtown Scranton hinges upon increasing the amount of people living in/around the core of the city to support existing businesses and to encourage demand for new ones to open. The naysayers can say whatever they'd like, but nationwide there is a SUSTAINED shift, especially in my Generation Y demographic, of people wanting to move closer to urban areas again, reversing decades of accelerating urban sprawl. Think of how much you can walk to in 20 minutes from Mr. Yuk's front door or from weluvpa's front door compared to the front door of someone living in a subivision in a place like South Abington Township. There's just no contest as to which one is currently more desirable for younger people.

Philadelphia; Pittsburgh; Washington, DC; Boston; and many other major U.S. cities are enjoying healthy population rebounds after decades of decline. Younger people want to drive less. Many, including myself, would prefer to sell our vehicles and apply the savings of not owning a vehicle (gas, car payment, parking, car insurance, maintenance, etc.) to paying down our student loan debt more rapidly. You can call Downtown Scranton a "wasteland", but for an active younger adult such as myself I'd be within walking distance of the Scranton Cultural Center, banks, medical/professional offices, restaurants, bars, night clubs, a library, Steamtown Mall, Redner's Market (for a longer trek), houses of worship, parks, and much more. The last time I was in NEPA visiting family I couldn't believe how congested I-81 and Route 315 through my hometown were becoming at rush-hour as more and more people are commuting between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre and vice-versa. If more of those people lived closer to work, school, and other amenities and, correspondingly, drove less, that would also go a long ways towards improving the area's poor air quality.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 PM

WQED Multimedia: TV: Experience

While this video primarily highlights the advantages to urban living in Downtown Pittsburgh in particular you can really say many of the same things for living in Downtown Scranton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania