Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:39 PM

460 posts, read 3,546,296 times

Advertisements

Been giving this a lot of thought for some time now and today drove out to look around. I like what I see and want to take the next step which is I think I should stay in the area for at least 2 weeks and try to find out everything I can (ie, talk to people, attend social gatherings, do a lot of driving around area). Could use some advice though on where to stay and was thinking about staying in a motel because the idea of taking a room and sharing a bathroom + kitchen with strangers does not appeal to me at all. If I feel comfortable with area after this try out I would be looking soon thereafter to purchase a very modest home in a rural/semi rural area like perhaps a mobile, manufactured, or just a very small ?minimalist? home on it's own land (not in a park or community) and hopefully within 5-8 miles max outside of Scranton/Wilkes Barre. What do you guys think about this overall plan? Any comments or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 12:09 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,100,890 times
Okay so the big question is: do you have a job lined up? They are really hard to come by in the Scranton area, so if you don't already have one then I wouldn't suggest moving here to find one. It's tough enough to find a job in the Scranton/WB metro during healthy economic times.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 AM

Are there unskilled low paying jobs available in the $8-$10/hr range or is the job market so tough that those are hard to find too?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:02 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Are there unskilled low paying jobs available in the $8-$10/hr range or is the job market so tough that those are hard to find too?
Sadly these are hard to get also, and forget about full-time.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post

Feeling disappointed to hear that

After thinking about what I said in visiting area for a paltry 2 weeks to decide if I want to buy a place I realized that doesn't make too much sense. Now I'm thinking I should rent for at least 2 months and live in the type of place and in the type of area that I would want to live permanently. Plus with my situation now with living here in NJ with family I wouldn't even be giving up my current place but rather just coming out to rent for awhile to decide whether or not to buy Still accepting feedback tho

Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,814,196 times
$8-10 hour jobs are actually probably easy enough to get compared to higher paying jobs, with all of the warehouses around....and some of those probably pay more in the $10-12/hour range.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:05 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,981,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
I have to agree with this statement. While I very much liked the area when I lived there, our son still is there and he has had an extremely difficult time finding steady work of any type. Proceed with caution.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:58 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I have to agree with this statement. While I very much liked the area when I lived there, our son still is there and he has had an extremely difficult time finding steady work of any type. Proceed with caution.
This has been my 24 year olds son expierence, he works in retail and has yet to have a 40 hour work week, he gets darn close but never full-time. While I always appreciate Mr. Yuk's input and agree with him often, I defintely differ with his opinion of 8-10 dollar a hour jobs being easy to come by. My son currently earns $8.30 an hour this is the most he has been paid since moving here in 2009 and as I said above not full time.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,442 times
Ok thanks for the replies

I'm still undeterred at this point and am going to go through with renting somewhere in area for 2 mths to decide if I want to move there and if so use a 3rd month of renting to look for a place to buy. Probably would look at buying a VERY modest place and perhaps even a 'tiny house' and then maybe after a year or two if still real happy with the area I could upgrade to a single or <gasp> double wide lol.

Btw, anyone have any suggestions on renting for $300 a month or so in a rural/semi rural area? Is it possible to find something above someone's garage/barn or perhaps some people rent out shacks on their land for cheap? I want to rent outside of town because I want to get a feel for country living since that's what I'd be buying -- like something within 8 miles of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre though. Thanks

Last edited by mrpotatohead; 10-12-2012 at 01:42 AM..

Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,100,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpotatohead View Post
Ok thanks for the replies

I'm still undeterred at this point and am going to go through with renting somewhere in area for 2 mths to decide if I want to move there and if so use a 3rd month of renting to look for a place to buy. Probably would look at buying a VERY modest place and perhaps even a 'tiny house' and then maybe after a year or two if still real happy with the area I could upgrade to a single or <gasp> double wide lol.

Btw, anyone have any suggestions on renting for $300 a month or so in a rural/semi rural area? Is it possible to find something above someone's garage/barn or perhaps some people rent out shacks on their land for cheap? I want to rent outside of town because I want to get a feel for country living since that's what I'd be buying -- like something within 8 miles of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre though. Thanks
I really don't see you being able to find $300 a month in NEPA, unless you have a buddy renting something out. I don't know where you are coming from but $300 is really low for most places in the North.

Have you looked at Craigs List?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania