Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:06 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I'm sure it will be less than 31%....but they always announce some ridiculous increase to scare everybody, so that when they announce a 15% increase that they planned all along, the sheep are relieved rather than pissed off.
Baaaa...ahem. Sorry. Gotta get that under control. I think you guys need a new term. "Sheep" is so '08. People need to face facts: expenses have gone up all over the country, if not the globe. The average city resident is looking at an increase of $180 per year in costs related to the city. That is $15 per month. Is that really asking too much after the country's second worse economic event in it's history? I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
---we agree---and no one questions why this relatively small community needs 300+ employees???

i love how yesterday's paper stated they are thinking about modeling themselves after sarasota county(my old home base)---with communication of council open to the public---first they would have to start with at least a minimum of honesty and accountability in local government here---something sorely lacking
Bethlehem has 75K residents and 791 city employees.

Allentown has 107K residents with 1016 city employees.

Harrisburg has 47K residents with 699 city employees.

Lancaster has 55K residents with 612 city employees.

Wilkes-Barre has 41K residents with 305 city employees.

I do not see the issue. It seems perfectly in-line with the resident/city employee ratio of other PA cities.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
As an American and registered voter, it is your duty to keep tabs on your elected officials, question them and educate yourself on what goes on in your government. He wasn't hired. He was elected. BIG difference.
Magritte that's a bunch of bull. He gets paid to do it and paid a lot more than most in this area. He needs to earn it and I don't think he is. If you care so much why not volunteer? I just want him to spend our money wisely and I don't think he has. Let's all gather round the campfire now and sing kumbaya. Maybe we can hold hands with Uncle Tom and put a few section 8s in there while were at it.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Magritte that's a bunch of bull. He gets paid to do it and paid a lot more than most in this area. He needs to earn it and I don't think he is. If you care so much why not volunteer? I just want him to spend our money wisely and I don't think he has. Let's all gather round the campfire now and sing kumbaya. Maybe we can hold hands with Uncle Tom and put a few section 8s in there while were at it.
You think American voters don't have a duty to keep tabs on their officials, know what's going on in their government and understand how it all works? REALLY?

Volunteer for what?

Old 10-17-2012, 10:54 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Yet so many ignore the positives that have happened in our city in the last near-decade. Amazing. I think Leighton needs to set the tone and lead by example by taking a pay cut himself. If he shows he is willing to put his own head on the chopping block for the good of the city, it would go a long way in bolstering morale around here.
But just like Doherty in Scranton, the "positives" are all just smoke and mirrors downtown, at the expense of the neighborhoods. In my opinion, the focus needs to be on the residents and the neghborhoods, which will in turn make the entire city, including the downtown stronger. This philosophy of dumping money into downtown at the expense of the neighborhoods just creates a nice looking downtown (but usually with new/refurbished empty buildings) and deteriorating neighborhoods.

Leighton should also lay off anyone who was a relative or crony hire. Police officers should be the last people getting laid off in that city. In fact they should hire more. Get rid of useless departments like the "sign bureau." Yes, WB has a "sign bureau." Ive seen their truck. Cant honestly believe that a city the size of WB needs a department devoted to putting up stop signs and other street signs. The Parking Enforcement nazis should also be among the first to go.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:39 PM

I live in the city. The NUMBER ONE problem in this city is apathy among it's residents. There is a small contigent of us that do care and are working our butts off to improve the city but as evidenced by ChefKey's post, so many Wilkes Barreans live by "not my job" mentality. I'm fascinated by the "Sign Bureau". I called City Hall and they have no clue what I am referring to. I don't see anything wrong with parking enforcement either. Parking is always a premium in a city and if you don't follow the rules - ie pay for your time in the spot - you should be fined.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:52 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
Bethlehem has 75K residents and 791 city employees.

Allentown has 107K residents with 1016 city employees.

Harrisburg has 47K residents with 699 city employees.

Lancaster has 55K residents with 612 city employees.

Wilkes-Barre has 41K residents with 305 city employees.

I do not see the issue. It seems perfectly in-line with the resident/city employee ratio of other PA cities.

two questions---why are those employees necessary especially since so much of the city has multiple issues not addressed--what are they doing????

and many articles have stated that pa as a whole are top heavy with city/county/state workers and no improvements to show for it-----btw---my previous place of residence had 2x number--covered a larger area and had 291 employees when i left(city) and the place functioned 100 per cent better(maybe cause nepotism was strictly disallowed in hiring

Old 10-17-2012, 12:56 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
But just like Doherty in Scranton, the "positives" are all just smoke and mirrors downtown, at the expense of the neighborhoods. In my opinion, the focus needs to be on the residents and the neghborhoods, which will in turn make the entire city, including the downtown stronger. This philosophy of dumping money into downtown at the expense of the neighborhoods just creates a nice looking downtown (but usually with new/refurbished empty buildings) and deteriorating neighborhoods.

Leighton should also lay off anyone who was a relative or crony hire. Police officers should be the last people getting laid off in that city. In fact they should hire more. Get rid of useless departments like the "sign bureau." Yes, WB has a "sign bureau." Ive seen their truck. Cant honestly believe that a city the size of WB needs a department devoted to putting up stop signs and other street signs. The Parking Enforcement nazis should also be among the first to go.

my points too--btw--parking enforcement needs to monitor who actually park in the relatively scarce handicapped spots around town--and apparently parking using 2 spots with one car here is an okay thing

Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
I live in the city. The NUMBER ONE problem in this city is apathy among it's residents. There is a small contigent of us that do care and are working our butts off to improve the city but as evidenced by ChefKey's post, so many Wilkes Barreans live by "not my job" mentality. I'm fascinated by the "Sign Bureau". I called City Hall and they have no clue what I am referring to. I don't see anything wrong with parking enforcement either. Parking is always a premium in a city and if you don't follow the rules - ie pay for your time in the spot - you should be fined.
I've said that for a long time. I remeber Paul's old posts comparing Scranton and Wilkes-Barre and he painted Scranton residents as crotchety negative complainers and Wilkes-Barre residents as more positive. I had pointed out that I think its just that there's more apathy in Wilkes-Barre. I think W-B city may also have more out of town transient residents that don't have any real connection to the city, therefore aren't all that concerned with its future.

And yes there is a Sign Bureau. I've seen them outside my office putting up new street/parking signs after roadwork maybe 1-2 years ago. They had an official city truck with Wilkes-Barre City Sign Bureau painted on the side. And parking enforcement? One of the things that has killed downtown Scranton and Wilkes-Barre is paying to park and having to feed meters or risk parking tickets. That drives away employers and shoppers. You don't have to pay to park in Wilkes-Barre Twp or Dickson City, hence the booming business in those towns. Imagine if the 2 cities could be raking in all the tax money that Dickson City and W-B Twp makes from all those businesses? Maybe there wouldn't be so much strain on city residents, and I'm sure all that tax money from stores and restaurants would make whatever the city makes from parking meters look like chump change.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
two questions---why are those employees necessary especially since so much of the city has multiple issues not addressed--what are they doing????

and many articles have stated that pa as a whole are top heavy with city/county/state workers and no improvements to show for it-----btw---my previous place of residence had 2x number--covered a larger area and had 291 employees when i left(city) and the place functioned 100 per cent better(maybe cause nepotism was strictly disallowed in hiring
You'll have to be more specific about the issues. I can't speak about municipalities in another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania