Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 AM

6 posts, read 17,010 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

We are going to be moving from New York to PA since the cost is lower, and with a little one on the way, we need a nice area. We want something rural enough where you can see the stars at night and not worry about crime, and with reasonable ability to get to public transportation if need be. Good healthcare around is a must.

Any suggestions? I have been looking in Dunmore area so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 11:49 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Dunmore? Rural? Dunmore is basically as compact and urban as Scranton, seeing its right next to it. Reasonable ability to get to public transportation but also in a semi-rural area? Justus (Scott Twp.), Dalton, and Newton-Ransom come to mind, also the East Mountain section of Scranton....the COLTS buses service those areas.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Dunmore? Rural? Dunmore is basically as compact and urban as Scranton, seeing its right next to it. Reasonable ability to get to public transportation but also in a semi-rural area? Justus (Scott Twp.), Dalton, and Newton-Ransom come to mind, also the East Mountain section of Scranton....the COLTS buses service those areas.

Whats your thoughts on Forest Hills?

I work from home (web developer) so I am not worried much about employment in the area, I am more concerned with ability to get around easily once the daughter is born.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to be looking at them in an hour or two with the fiance.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:43 PM

I've never heard of Forest Hills. Do you mean Forest City? Seems like a nice enough Mayberry-type town, but a little bit remote, and gets significantly more snow in the winter. But probably pretty cheap real estate. And probably about a 30-40 minute drive to Scranton. I don't think there's any public transportation in Forest City. Carbondale is probably the closest place to there with bus service.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:03 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,255 times
Quote:
I've never heard of Forest Hills. Do you mean Forest City? Seems like a nice enough Mayberry-type town, but a little bit remote, and gets significantly more snow in the winter. But probably pretty cheap real estate. And probably about a 30-40 minute drive to Scranton. I don't think there's any public transportation in Forest City. Carbondale is probably the closest place to there with bus service.

I would agree with this statement 100% . Actually There is also Honesdale where you really dont need a car you can walk to shopping if need be .. and a hospital nearby with Peds offices ....

Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
I would agree with this statement 100% . Actually There is also Honesdale where you really dont need a car you can walk to shopping if need be .. and a hospital nearby with Peds offices ....

I checked out Honesdale a bit, seems the crime rate is pretty high. Think its alright or is it sketchy?

Old 10-19-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Might have to just get a truck.. Gas prices are about a buck cheaper in PA from the looks of it.

I'll take a look at Carbondale.

Any apartment/town home real estate agencies reliable around there? Oddly enough, I have found none on google, seems the real estate agents in that area could use a web developer...

Old 10-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apeirix View Post
I checked out Honesdale a bit, seems the crime rate is pretty high. Think its alright or is it sketchy?
Honesdale? High crime? no. Its probably as safe of a town as any in this area. Definitely a Mayberry vibe. Carbondale you'll want to avoid, not that there's no good sections, but its overall a dump. Probably the dumpiest town in the area. If you were to look in Carbondale, I would suggest the west side.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:47 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
You will probably be better off with a vehicle no matter where you settle, especially anything remotely (no pun...) 'rural'.

Also, don't assume Internet service will be 'state of the art' (if it matters)...check it out before you 'settle' on an area or neighborhood. In some rural areas service availability and quality can be section by section ... even house by house (long driveways on dead end roads etc.). There is some info on this if you search this forum as the topic that comes up occasionally.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:26 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apeirix View Post

Not much crime at all .. But the one or two things that do happen they make sure it hits the news ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania