Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:56 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
All I'll need is gas for the generator ,,
Always good to have some in the car and a siphon device ... in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 11:57 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times
According to AlGoreWeather.com the frogs and brimstone will start falling at midnight and will never stop.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:00 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
I second (or third?) alcohol as part of any essential weather survival kit. I'm a little nervous about this one. Sounds like a crazy blend of weather activity.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 PM

5,298 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Those of us who lived near the Susquehanna River during Hurricane Agnes in 1972, know what could happen if this new hurricane stalls over PA and upstate NY. Yes, there have been improvements in the dikes in the Wyoming Valley and a couple of flood control dams built (Cowanesque, Tioga-Hammond), but tropical storm Lee came very close to topping the **** at W-B and did flood West Pittston, Duryea parts of Edwardsville and Bloomsburg.

If you live in flood prone areas, think about how to preserve family momentos, financial records, etc., things that can't be replaced. Where will you go if you are flooded out? A mass evacuation order will cause big traffic jams, better to leave early before a warning has been issued. Take this seriously. This is not a time for joking.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Always good to have some in the car and a siphon device ... in case.

I'll fill 2-3 5 gallon jugs .. If I need more I'll go get it ... If I use less I'll pour into one of the cars ... Our generator runs ALMOST the whole house ...

Old 10-26-2012, 01:45 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
For those taking prescription meds, don't wait 'til the last dose to get your refill. If the power goes, the pharmacies may not be open.

As for me, I have groceries and meds and flashlights and candles. My Kindle is loaded with books and I have a gas stove so I can have hot food.

As for evac, when Forty Fort was ordered to evacuate in '11, the original order was for 8PM and then was changed to (I believe) 4PM. I left for W. Wyoming and had no problem with traffic.

Let's all prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Stay safe.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Jungle George a friend just weathered the storm out on Cat Island in the Bahamas where I used to live. They had the eye pass over and 110mph winds, but fared ok. I think you guys just missed the bullet on this one.

Yep Dan...we've got friends in The Bahamas too. We've had our share of direct hits here...don't like to see it happen ANYWHERE!!!

Common sense & being "prepared for the worst & hoping for the best" is the best advice. Those who scoff & think about "the boy who cried wolf" are usually the most unprepared, & almost always, have never had 130mph winds knocking at their front doors....

Old 10-26-2012, 01:59 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,998 times
Preparation is different than panic. I'm always prepared for every storm no matter how insignificant. This one sounds like it will be a doozy, but I'm not going to run around crying that the sky is falling. Instead I'll quietly make the necessary preparations.

I had to evacuate my apartment in Harrisburg last year during Lee. I remember what that was like and it wasn't fun. The subsequent black mold was not fun either.

PPL is projecting more than 4,000 "cases of trouble" which could mean a TON of outages.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:00 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
I prepared in June. We moved from PA to AZ.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:12 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
I'll fill 2-3 5 gallon jugs .. If I need more I'll go get it ... If I use less I'll pour into one of the cars ... Our generator runs ALMOST the whole house ...
Can't beat having a generator. My wife scoffed at me when I bought ours, but changed her tune last year after the Oct 30 snowstorm. We had no power for 4 or 5 days, ran the generator the whole time. We had lights, heat (portable), refrigeration and TV! All the essentials.

Two recommendations....get gas before the storm, and if you have a portable generator (as opposed to the whole-house type) secure it somehow so it doesn't disappear on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania