Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 10:07 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

We did not know that ours changed last year. There should have been more information about the change in our news. They supposedly like us to use the whole nine digits. It is only the last four numbers that changed for us.

I found it hard to find out what the correct numbers. We received an insurance bill with the right new numbers. So I called to correct them – thinking that they made a mistake. They mentioned the 911 readdressing; but were not sure if it was their mistake. So they agreed to change the numbers back to the old Zip-Code. I tried calling our post office to find out who was correct and got almost no help. I tried calling a central PO and was told to go to the USPS web site and fill in my address: https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action There the correct new Zip-Code popped up.

I am just posting this because I am not sure if others are aware of the change? Of course; there is a chance that you were not changed?

If there are others that were not aware of this change, in our area, I will probably make this same post on the national forum. Perhaps we were the only ones that were oblivious to the change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 10:22 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We did not know that ours changed last year. There should have been more information about the change in our news. They supposedly like us to use the whole nine digits. It is only the last four numbers that changed for us.

I found it hard to find out what the correct numbers. We received an insurance bill with the right new numbers. So I called to correct them – thinking that they made a mistake. They mentioned the 911 readdressing; but were not sure if it was their mistake. So they agreed to change the numbers back to the old Zip-Code. I tried calling our post office to find out who was correct and got almost no help. I tried calling a central PO and was told to go to the USPS web site and fill in my address: https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action There the correct new Zip-Code popped up.

I am just posting this because I am not sure if others are aware of the change? Of course; there is a chance that you were not changed?

If there are others that were not aware of this change, in our area, I will probably make this same post on the national forum. Perhaps we were the only ones that were oblivious to the change?

I wasn't part of 911 readdressing but my mother was, so I'll have to let her know because it is likely that her plus four has changed. Personally I've never used the plus four unless a form explicitly asks for it, and then I use the USPS website.

I have a suspicion it's just a trick by the postal service to get more hits on their site so they can make themselves feel better and feel like they haven't become obsolete.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:32 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I wasn't part of 911 readdressing but my mother was, so I'll have to let her know because it is likely that her plus four has changed. Personally I've never used the plus four unless a form explicitly asks for it, and then I use the USPS website.

I have a suspicion it's just a trick by the postal service to get more hits on their site so they can make themselves feel better and feel like they haven't become obsolete.
My feeling is that our PO's do not even like us calling to find our the correct information.

We do not use the last four either – except; we have address labels made up with the last four. We also have used them when asked. My wife just ran a new set of labels off after we got the word.

We just feel a little stupid that we were not aware.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
My feeling is that our PO's do not even like us calling to find our the correct information.

We do not use the last four either – except; we have address labels made up with the last four. We also have used them when asked. My wife just ran a new set of labels off after we got the word.

We just feel a little stupid that we were not aware.
Don't feel stupid. I think most people aren't even aware that there are four extra digits on their zip code to begin with

Old 10-26-2012, 01:03 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,896 times
I think the last 4 digits do have other significances too sometimes. Since a lot of us in the W-B area are 18702, when you sign online petitions to politicians they often request the last 4 digits as some of the people cross boundaries of jurisdiction in the same zip code.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:44 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
I get all my mail at a PO Box, so my +4 didn't change. It never occurred to me that I could have a zip+4 at home. Never had a house number until the 911 project came along, either.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
The USPS.com website doesn't like my new 911 address whether I say I'm in Shawnee 18356 or East Stroudsburg 18301 or 18302. Guess I'll stick with the PO Box zip code. And just when I thought I was "normal" having a house number and everything, the Post Office says they never heard of my address!

Old 10-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The USPS.com website doesn't like my new 911 address whether I say I'm in Shawnee 18356 or East Stroudsburg 18301 or 18302. Guess I'll stick with the PO Box zip code. And just when I thought I was "normal" having a house number and everything, the Post Office says they never heard of my address!
I grew up on a rural route. My address was RR2 and then the box number. I had to explain any time I ordered something through mail order that I did not have a PO Box, that the RR stood for rural route and UPS/FedEx both knew that. Before the readdressing project, when I would order things online for my mother who still lives at the address, I'd have to finagle the address to make it appear like it was a street address or else online entry forms wouldn't accept it. Of course, since she is on a state route now her address is State Route XXX. Wondering if I'll have issues with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania