Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 PM

10 posts, read 28,626 times

Advertisements

Hey guys

Me, my husband and three young kids want out of NYC and was looking in east stroundsburg Pa (monroe county) My husband would still be traveling every morning back to work in Manattan, NY
is there any towns closer then east stroundsberg but still in pa not Nj
where it would only take maybe a hour to get to NyC? We have a buget of about 250,000 to get a house. Any suggestions would be great.

Jenny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 04:29 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmustbe View Post
Hey guys

Me, my husband and three young kids want out of NYC and was looking in east stroundsburg Pa (monroe county) My husband would still be traveling every morning back to work in Manattan, NY
where it would only take maybe a hour to get to NyC? We have a buget of about 250,000 to get a house. Any suggestions would be great.

Jenny
East Stroudsburg is nowhere near Philadelphia and you should probably be posting here (//www.city-data.com/forum/north...-pennsylvania/) for better information on your prospective move.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:46 PM

932 posts, read 1,943,666 times
Quote:
Hey guys

Jenny
As Summer said, East Stroudsburg is in NEPA, not Greater Phila, however you could find a nice rowhome in Philly for that price. Philly to Manhattan by train is about 1 hr 15 mins.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:58 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Hey guys

Jenny
As BTA88 said, a lot of people do commute to Manhattan from Philadelphia or Bucks County via train. It is doable.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
As Summer said, East Stroudsburg is in NEPA, not Greater Phila, however you could find a nice rowhome in Philly for that price. Philly to Manhattan by train is about 1 hr 15 mins.

Heck for $250k you can buy a single home with ground in the burbs!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
The preceding posts were moved from another thread in the Philadelphia forum in order to maximize the number of relevant answers.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Hey guys

Jenny
Most of us do not wish that commute on anybody. You can search through the threads here on the Northeastern, PA forum. Many are thinking the same – escape the city and move to PA.

That commute is not cheap; physically, mentally and financially. Not everybody is cut out to spend three, four or more hours everyday on our roads (whether you drive yourself or use transportation). Mentally; those hours that you loose everyday are your quality time hours with your family. I have to wonder what the divorce rate runs for people billed as having the longest commute in our nation? Financially; most do not add up all the bus fares, the cost of maintaining and operating their vehicles and tolls, babysitting, and other cost.

That said; you are welcome to the area; if that is what you still desire. The closest PA areas to the city (Manhattan) would be Monroe County, the Slat Belt, or the Easton area. Monroe and Easton run buses. You can do the Google Earth program or MSNBC's MapQuest and check out the millage to where you want to live.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
You can get plenty of house in the East Stroudsburg area for $250k but the commute to Manhattan by bus may make your husband wish you hadn't moved because he'd be missing nearly all of your kids' activities. It's way more than an hour each way, and there will be no train here in our lifetime.

Houses with East Stroudsburg zip code 18302 generally go to the North High School, while 18301 generally go to South. We live in the East Stroudsburg School District and we send our kids to Notre Dame which we like very much. You must research schools in the area before considering a move.

I personally commute by car to Morris County, NJ and at about 40 minutes (35 miles) each way I've got plenty of time to catch most of my kids' activities and I'm not too exhausted to do yard work on weekends or some laundry/dishes on weeknights.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
I used to live in that area and commuted to Wayne NJ, roughly a little more than half way to NYC. Trust me, you DON'T want to do that every day. A good day was 90 minutes to two hours each way, and there weren't many good days. And that's only to Wayne. You still have to drive through eastern NJ and then deal with the tunnel traffic to get into the city. Many the people in the community where I lived who worked in NY would leave at 5AM and not get home until 8PM. Every day. Think hard before making that move. Rent a hotel room in the area for a week or two (not in the summer or around the holidays) and do the commute before you commit to anything. It will likely change your mind.

It makes your life miserable. And that's just the commute. There are a whole lot of other reasons (crime, bad schools, drugs, gangs, poor infrastructure, lack of health care options) not to live in the Poconos. Please be cautious. I've been gone from there for 7 years now and would never move back.

The Lehigh Valley (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton) area is much better, but the commute will be almost as bad.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:21 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
You'll lose money on the house the second you sign the papers ... 80% of Monroe county is ""Under Water"" so to speak.. I would look elsewhere .. That trip to the city ... Good luck in the winter .. Its a dumb move IMO .. Ive done it and it was Not worth it ,,,, Used up 3 cars in 5 yrs and forget that bus .. The ticket alone for a month is close to $500 .. I would maybe move closer to the city or look for a job elsewhere 1st ...

Monroe county is the worst county in NEPA .. Read the local paper , watch the local news online .. It free ...
Do your homework or you'll be sorry ...

Stroudsburg & the Poconos PA news, sports, schools, entertainment, and shopping | poconorecord.com - The Pocono Record

WNEP.com — Scranton / Wilkes-Barre / Hazleton | News, Weather & Sports from WNEP-TV — Proud to Serve Northeastern and Central Pennsylvania
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania