Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 5,512 times

Advertisements

The zip code 18702, what's the area called? Luzern county? I'm very interested in a house near Carey Ave. & Oak but also concerned about flooding, being it's so near the river. How prone is that area to going under water? Should I listen to those telling me to stay away from it? That is my only fear. Please advise!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
Buy the cart and then a broken down horse .. You'll be fine ...

Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Oak and Carey St. in Wilkes Barre? The last time that area experienced a major flood was in 1972. The next major flood since then was last year and was above the 1972 level however that area along with most of the Wyoming Valley is protected by a levee system much higher than it was in 1972 which prevented the disaster that occurred in 1972. I don't the specifics for that area and there might have been some minor flooding like basement level. I'll note the height of the levee was just enough.

Having said that the river will flood that house at some point in time but when it does that will be an epic disaster, just taking a guess but a house in that area would probably see second story flooding if it were to flood. A flood of that magnitude could be next week or could be 1000 years from now....

Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I may just gamble on this!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
my only advice---home alarms,windows,doors that lock,and a fierce looking dog-----btw---flooding is the least likely problem there

Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 PM

"but the last flood never touched the second story of homes----(no problem"----no problem for who??!!! I like to stay high & dry. As much as I LOVE the house I think I'll look for higher grounds! Call me chicken-little! Thank you, everyone for your input.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:50 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
I don't know if there is misunderstanding here but the last time that area saw any major flooding was 1972. It would have seen major flooding if it were not for the levee system this last Fall and that flood was greater than the 1972 event. To get flooded you would need an event greater than last year, that will happen but like I said it might happen next week or happen 1000 years from now.

There is no flood in modern times that I'm aware of that big in this area.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 AM

This is such a big decision. Buying this house is not like buying a pair of shoes that I can throw in the closet & get another one. I'm weighing all the factors & appreciate everyone's input. I'd take the chance if it was only a little water in the basement. I realize there are no guarantees. Crime? If I have to get a Big Fierce Dog & heavy duty locks & an alarm system, what's the point? We're trying to go up the ladder, not down.....I'll be in town in approximately 3 weeks, walk around & get a feel for the place first hand....decisions, decisions....again, your remarks are very helpful, thanks!

Old 12-04-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't know if there is misunderstanding here but the last time that area saw any major flooding was 1972. It would have seen major flooding if it were not for the levee system this last Fall and that flood was greater than the 1972 event. To get flooded you would need an event greater than last year, that will happen but like I said it might happen next week or happen 1000 years from now.

There is no flood in modern times that I'm aware of that big in this area.

the area was flooded near the bridge in sept flood of 2011 but it did not reach the second floor nor even cover the first--just local streets nearby--until the local water areas are dredged a bad flood could happen again--remember last years flooding was after only 4 days of steady hard rains----plus this area could use regular cleaning of the storm drains--a thing i doubt will happen under the new budget

Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HjoAnn View Post
This is such a big decision. Buying this house is not like buying a pair of shoes that I can throw in the closet & get another one. I'm weighing all the factors & appreciate everyone's input. I'd take the chance if it was only a little water in the basement. I realize there are no guarantees. Crime? If I have to get a Big Fierce Dog & heavy duty locks & an alarm system, what's the point? We're trying to go up the ladder, not down.....I'll be in town in approximately 3 weeks, walk around & get a feel for the place first hand....decisions, decisions....again, your remarks are very helpful, thanks!
while this is not anywhere near inner city crimes--small petty crimes do exsist along carey ave----there are quiet areas in s wilkes barre--behind st theresa's church---also closer to ashley---other wb posters would have better ideas---try looking in forty fort,wyoming,west wyoming,pittston township(area called suscon)hanover township and the bear creek area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania