Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 AM

403 posts, read 770,855 times

Advertisements

One more try on this one....if anyone is from the Moscow area and can tell me if the area is still a nice place to live, please let me know. While driving through, it seems peaceful, but looks can be deceiving. Has crime infiltrated this place like all of the other small towns in NEPA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 04:29 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,954 times
It is a nice place to live, i'm up that way alot, and my kids went to North Pocono. My ex still lives in Gouldsboro. There isn't alot of crime there, not like Scranton, but i'm sure it's not perfect, if i could, i would def live there.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM

Right now, we are living in an area that used to be very peaceful.....however, the crime from the surrounding areas is slowly working its way in. I hate to make a move, only to find it's the same way there! I know there are no guarantees anywhere you go. I just want to make sure it's not going downhill before we even move! We were looking in some of the neighborhoods, not out in the boonies.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:34 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
Right now, we are living in an area that used to be very peaceful.....however, the crime from the surrounding areas is slowly working its way in. I hate to make a move, only to find it's the same way there! I know there are no guarantees anywhere you go. I just want to make sure it's not going downhill before we even move! We were looking in some of the neighborhoods, not out in the boonies.
It's a nice area with a good school district.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,115 times
The issues and problems of the Poconos are working their way to the Moscow area. It's still a nice area, BUT the demographic and issues have been changing as people continue to move to the Poconos from NJ and NY and bring the nonsense with them.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 AM

That's what I was afraid of, WeLuvPA! I was hoping the high taxes might keep them out of that area. I just found out that a daughter of my mother in law's friend lives up that way. She says the crime is VERY low and the bad elements aren't up that way. But again, how long will that last? The thought of making a move, then being in just another crime ridden place is not appealing! I don't know if there's anywhere left in this general area that isn't becoming overrun! Or ANYWHERE for that matter!?

Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,115 times
I lived in the North Pocono district for years, its nice there for sure. The issue is the element creeping across from Mt. Pocono, Tobyhanna into Gouldsboro then Moscow.

No metal detectors when I was there in the late 90's.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,263 times
Perception of crime is relative. You are all blowing proverbial smoke. If anything it's the better heeled and moneyed crowd in their Land Rovers pushing the locals into trailer courts that caused them to go on a crime wave.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Metal detectors don't bother me so much. If they're actually used, it's not such a bad idea. It's sad that this is what it's come to, but a good preventative IF used right. We are in the Hazleton school district right now, so N Pocono is a FANTASTIC school in comparison!

Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 PM

63 posts, read 88,798 times
LOVE the people and area. Draw back. Scrantonians are sliding in, and not the ones you want. The Scarntonians that want to turn Moscow, Elmhurst, Roaring Brook, etc, into Green Ridge East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania