U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:13 AM

31,578 posts, read 71,664,125 times

Advertisements

Hello again, fellow City-Data addicts and prospective new PA residents! For my second series of photos, I headed on up to the quiet country town of Tunkhannock, the county seat of Wyoming County, and home to about 3,000 friendly individuals, many of whom waved to me from their front porches as I walked by around midday today. Tunkhannock is located roughly a half-hour NW of Scranton via Route 6 and a half-hour North of Wilkes-Barre via Route 309 to Route 29. The town is relatively self-sufficient, with its own Wal-Mart, Burger King, supermarkets, professional offices and services, banks, etc. As I take you on a journey through the leafy streets of Tunkhannock, I hope you appreciate the "Gateway to the Endless Mountains" as much as I do! Enjoy!

P.S. As always, I'm open for suggestions for my next photo shoot! If nobody speaks up, I'll probably head to Moscow next, another quiet country town about 20 minutes south of Scranton via I-380.

Welcome to Tunkhannock!

A Beautiful Mountain Scene Just to the South of Town Along Route 29.

Tunkhannock is a blend of agriculture and urban culture, as evidenced by this barn along Route 29, located about an eighth of a mile south of the Tunkhannock Wal-Mart!

Entering Tunkhannock from the South Along Route 29.

A Downtown Antiques Store, One of Many in Wyoming County.

(CONTINUED BELOW)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 11:20 AM

Smile Continuation

Just a sampling of some of the homes along West Tioga Street (Route 6), just up the hill from the downtown area.

A West Tioga Street resident speaks his/her mind about what has happened to their home recently in an effort to deter drunk driving, an epidemic problem in PA.

A typical side street in Tunkhannock.

More typical Tunkhannock dwellings.

(CONTINUED BELOW)

Old 10-01-2006, 11:25 AM

Smile Finale of Tunkhannock

Wyoming County Courthouse

Rear of the Wyoming County Courthouse

Borough Hall and Fire Station

Some rowhomes converted to retail space.

Fitze's Department Store

A pair of downtown scenes.

The lovingly-restored Dietrich Theatre.

Greenwood Furniture

The juncture of Tioga & Bridge; Center of Tunkhannock

Tunkhannock Post Office

A Victorian charmer on the edge of downtown.

Another beautiful mountain scene paints the backdrop of Tunkhannock.

I hope you all enjoyed Tunkhannock; Come back real soon!

Old 10-01-2006, 12:21 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,950,003 times
Default Beautiful Photos

Hey Scranton, thanks again for the wonderful photos you have been so nice to take for us. The weather looks a bit threatening in them; what's the forecast for the near future? I am in So. Calif. now, but will be in the Lehigh Valley for the next two weeks. Thanks again and keep the photos coming!

Old 10-01-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
Hey Scranton, thanks again for the wonderful photos you have been so nice to take for us. The weather looks a bit threatening in them; what's the forecast for the near future? I am in So. Calif. now, but will be in the Lehigh Valley for the next two weeks. Thanks again and keep the photos coming!

Well, the forecast for Eastern PA, in general, is "cloudy with a chance of cloudier!" Right now I'm being proven wrong though, as the sun has now prevailed, giving way to clear skies! In fact, I'm going to head out now for a quick six-mile run around town; I'll be back on later!

Old 10-01-2006, 01:47 PM

1,794 posts, read 2,982,289 times
Darn, SWB, I'll say it again: WHY are you going to be an accountant; you're a talented writer, journalist, storyteller. You should attempt to sell those lovely photos and captions to the local Chamber of Commerce. Beautiful. Thanks so much for posting them!

Old 10-01-2006, 03:56 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,351,663 times
OMG! I love this town! I am going to cook dinn dinn right now and come back and look at these photos again. The homes are gorgeous and the town is so cute and quaint. I love the mountains!
Thank you so so much Scranton

Old 10-01-2006, 04:40 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,846,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Darn, SWB, I'll say it again: WHY are you going to be an accountant; you're a talented writer, journalist, storyteller. You should attempt to sell those lovely photos and captions to the local Chamber of Commerce. Beautiful. Thanks so much for posting them!
Hear, Hear. And ditto.

Great job as usual, SWB. Thanks so much. I, for one, would love to see Moscow too, so when you get the chance, fire away!

(PS-- the descritopn of the overcast days has me really longing to get to NEPA. Maybe I'm preverse, but I really love gray and rainy days.)

BTW, while I think you'd make a great writer, maybe it's a good idea to have accounting to fall back on. Not a comment on your talent, but on the small number of people who actually make a decent living writing full time...

Last edited by Griffis; 10-01-2006 at 04:49 PM..

Old 10-01-2006, 05:38 PM

Scranton, I can't wait for a cold snowy day! We will probably be moving up during a blizzard!!!!! The sun down here is killing my eyes!

Old 10-02-2006, 01:27 PM

Hey Paul, when can you get some photos of Old Forge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania