Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 5,332 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a 1,300-1,400 sq. ft. chalet style home in the Poconos. It is being completely renovated...new windows, siding, insulation, roof. Everything is brand new. I'm nervous about going with an electric heat pump because I am unsure how expensive the monthlly bill could be. We generally leave thermostat at 50 when we aren't there, and probably use the house 2-4 weekends a month. Anyone out there with similar situation that wouldn't mind sharing their experiences? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,788,138 times
Depends on the outside temperature, as it gets colder they become less efficient and at some point it switches to the auxiliary which in your case I would assume is electric resistance which is $$$.

They should have an efficiency rating for the different temperatures and that's going to be based on resistance electric being 100%. As an example in the 50's it might be 250% efficient.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 AM

5,287 posts, read 6,089,975 times
Have you looked into a geothermal system? A higher installation cost, but there is a 30% federal tax credit available and you'll save big money on electric utility bills including air conditioning.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:14 PM

27 posts, read 42,402 times
I work with the geothermal systems on occasion. You save on fossil fuel, but use alot of electric. Not only on the heat pump but on the variable speed drive for the well also. There are usually heat pump discounts from electrical service providers, but nothing substantial. Heat pumps are generally installed into geothermal units, as well as back up heat. They do not need to be electric back up, you can use a hot water coil, but plan on feeding that with a form of fossil fuel. The back up heat is only activated when demand is over say 5 degrees. Nowadays you can actually run a condensor in reverse and gain heat from a central air system, that would be my choice. 1400 square feet would need roughly 3.5 tons, 35 amps of electric, vs 20amps for the well, 40 amps for the heat pump, and 60 amps for back up resistive heat ( if choosing electric) My .02 cents.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:02 PM

22 posts, read 55,104 times
What is the best and most economical way to heat a house? A pellet stove?

Old 12-18-2012, 03:18 AM

In Northeastern PA easily coal. The only advantage a pellet stove has over coal is less ash. Coal is cheaper, it's easier to maintain, far less storage space required, unlike pellets it can be stored anywhere, it's safer, more options avaiable from inserts to boilers to heat your whole house....

There is more information here:

Anthracite Coal & Bituminous Coal Heating

Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 PM

5,102 posts, read 4,865,917 times
Have you looked at a hybrid heat pump system? I have one that heats with the heat pump until the temp drops to 40 deg. and then automatically switches over to propane heat. Love it. Additionally, if I loose power, the heat can be switched to "Aux" regardless of temp which allows it to work off of propane, using only 110 volts (which I can power with my portable generator) vs 220 volts (which my generator can't power). Unfortunately, I have no idea what the operating cost is.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:57 PM

3,027 posts, read 7,888,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ces0505 View Post
Hi, I have a 1,300-1,400 sq. ft. chalet style home in the Poconos. It is being completely renovated...new windows, siding, insulation, roof. Everything is brand new. I'm nervous about going with an electric heat pump because I am unsure how expensive the monthlly bill could be. We generally leave thermostat at 50 when we aren't there, and probably use the house 2-4 weekends a month. Anyone out there with similar situation that wouldn't mind sharing their experiences? Thanks!
I cannot see how a heat pump will work,to cold,no heat below 25.If you have a run at 20 you are SOL unless you have backup.
I live in North FL and have propane heater for backup,we had awhile back a run of 15.I do have 13 seer heat pump,very efficient.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:15 PM

22 posts, read 55,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
In Northeastern PA easily coal. The only advantage a pellet stove has over coal is less ash. Coal is cheaper, it's easier to maintain, far less storage space required, unlike pellets it can be stored anywhere, it's safer, more options avaiable from inserts to boilers to heat your whole house....

There is more information here:

Anthracite Coal & Bituminous Coal Heating
Because of the soot, isn't coal more dirty to burn?

Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javs5 View Post
Because of the soot, isn't coal more dirty to burn?
Typically soot is associated with the flue gas, anthracite is nearly pure carbon and burns cleaner than anything except for gas. It burns with light blue flame which is an indicator of complete combustion. The only thing coming out of the flue other than a clear flue gas is a a minute amount of very fine fly ash that would be invisible to the eye. For all intents and purposes nothing, oil is going top produce more issues outside than coal if you want some perspective. That fly ash will also collect in the bottom of the chimney and in any horizontal runs in the flue pipe. This need to be cleaned out, usually once a year. That is the only maintenance required on the flue and can be done your average homeowner in minutes to an hour depending on your setup. Wood or pellets requires maintenance on the whole chimney to remove creosote.

As far as the product goes Anthracite used for consumers is very thoroughly cleaned, your mileage will vary depending on supplier, time of year etc. It's typically damp if you're getting home delivery which eliminates nearly all the dust during that step. Some places offer the coal coated in oil. From there you can use a garden sprayer to lightly dampen the coal you're going to use, I'll note many manufacturers don't want you doing this because of corrosion issues on hoppers. There is various things you can do, for example in this setup the dust from the coal is completely eliminated:

EFM DF 520 Biofuel Boiler System_0001.wmv - YouTube

That leaves you with the ash removal, I've seen some things like for example some of the ash pans in the smaller stokers are the same size as large baking dishes and they were able to get the covers for them. Slip the cover on before removing the pan. Overall though you just have to be careful, treat it like eggs and get it out of the house.

I have no experience with pellets and little experience with wood. The consensus I gather from those that have used both is that the coal is about the same as far as dirt goes if not better. It's irrelevant at my house as it's closed off from the main part of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania