Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 12:27 PM

908 posts, read 1,547,960 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
Does anyone know of a farm that sells lambs and other livestock that are grass fed, or grain fed in case of fowl, with no hormones? We want to stock our deep freezer and buying a whole lambs from a farm ends up being cheaper and healthier (as long as they are not fed crap or given hormones).
I can't control the pollution in the air,(we have plenty of air pollution just by having one of the highest smoker rates in the country, fracking will only worsen it), but I can control to some degree what goes in my family's body.
We prefer the farmers do all the butchering themselves, but if they don't and there is a nearby location where they do butcher, I guess I can rent a small truck and take the animal there.

Anywhere in Eastern PA is fine. I can't, or rather WON'T travel too far west of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area.
Also, if now is not the time when they actually sell their lambs, please tell me what time of year they do, if you know. I'm in no great rush, but would like the information now so I can prepare my freezer, and trip.
Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 02:46 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,919,066 times
I have bought meat and poultry from these folks, both at the farm and from their stand at Easton Farmer's Market: Valley View Farms (I see they are not doing whole/half beef orders right now)

I have not been down yet, but the Easton Farmer's Market has a winter market, details here:
Easton Farmers' Market Winter Mart

Hope that helps!

Old 12-26-2012, 05:07 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,972,534 times
In Tannersville, if you make a left (heading north on 611) on Warner Road and go about three fourths of a mile, there is a sheep farmer (house on the left and fields and barn on the right). I do not know if they sell lamb? But you could stop and ask.

Are you in Monroe or up by Scranton?

There is a farmer up by Newfoundland that sells buffalo.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:10 PM

5,287 posts, read 6,089,975 times
New Zealand lamb is grass fed. You can buy it at Wegmans.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:00 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,113,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
In Tannersville, if you make a left (heading north on 611) on Warner Road and go about three fourths of a mile, there is a sheep farmer (house on the left and fields and barn on the right). I do not know if they sell lamb? But you could stop and ask.

Are you in Monroe or up by Scranton?

There is a farmer up by Newfoundland that sells buffalo.

That place with the Buffalo is in Hamlin ... Past Newfoundland .. They have a 20 % off sale on pork this week and they are only open Fri- Sat .
http://www.thebuffaloshoppe.com/

Last edited by Riverside4ever; 12-26-2012 at 06:16 PM..

Old 12-26-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
That place with the Buffalo is in Hamlin ... Past Newfoundland .. They have a 20 % off sale on pork this week and they are only open Fri- Sat .
www.thebuffaloshoppe.com
Thanks, Riverside! My son bought some buffalo burger up there a few years ago. He thought that he was closer to Newfoundland when he went there. I looked one time myself and did not find the place. Is it right on 196? He thought that he was on 196 – but wasn't sure when I told him that 191 ran through Newfoundland.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:44 PM

908 posts, read 1,547,960 times
I'm closer to Scranton, so but am willing to go towards Monroe & Lehigh Valley. I actually like those areas better than where we are(especially the shopping).
I will definitely check these places out.
I buy from Wegman's all the time, they seem to have the best quality meat, especially since they stopped using the 'pink' slime. Its just the lamb & everything is becoming so expensive. Just looking to make bigger purchase to save some money, in the near future.
Thanks guys!

Old 12-27-2012, 03:48 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,113,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Thanks, Riverside! My son bought some buffalo burger up there a few years ago. He thought that he was closer to Newfoundland when he went there. I looked one time myself and did not find the place. Is it right on 196? He thought that he was on 196 – but wasn't sure when I told him that 191 ran through Newfoundland.

Its on 191 ( at that point its also still tech 196 also .. ) You go through the light in Hamlin corners and it a 1/2 mile on the left , Big red Barn , You Cant miss it ..

Old 12-27-2012, 05:01 AM

Riverside,

You must have some sheep farmers up by you. Also, north of Scranton, there are many farms (lots of farmland).

I'll check out the buffalo burgers one of these days. Maybe I'll buy some for my son's birthday this spring.

Colorfulchic, a buffalo would fill your freezer!

Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 AM

Actually, on the subject of grain feed beef; has anybody ever traveled I-40 around Wildorado, TX? Wildorado is about twenty miles west of Amarillo. There is one of our Country's large stock pens just to the east of Wildorado. You can actually see the cows on the Google Earth program. If you are traveling I-40, on a hot summer day and the wind is blowing in your direction; the smell can melt your socks off. These are all grass fed cows – it is the holding practices that gives them a bad name.

There is a butcher shop that I have used for years down by Brodheadsville. I had asked if the butcher bought from local farmers. I was told that he used to buy locally; but the system has changed and now he doesn't know where his meat comes from.

It is obvious that most livestock is grass fed. It is the treatment in their final days and the nutritional supplemental additives, that we feed and administer, that are objectionable. Slaughtering practices and sanitation are also big issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania