Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
What's a troll?
Literally?

In the context of this forum?

It would be someone who joins the forum simply to entice arguments or to disrupt forum decorum and then doesn't post again while laughing over the carnage they have caused. Trolls might also post spam, advertising, and make nasty comments to others in hopes of eliciting a heated response. They thrive out of getting a "rise" from others. On the NEPA sub-forum some have made allegations that "Rumandcoke" was a "troll" who was trying to emulate me in order to make fun of me, even though I think she was indeed a REAL person with REAL inquiries about Scranton before our oh so welcoming NEPA residents scared her to Massachusetts.

People on the NJ forum have called me a "troll" before too, so bear in mind that this term is tossed around VERY liberally on this forum. They even rallied to try to get me banned in December 2006 because they were tiring of debating with me.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 01-08-2008 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Typos! Sheesh!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:26 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
Shrek is not a troll!!!!! He is a ogre!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Shrek is not a troll!!!!! He is a ogre!
Oops! You're correct. I still prefer "donkey" though! After all, I AM a Democratic jackass, am I not?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:20 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,770 times
Thanks, Paul. I know what trolling is in terms of fishing - throwing out your baited line and motoring slowly in your boat in hopes of getting a bite - and I figured it was something similar, but wasn't sure.

I have a friend with a Bingo troll that she swears helps her win her Bingo games. I found a picture but can't get it to paste here. It's similar to this one:

Bingo Angel Troll. Fluorescent Hair - eBay (item 170183407212 end time Jan-10-08 17:31:08 PST) (broken link)

Old 01-08-2008, 10:45 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Cool Don't people have better things to do with their lives than to "troll"?

Finally, after all of this time, I find out what a troll is in C-D forum life! Oh, joy, thanks, SWB! See, some of the smartest folks are in NE PA.

I have seen the term bantered around quite a bit lately and finally did a forum search to figure out what it could imply.

Now, I know why I have about 10 posts on various forums that have been orphaned. I was acting as an advocate for something that I felt strongly about up against a pretender. Shame on him/her! Maybe on me for being combative.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:31 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
There is no single definition of trolling available, this is why there might be slight differences in approach, depending on the moderator. Also there are people out there that label others as trolls just because they disagree with them ...
Now lets get back on topic
Yac.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:36 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,770 times
Okay, back on topic:

I think a lot of what helps people develop their opinions about a place is their life experience and their prejudices that they've formed based on that life experience. I grew up in Montoursville, a neighboring community of Williamsport. Montoursville was basically a "white" community, with very few (none at times) minorities. Most families were of a Christian background, be it fundamentalist or Catholic or anything in between. There were varied economic backgrounds but nobody really "poor". The census puts the population somewhere around 6,000.

Based on that upbringing, to me Williamsport is a "big city". Any place with over 10,000 in population tends to scare me, making me feel that I'd be lost there. Also, Williamsport is very multicultural and very economically diverse. It's a totally different feeling from Montoursville. That being said, however, Williamsport has a rich history and even though (to me) it's a big city it still has a small-town feel to it. There are neighborhoods where people know and watch out for each other. It has a vibrant, growing downtown and many opportunities for all types of people. There is crime but it's not outrageous by any means (not in comparison to the really big cities) and there are dedicated public servants who work to keep things in check.

As with any place, you have good people and bad people. A lot of a person's success in moving to a new place depends on that person's attitude when they move there. If you expect to be rejected and ostracized, then you probably will be. If you go in with a chip on your shoulder, you'll most likely find that that chip is justified (at least in your own eyes). If you go in with a positive attitude, expecting to make friends and contribute to the betterment of your new community, then you'll most likely have a postive experience.

So, to anyone considering relocating to Williamsport, I'd say go for it and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2008, 03:20 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Smile Miss Billtown and its people.

Hear, hear, Dawne.

No one is going to make another person happy. You must seek out those things that give you happiness no matter where you live. And, you will have the added bonus of making others happy around you.

Having grown up in Williamsport and still visiting 60 years later several times a year, I still love it there. Yes, there has been a lot of change over the years, but the character of the people and surroundings has not changed.

It is a generous friendly community to raise a family or to retire in. Anyone who chooses to live in Williamsport or any of the surrounding towns, such as Montoursville, should be quite happy there IMO.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,440 times
Default Williamsport...............what a shame

I am 40 years old and lived in Williamsport for 39 of those years. I have to say, Williamsport was a WONDERFUL town to grow up in. Personally, I lived and went to school in Loyalsock, but then again, we're only talking a 5 to 10min drive from one area to the other.
In the 70's we never had to lock our doors and our neighbors were also our friends. When I grew up in the 80's, it was a safe and fun place to be. I can remember "dollar night" at the local movie theatre on Tuesday nights, and on Friday and Saturday's everyone under 21 was downtown at, what we called, "the circuit". Kids would just drive around town, park on the side of the roads, and just hang out. Kinda like American Graffatti. We never caused any problems. If you didn't want to hang out downtown, the two skating rinks in the area offered "dance parties" for under 21 kids. It really was a great place to be a teenager. And as for my parents, they never had to worry about me..............because our little town was safe.
I stayed in Williamsport up to about 6 months ago, and let me tell you, I couldn't wait to leave!! My beautiful little town has become a dark, boring, unsafe place to be. About 10 to 15 years ago, our "wonderful" mayor at the time thought it would be a good idea to bring in "inner city youth" from Philadelphia for rehab, in return for money for the city. But what happend was they were coming, but not getting rehabilitated. Our beautiful little town is now know as "little Philly". It is infested with drug dealers and gang members. Three weeks ago there were 3 shootings in one weekend. My parents who are both in their mid 70's, who have lived there all their lives will be moving by this June. There are no stores downtown any more, and you wouldn't find me walking there in the daytime let alone after dark. And let's not forget the poor teenagers. They have absolutly NOTHING to do. The only mall in the area is what I believe to be, one of the worst mall's I have ever been to. I understand times change, and there is crime everywhere, but when you bring "big city crime" to a small town, everyone feels it, and you can't get away from it. The police can't keep up with it, and it's only going to get worse. It will start moving into the smaller town's like Loyalsock and Montoursville. So be ready for it.
The mountains and the Susquehanna river are a beautiful site...........but you cant just live on scenery; And not to mention the property taxes are outrageous!! I miss my hometown, but when I think about it, I try to remember how it was. I now have a little 2 year old son, and he was my main reason for leaving.
Good luck to all that are moving there, and to all that stay.

Lisa

Old 05-14-2008, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,944 times
My son is looking at Penn College. Any comments? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania