Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about this company and the homes they build? I think it's called Quality Classic Homes or Classic Quality Homes.

They advertise a lot here in NY and we're thinking of relocating to PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
Why build when there are GREAT houses out there that can be had for a 1/3 of what a new home will cost , Plus .. all the company's sub out their work to the lowest bidder ... and there are a slew of shoddy installers up here ... Building a new home in this market is a dumb move ... within a year or two that house will be under water ,, ( just like 80% of Monroe county ) There are $225K houses that are selling for $100 k now .. Why do you think that is ?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
They built three homes within a quarter mile of my house this last summer. They looked very proficient – all three homes went up quick. They were occupied from the time they were finished. And, yes, I think all of the new owners were from NYC (I know at least two of them were)?

I have a friend that supplies the company with sheetrock. He told me that they do quality work. Of course; he has a vested interest in the company's survival.

For a big ticket item, like a house; do your homework. Try to get as much financial information about the potential builder as possible. We have had builders that declared bankruptcy or had financial problems. No homeowner wants to be stuck with a partially finished house. You also might want to see if the company would allow you to talk to some of their customers? Possibly the new home owners could give you some useful information?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
I don't know the builders. I do agree that in this housing market, a thorough look at houses that are for sale is a good idea. There should be some very good buys. Building new can be 'fun' for some folks and very trying for others, especially when done 'from a distance'.

If it is a 'custom' house, it usually costs more and takes more time than expected. (Not that there is anything wrong with that of course...as long as you are prepared for it). For custom construction, some people prefer using a smaller company/general contractor who does a couple houses a year.

You are doing the right thing by seeking 'references' outside those provided by the builder only.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:51 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
You're not going to try to live in the Poconos and work in NYC, are you? Please don't fall for that pipe dream, the reality of that commute is a nightmare no matter what the builders and realtors may tell you.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
No. If I was going to live in the Pocono area, I would work there. A long commute is something I seriously dislike!

Thanks for all the answers and advice. Not sure yet what we're doing but we want to get out of NY!!!

Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
No. If I was going to live in the Pocono area, I would work there. A long commute is something I seriously dislike!
Good for you. The job market in NEPA isn't great, but you probably know that already. When I lived up there I eventually found a job in Scranton to get out of the NJ commute. It was still almost an hour's drive, but it was heaven compared to driving on 80 east.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
You could also call some of the community associations for recommendations for other builders to interview with, places like Arrowhead Lakes or Lake Naomi. They see different builders come into their communities and have heard from homeowner experiences which builders might be good or bad. It's a good idea to interview at least four builders to give yourself a good perspective of which way to go. Maybe rent a home in one, spend a weekend and get to know the area if you don't already. Then you can drive around and do some research. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania