Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:13 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

It has just been brought to my attention that a relative has been getting questioned in several different venues about some posts I have made on here because he and I share the same exact name. I'm not afraid to hide behind my opinions, which is why I have my name included in my profile, but I'd ask folks on here to please keep him out of this. He and I are two distinct people with two distinct personalities. He faced harassment as well when I submitted letters to the editor of the Times-Tribune from several who mistook his name for mine, which is why I now have to stop writing to the newspapers.

At this point in time I'm deleting my entire profile on here and will be posting on here with less frequency from now on, if much at all. I personally don't know why people thought it was prudent to do this, but now I'm afraid to post any more on this forum.

He doesn't know that I'm trying to clear his own name on my behalf, so I'd appreciate it if those who have been causing these tensions to occur via referencing this forum in various locations would please stop to consider the fact that you're only making an unpleasant situation much, much worse.

It's a shame it has to come to this, as I've personally enjoyed my tenure on this forum and was hoping to make a difference around here, and I'd appreciate it if anyone who has taken issue with anything I have posted to contact me via DM to discuss these matters instead of attempting to break up an already strained family, which is very dishonorable.

This won't be falling under the parameters of a "farewell" thread, as I won't be leaving entirely. However for the safety of myself and my family these drastic measures must be taken.

P.S. I'd like to thank those who thought it was their "duty" to go above and beyond to bring about this situation. It was greatly appreciated. If this relative is left alone from now on, I promise to break ties with this forum if that's what it takes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 03:29 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,732 times
Wait, who are you again?

Old 12-13-2007, 03:33 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I'd like to urge everyone on this forum to please be more careful from now on about just how much information you provide about yourself. I never realized this forum attracted the types of people it did. Once again I have one final plea to those who know who I am---please butt out and make no further reference to my tenure on this forum.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:39 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
This is why it is never a good idea to post personal information about yourself on the internets. Not just you; there are others here who think that "putting themselves out there" somehow enhances their credibility. Then they'll complain about being harassed. :shrug: Everyone is traceable on the internet. Usually, it's not worth the effort, but when one giftwraps the clues, who's to say that some wierdo isn't going to follow it through and stir up some sh*t. Before the internet, people weren't so ready to offer up personal information to strangers. Now, though, on a community comprised entirely of strangers, people don't think twice about it. It's truly mind boggling. And more than a little dangerous, IMO.

You and I have butted heads often, but I sincerely wish you well, sir. Learn from this, though. It is not necessary (and sometimes even unsafe) to be an open book on the internet. You are your own credibility. Think about it. Some loons have no problems posting their addresses, phone numbers, and even their daily schedule, yet they still lack a single shred of credibility past their own noses.

Good luck...

Old 12-13-2007, 03:39 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Default Swb..........

SWB.........You know what SWB, don't just leave and post less, because of this.
Your relative should understand that is what goes with the territory of having the same name as someone else.
Maybe when you write to the Newspapers you should put your name and then under it ........Senior at Kings College, or something simular to make the distinction.
My entire life I was asked if I wrote a very famous book! My name is that of a famous book writer
Last week the owner of a tree farm "hugged me to death" because we had the first and middle names that were the same.
A name is important to the possessor of it,one feels its essence.
I really feel bad that whatever happened, caused issues in your life.
But, all you can do now is tell your relative that it won't happen again, and continue doing what you love.
No one should stop someone from their wants and interests in life.
Don't be overly wroth by it. I am betting it will slowly settle away, like a vapor in the air.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:41 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times
Unhappy gosh

I hope you don't leave. I just came back

Old 12-13-2007, 03:53 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
This is why it is never a good idea to post personal information about yourself on the internets. Not just you; there are others here who think that "putting themselves out there" somehow enhances their credibility. Then they'll complain about being harassed. :shrug: Everyone is traceable on the internet. Usually, it's not worth the effort, but when one giftwraps the clues, who's to say that some wierdo isn't going to follow it through and stir up some sh*t. Before the internet, people weren't so ready to offer up personal information to strangers. Now, though, on a community comprised entirely of strangers, people don't think twice about it. It's truly mind boggling. And more than a little dangerous, IMO.

You and I have butted heads often, but I sincerely wish you well, sir. Learn from this, though. It is not necessary (and sometimes even unsafe) to be an open book on the internet. You are your own credibility. Think about it. Some loons have no problems posting their addresses, phone numbers, and even their daily schedule, yet they still lack a single shred of credibility past their own noses.

Good luck...

well it all depends on issues. as a hobby i write financial articles and on more than one occasion have had magazines publish various things both on the internet and in print about all our finances

when we were first approached by money magazine my wife and i had reservations about posting our financial info all over the place. we thought we would be pounded with solicitations, charitys etc.

then we thought why not do it. people talk more about their infidelities to total strangers and saw no reason why it should matter if that information was out there.

well we did it and went on to other magazines as well and i can tell you never ever even a phone call from anyone. not even a long lost relative ha ha ha .

point is the internet is accessable by anyone and so is info you put out there. just be certain you dont see anything wrong with what your posting.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:18 PM

620 posts, read 2,056,042 times
Sucks that you have to switch screen names because of this. You've developed a good reputation and people look to your name for help, so it is unfortunate.

Reminds me of when I used to write for a small men's magazine. And one of our major competitors suddenly had a writer with my exact name. Everyone in the editorial department started freaking out like I was being unfaithful to our mag. I can see why they thought that since my name is not even that common of a name, but alas, it was just a coincidence. Our editor in chief said he didn't even care if I was writing for them. Some people just love to stir up trouble.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:21 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i agree, dont let this discourage you wilkes. your a key figure here and you enjoy it. if you stop then they win.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:15 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
Don't leave us p---!!!!
We love you too much!
This forum would not be the same without you!

That said...I had an odd experience with the information one can gather about me here...I had made a post in a different section about a problem with ending a long term friendship..I kinda described the particulars in not too much detail.
Well, one day I sign on and I have a PM from someone who has absolutely no posts and had just registered that day. They wanted to know, 'just curious', if I regreted ending the firendship. I am positive this is someone who knows me and the details of this situation whcih amount to a handful of people at most. I'm almost postive it was the former friend. They have never been back to check my reply to them. Part of the problem that ended this firendship was this same sneaky behavior.
If you do a search for The Hideout, some of the first hits are posts I have made here to this forum. If you do know me personally, you will figure out who I am right away by the info. I have given info. about my family and other details. I have never disclosed where I work, my husbands employer, the names of my kids, never rag about the family...you just never know! But people can still put the pieces together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania