Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 04:18 PM

50 posts, read 209,392 times

Advertisements

Hi there-
We are considering moving back to NJ because my mother in law is not well. We are from Bergen Cty and know how high the taxes and housing prices are. My sister lives in Pike Cty, PA and we have started looking at homes there. Theres one development called Sunrise Lakes that seems nice, gated community and reasonable priced. The schools are Delawre Valley, can anyone tell us about the pros and cons of Pike cty? The commute to NJ is not terrible and I love the land and the homes not on top of each other. My sister is a big advocate because she wants us "home" but I need an unbiased opinion. We are looking at Milford, PA. She is in Dingmans Ferry and ALWAYS has flooding issues! My brother is right over the border in Wantage, NJ but his taxes are $7500!
Any help would be appreciated, I have a 2 yr old and not quite ready for school yet. We were moving to NC 2 months ago but thats all changed! We are in the 200K range, can you recommend a nice family oriented subdivision?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 05:14 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,084,252 times
I went to junior high/high school @ DV, lived in Dingmans. My mom still lives there.

The schools, in my opinion, are very good. My younger siblings also went. There are a lot of advanced placement courses for the college bound. For those who don't want to go to college, the high school also offers vo-tech classes. I knew I was going to college and they did everything they could to gear us for it, and I breezed through the first 2 years of college like I was repeating high school again, and the last 2 years of college for me weren't bad either. There were plenty of after school activities, too, and IMO the teachers were great. Most had been there for years. Of course, now I am getting old (27!) so I can't say for sure that it's the same, but my younger siblings had similar experiences and I have friends with littles ones now in the school district, and they are happy.

Elevation and water under the ground are 2 things to consider when it comes to flooding. My mom is high up, but there is an underground spring (and a little stream!) in her backyard, and our basement would flood, until they put a pump in. Now it is fine. Avoid Matamoras at all costs if you are concerned about flooding.

I can't really recommend any subdivisions. I did not grow up in one. The best advice I can give you is that being the only high school is in Milford, try to choose one not too far out of Milford or your kids will have a long bus ride (my ride was just over an hour, yuck!). You might want to casually talk to the security people working in these communities; I bet they will be more than willing to tell you the worst-of-the-worst going on.

I love Milford. I would never live there; there is not enough to do for my young blood and the job market is not good for what I or my husband do. But it is beautiful, and for the most part, people are really nice. There are plenty of beautiful parks and camps, and crime is low; IMO it is a good place to raise children or retire. It is peaceful.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:38 PM

50 posts, read 209,392 times
Thank you Christina! You gave me some excellent information. If someone can reccomend a realtor and /or subdivision that would be great! Im looking forward to snow again. We are in Fl nad Im tired of the heat.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:44 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,381 times
Pike County is very nice. We are looking more towards Lake Wallenpaupack which is above Rt. 84. It's not that far from New Jersey and there are alot of lovely communites there that may be affordable for you. You could try Tanglewood Lakes, Tanglewood North, Tink Wig, Wallenpaupack Lake Estates.
You may even find a home on a country road for the price range you are looking for. The area around the lake is quiet and pretty. Nice small towns up through Rt. 6. Hawley is lovely! Up the road from Hawley is Honedale and boy what a nice little quaint town that is~! Along the country roads you will see younger families in some of the homes.
All and all, it's a great place to live and not be far from the family in NY and NJ! That's why we are moving up from Florida to the Wayne/Pike County area. Just stay away from the flooding areas and you should be ok!

Old 10-05-2006, 11:08 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,576 times
Pike is nice. Try Conasaugh lakes in Milford. Or the Pocono estates (there are a few of them) Hinkel Estates up rte 6 is very nice, big homes. And they are putting in a new, HUGE development with lots of acerage right across the road from where I live, minimum 2 acre lots.

Most areas do NOT flood, you have to get down to Westfall area before you see the wrath of the Delaware in full force. A good, seasoned realtor will be able to help you make some good choices.

Delaware Valley schools have great rep.

I have a great realtor reference and an awesome builder reference if you are interested.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,319 times
Hi
I am planning to move my family to PA this summer. After finding our beautiful dream home in Sunrise lakes in Milford we are hearing alot of negative things about this development.... does anyone have any information on this development. We have 2 small children and need to be in a good community.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:05 AM

487 posts, read 1,374,429 times
Not sure what could be negative about Milford. It's a beautiful town! I'm not familiar with your particular development, but if it's in Milford, what could be bad?

Old 04-12-2007, 08:41 AM

23 posts, read 138,072 times
Default News

The local news has been showing the increased drug problems in developments. Part of it is kids from the city visiting grandma and finding a market wide open for a little free enterprise... I think the news is blowing it way out of proportion. Isolated incidents. I am also in Pike County and went to DV so I know the school is good.

I am seeing Pike County as a buyers market just by looking at the number of homes for sale for over a year in the Shohola area. Worth a look. And yes, the hour bus ride was no fun from Shohola either.

Class of 75

AL

Old 04-16-2007, 03:50 AM

470 posts, read 1,707,319 times
We just purchased a home in Dingmans Ferry, in Pocono Mountain Woodland Lakes. We worked with Sandy Soesman, Century 21 in Dingmans Ferry. She's been nothing short of remarkable in her professionalism. I'm a first time home buyer, and she was so patient with all of my questions. She also went out of her way to help orient us to the area, we moved from California.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,157 times
Default Bus service between Dingmans ferry to New York City or Hoboken, NJ?

We recently build a house in Dingmans ferry and are excited to move there. However, my job is in Hoboken, NJ (across the river from New York city). I wonder if there is a bus service between Dingmans ferry and New york city?

So far I only know there is a train (NJ transit) between Port Jervis, NY (20 miles from Dingmans) and Hoboken, NJ. and there is a bus between Milford and Port Authority bus station in New york city.

Help??

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania