Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I agree with the above, although I cannot rep. Young people who want to stay in the area for college have a lot of choices, and some very good schools from which to choose.

Question: does LCCC offer degree programs through other colleges? For example, Lehigh Carbon Community College offers certain degree programs through Albright, Bloomsburg, and I believe Kutztown as well.
Yes. I think they have an agreement with Wilkes, Bloomsburg and Misericordia.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There are many colleges and Universities in the North Eastern PA. That is a fact that I have noticed and stated since I first thought of moving here.
Margritte 25 forgot to include Keystone College, in La Plume PA
No I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

In Lackawanna County, we have University of Scranton, Marywood, Penn State Worthington Scranton, Commonwealth Medical College, Keystone College, Johnson College, Baptist Bible College and Lackawanna College.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:15 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No I didn't.

Sorry that I missed it Margritte. No harm intended. I think that the topic is a good one!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
There are many colleges and Universities in the North Eastern PA. That is a fact that I have noticed and stated since I first thought of moving here.
Margritte 25 forgot to include Keystone College, in La Plume PA

While discussing colleges and universities, it is best to use an unbiased source when seeking information as to their ranking. To this end, I used "Barron's Profiles in American Colleges" one of the oldest and most reputable college guides. It ranks only regionally accredited 4 year institutions. Luzerne Community College for example, would not be found in this guide because it is a 2 year school. Bible Baptist Seminary, Johnson College and Lackawana College and Penn State Worthington Scranton do not appear in the Barron's Book which means one of two things - they are not four year colleges, or they are not accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.

The Barron's Book as it is known utilizes the following rankings
I have given examples of PA colleges in each category

Most Competitive - accepts less than 10% of applicants eg. University of Pennsylvania, Carnegie Mellon University, Lehigh University

Highly Competitive - accepts less than25% of applicants
eg. University of Pittsburgh, Gettysburg College, Allegheny College

Very Competitive - accepts between 50-75% of applicants
Drexel University, St. Joseph's University, Messiah College

Competitive - accepts between 75 - 85 % of applicants
Seton Hill University, Albright College, York College of Pennsylvania

Less Competitive - accepts 85% or more of applicants
Lockhaven University of PA, St. Francis University of PA, Robert Morris University
Out of these, the largest category of American colleges and Universities is the Competitive ranking. This covers colleges that accepts 75 - 85% of their applicants.

These colleges require students to have a minimum of a C+ - B- average in order to be admitted. The word "competitive" refers only to the fact that not every one who applies is automatically admitted.

The Colleges in NEPA are ranked by the Barron's Book as follows:

University of Scranton - very competitive
Misercordia University - competitive
Wilkes University - competitive
King's College - competitive
Marywood University - competitive
Keystone College - less competitive

So while there are many colleges and universities in NEPA, only one, University of Scranton, is ranked as very competitive, most fell into the competitive category one, less competitive, and the others are either 2 year colleges or are not accredited.

This is not my personal opinion about these colleges, it is a ranking derived from statistics provided by the colleges themselves to the publisher.

The Penn State regional campus must only grant 2 year degrees or a very limited amount of BA/BS degrees. I am not sure what the situation is with the other colleges.

Of the local universities, most seem to specialize in Business, Education, and Allied Health Sciences. Graduate offerings are very limited and again seem to revolve around these fields. Career oriented majors. They are not exactly hot beds of academia.

University of Scranton and Marywood University have the most diverse graduate offerings, with most in career related fields and fewer in pure science, pure math, or liberal arts.

Only University of Scranton offers a PhD. Marywood offers the Psy D and education related doctorates, but no PhD

The closest large research tier one research university offering a wide variety of PhDs is Binghamton University, which is part of SUNY

There are many colleges, but the majors are limited and many are religious schools, which does not appeal to every one.
I know this first hand because my son had a "moment" where he wanted to follow in the tradition of his friends who were graduating from Holy Redeemer HS and were not going away to college. We had always encouraged him to go away, but after living here for two years, he was having second thoughts. The only colleges that had anything in his major were Marywood and Keystone.
Marywood is Roman Catholic and our son did not want to attend an RC college after two years of Redeemer. It also is primarily a commuter school that after 30 years of going co-ed, still has a disproportionate amount of women. He ruled it out by himself and we never visited it.

Keystone is so small that it reminds one of a boarding school. It has only 1300 full time undergraduates. The department that our son was interested in was rather good and we liked the instructors that we met there. Our issues with Keystone were as follows, they are having some financial issues - they showed up on a list of colleges that are in danger of losing accreditation for financial reasons. They may be out of danger now, but they were "on the list" then. We were also not happy with their low ranking and as a family we all thought that some of their residence hall rules were rather draconian - "an RA can enter a students room for any reason at any time" did not sit well with any of us. They were extreemly generous when it came to merit based scholarship money, however.

Then their was the matter of cost as compared to ranking. LCCC would have been a much better value but it did not have his major.

Luzerne County Community College is disparaged by many locals who have come up with some disparaging names for this institution, seems to me to be an above average community college, if one looks at diversity of academic offerings, including certificate programs and career programs, LCCC seems more of a winner,than a loser. As compared with the scanty offerings of Suffolk County Community College which served my former home county, pales by comparison. LCCC seems to perform the function that a community college was supposed to perform in that it offers a wide variety of practical junior college curricula well suited for employment in this region, It is also very accessible, having some classes offered in Wilkes-Barre and perhaps other sites that I am not aware of, and it can be reached by public transportation. Something very difficult if not next to impossible with most community colleges.

Also, it is exceedingly affordable when compared to other CCs with which I am familiar Suffolk CCC, Nassau CCC, and Bergan County CC NJ are all more expensive. When it comes to bang for your buck, it's hard to beat LCCC.

Which raises the question, with so many exceedingly useful and marketable majors, that in two short years and under $7,000 can give someone a basic lower division college education along with career training, why are more people from the Valley not availing themselves of this great institution instead of remaining unemployed and calling it "Last Chance Community College"?

I will never understand that about Valley culture. Why are people so self deprecating? Instead of being proud of your local community college people call it names. It can't be good for the self esteem of the people who live here.
I have met people who disparage everything from the hospitals and medical facilities, to the local community college.

I really believe that there is power in the words that we speak. What we say becomes truth. I have met people here who call them selves "white trash" "Riff Raff' "coal trash" and other unsavory titles.

Yet if I , who am not even from here, decides that Wilkes-Barre is not where I want to live the remainder of my life people freak out and say that I am trashing the place. No I am not trashing the place, I think it's a fine place and I actually moved here and take full responsibility for my choice. I do not trash this areas or denigrate it in any way.

All of you do a fine job of that with out my help.

So as to colleges, there are some adequate schools in the area, many of which have somewhat limited offerings mainly in education, business, and allied health.

University of Scranton is a Very Competitive college.

Luzerne CCC is a well above average community college that is underused and for some reason, debased by locals.
this topic is about colleges and not your opinions of the locals-----and i have never heard the local colleges insulted by anyone calling the colleges here "disparaging names"

Old 02-08-2013, 09:54 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
this topic is about colleges and not your opinions of the locals-----and i have never heard the local colleges insulted by anyone calling the colleges here "disparaging names"
Where did Last Chance Community College (L.C.C.C.) come from. Not us.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:46 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Where did Last Chance Community College (L.C.C.C.) come from. Not us.
Perhaps you could cite your source? I've lived here (NEPA) for 45 years and have heard it called:
LCCC, The Cube, Community. None of these are "disparaging". I do recall some time ago that Sheena took exception to the term "Miseri" in reference to Misericordia U. She felt that was disrespectful but I hastened to assure her that it (Miseri) is simply a common shortened version of the full name with no disrespect implied. Same as calling University of Pittsburgh "Pitt", which could, if one wanted to see it that way, sound disrespectful. In Scranton, the University of Scranton is fondly called "Da U". Most colleges are denoted by some form of short-hand.

These are common references, used by locals, students and grads of these institutions.

As for the term "Last Chance Community College", I'd like to know how many people YOU have heard call it that. And the circumstances. Just askin'.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Perhaps you could cite your source? I've lived here (NEPA) for 45 years and have heard it called:
LCCC, The Cube, Community. None of these are "disparaging". I do recall some time ago that Sheena took exception to the term "Miseri" in reference to Misericordia U. She felt that was disrespectful but I hastened to assure her that it (Miseri) is simply a common shortened version of the full name with no disrespect implied. Same as calling University of Pittsburgh "Pitt", which could, if one wanted to see it that way, sound disrespectful. In Scranton, the University of Scranton is fondly called "Da U". Most colleges are denoted by some form of short-hand.

These are common references, used by locals, students and grads of these institutions.

As for the term "Last Chance Community College", I'd like to know how many people YOU have heard call it that. And the circumstances. Just askin'.

I've not heard anyone call it this either. But I do know a teacher at LCCC who said some people used to call it "Last Chance..." back in the 70s and 80s. I think most people recognize what an asset the college is now for our residents, the area and especially Nanticoke.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I have heard many people refer to LCCC as last chance community college.
I happen to think that's it's disparaging yes. Same for calling Miseracordia "Misery U'" it's not pleasant.

Abraham Lincoln is famous for saying "I like a man who takes pride in the city he calls home." I do too. In Stony Brook NY, there were signs like that placed all around the beautiful neo-Colonial Village Center that was planned in the 1930s by philanthropist Ward Mellville. We loved where we lived , We, and the other residents of Stony Brook, were proud of our area of it's unique history, it's awesome views of the Long Island Sound and Connecticut, it's many historic homes some dating back to the early 18th Century, and the renouned Three Village School District, which includes Stony Brook, The Setaukets and Old Field.

Yes, we loved our beach front community it's verdant fields and rolling hills and we were proud to be residents of the The Village Community We, as a community all loved where we lived.We loved it with words, both spoken and written. And we spoke positive words and the words both came from reality, and created reality, A reality that perpetuates itself.

Perhaps all of you think there that there is something positive in making fun of where you live. And yes, it could be an in joke that I , as an outsider, fail to understand. To outsiders such as myself, it sounds crude. It sound as though you lack respect for yourselves and for where you live and that there is a regional lack of self esteem.I would not want my children to grow up in an area steeped in self loathing and negativity.

Steel City Rising has agreed with me in the past, and if he is as honest as I think he is, will admit that he has said it.

Look, take it from where it comes. It all sounds crude and self deprecating.
Just remember, that when others from the out side hear the things that you say about your own area, and it's institutions of higher learning and the region in general the opinions become self perpetuating, and thus become eventually, the truth.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnyway, I'm in a much better mood today after venting.

I've heard people call LCCC Last Chance. Down here they call Lehigh Carbon Community College the same thing. Lehigh University students make fun of Lafayette students. Muhlenberg students make fun of DeSales students. That's just how things go anywhere you live. I've heard Seton Hall students make fun of Rutgers students in NJ, and Princeton students of course make fun of Seton Hall students. It's not unique to NEPA, so let's not pretend it is.

Ultimately, your education is what you make of it. While there are certainly some professions that prefer degrees from specific types of colleges, students today are starting to figure out that going into a ridiculous amount of debt for a degree that they could have earned at a state university or by staying home and commuting for part or all of their college career. Given the number of higher learning opportunities in the region, the large variety of programs, and the range of costs for post-secondary institutions, students who choose to remain in NEPA or come to NEPA for college should be able to succeed in their career path if they make the right choices.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:41 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
I have heard many people refer to LCCC as last chance community college.
I happen to think that's it's disparaging yes. Same for calling Miseracordia "Misery U'" it's not pleasant.

Abraham Lincoln is famous for saying "I like a man who takes pride in the city he calls home." I do too. In Stony Brook NY, there were signs like that placed all around the beautiful neo-Colonial Village Center that was planned in the 1930s by philanthropist Ward Mellville. We loved where we lived , We, and the other residents of Stony Brook, were proud of our area of it's unique history, it's awesome views of the Long Island Sound and Connecticut, it's many historic homes some dating back to the early 18th Century, and the renouned Three Village School District, which includes Stony Brook, The Setaukets and Old Field.

Yes, we loved our beach front community it's verdant fields and rolling hills and we were proud to be residents of the The Village Community We, as a community all loved where we lived.We loved it with words, both spoken and written. And we spoke positive words and the words both came from reality, and created reality, A reality that perpetuates itself.

Perhaps all of you think there that there is something positive in making fun of where you live. And yes, it could be an in joke that I , as an outsider, fail to understand. To outsiders such as myself, it sounds crude. It sound as though you lack respect for yourselves and for where you live and that there is a regional lack of self esteem.I would not want my children to grow up in an area steeped in self loathing and negativity.

Steel City Rising has agreed with me in the past, and if he is as honest as I think he is, will admit that he has said it.

Look, take it from where it comes. It all sounds crude and self deprecating.
Just remember, that when others from the out side hear the things that you say about your own area, and it's institutions of higher learning and the region in general the opinions become self perpetuating, and thus become eventually, the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania