Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 11:51 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have heard many people refer to LCCC as last chance community college.
I happen to think that's it's disparaging yes. Same for calling Miseracordia "Misery U'" it's not pleasant.

Abraham Lincoln is famous for saying "I like a man who takes pride in the city he calls home." I do too. In Stony Brook NY, there were signs like that placed all around the beautiful neo-Colonial Village Center that was planned in the 1930s by philanthropist Ward Mellville. We loved where we lived , We, and the other residents of Stony Brook, were proud of our area of it's unique history, it's awesome views of the Long Island Sound and Connecticut, it's many historic homes some dating back to the early 18th Century, and the renouned Three Village School District, which includes Stony Brook, The Setaukets and Old Field.

Yes, we loved our beach front community it's verdant fields and rolling hills and we were proud to be residents of the The Village Community We, as a community all loved where we lived.We loved it with words, both spoken and written. And we spoke positive words and the words both came from reality, and created reality, A reality that perpetuates itself.

Perhaps all of you think there that there is something positive in making fun of where you live. And yes, it could be an in joke that I , as an outsider, fail to understand. To outsiders such as myself, it sounds crude. It sound as though you lack respect for yourselves and for where you live and that there is a regional lack of self esteem.I would not want my children to grow up in an area steeped in self loathing and negativity.
Do you really want to open that can of worms in regards to self-respect, self-esteem, and where or how you would want your children raised?

Steel City Rising has agreed with me in the past, and if he is as honest as I think he is, will admit that he has said it.

Look, take it from where it comes. It all sounds crude and self deprecating.
Just remember, that when others from the out side hear the things that you say about your own area, and it's institutions of higher learning and the region in general the opinions become self perpetuating, and thus become eventually, the truth.

What does this have to do with local colleges and University's?

Old 02-09-2013, 11:58 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
What does this have to do with local colleges and University's?
Excellent point (how about THAT, welupa!). Let's keep this subject on the topic of area colleges and not take potshots at the locals.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Excellent point (how about THAT, welupa!). Let's keep this subject on the topic of area colleges and not take potshots at the locals.
OY VEY!!! (and I'm not even Jewish!!!)

With NEPA's great colleges, WHO would ever take a "potshot at a local"???!!!

See TBT....I'm ON TOPIC!!!!

Old 02-09-2013, 01:20 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I happen to think that's it's disparaging yes. Same for calling Miseracordia "Misery U'" it's not pleasant.
Who calls it that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12
Perhaps all of you think there that there is something positive in making fun of where you live. And yes, it could be an in joke that I , as an outsider, fail to understand. To outsiders such as myself, it sounds crude. It sound as though you lack respect for yourselves and for where you live and that there is a regional lack of self esteem.I would not want my children to grow up in an area steeped in self loathing and negativity.

Steel City Rising has agreed with me in the past, and if he is as honest as I think he is, will admit that he has said it.

Look, take it from where it comes. It all sounds crude and self deprecating.
Just remember, that when others from the out side hear the things that you say about your own area, and it's institutions of higher learning and the region in general the opinions become self perpetuating, and thus become eventually, the truth.
The only one being negative about our postsecondary institutions are you and warren. In a rare instance, me, Matilda, annie, weluvpa, Mr Yuk, Jungle George and Steel City completely agree on this. We do have very good schools and we are proud of them. That should tell you something.

As far as the jokes go, you would be hard pressed to find a small city or town that didn't make fun of itself. Its self deprecating humor and many people engage in it - on a macro & micro level. There is nothing wrong with it. It's not self loathing nor is it negative. It is quite common in British humor and they are known around the world for it. The idea that you would try to attack something as banal as this is preposterous to me.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:51 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Who calls it that?

The only one being negative about our postsecondary institutions are you and warren. In a rare instance, me, Matilda, annie, weluvpa, Mr Yuk, Jungle George and Steel City completely agree on this. We do have very good schools and we are proud of them. That should tell you something.

As far as the jokes go, you would be hard pressed to find a small city or town that didn't make fun of itself. Its self deprecating humor and many people engage in it - on a macro & micro level. There is nothing wrong with it. It's not self loathing nor is it negative. It is quite common in British humor and they are known around the world for it. The idea that you would try to attack something as banal as this is preposterous to me.
Hey! You forgot me! What am I, chopped liver? I think this area is blessed with schools that offer something for everyone. (Except Sheena, who couldn't find a school locally that offered a Master's in her field).

Old 02-09-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Hey! You forgot me! What am I, chopped liver? I think this area is blessed with schools that offer something for everyone. (Except Sheena, who couldn't find a school locally that offered a Master's in her field).
I'm sorry! No you are not chopped liver!

You are filet mignon! <3

Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:

You are filet mignon! <3
what m says

good posts,m,t,and w! oops and jg!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:

You are filet mignon! <3
Did you call me filet mignon because I'm "rare"? Or because I'm well done? <sorry>

Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Did you call me filet mignon because I'm "rare"? Or because I'm well done? <sorry>
Both!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times
Quote:
Who calls it that?

Exactly. As I said, it isn't unique to NEPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania