Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
That's not a NEPA thing. People will always compare where they used to live to where they move to. You either adapt and see the good, stay unhappy and keep complaining, move back or (rarely) work to make good changes to the new place.

We've had people move to my area who really think there should be a Middle School graduation because they had one. It's always pointed out that all the kids are really doing is moving to another building across the street since we only have one MS and one HS. I've lived in 5 states and enjoyed them all - much easier then trying to change the new place.

I think that this is a very good point, toobusytoday. Everyone has a frame of reference that is most likely a product of where they spent their formative years. When people relocate from one area to another, it is only human nature to compare and and contrast - where you are from, with where you have relocated.

Today we live in a highly mobile society, where few people live in the same city, town or region from cradle to grave.

We moved from an area of high mobility, where ir was not uncommon for your neighbor to be originally from the nod west, California, New England or a variety of other locals. Some people acclimated others did not. Still others complained. All transplants compared and contrasted, Such is life.

When I lived on Long Island, I never took it personally. Not every place is for everyone. No biggie.

I am not viewing my time spent in NEPA with disdain or regret. I have neither. I lived here for three years and as anyone who has read my posts will have noticed, my attitude was almost always cheerful, supportive and optimistic. I rather enjoyed the unique regionalisms of the area.
Having lived here, and as a member of C-D, I am permuted to asses the time that we spent here and share my perspective on the area, which is as valuable as anyone else s.

We think that NEPA is a wonderful vacation spot,and we are looking into a vacation home here. It's quirky and interesting and very beautiful. It was when I moved here, and it is now. You can't beat the cost of living, and the area is steeped in history.

I have lots of good things to say about the area, Always will. It has some short comings though. There is an influx of rather undesirable people here that are having an impact on the quality of life.
Some locals are extremely set in there ways and tend to be judgmental.

Local people did not quite get it when our son was goind away to college. In real life I was questioned about why we would be "sending him off" after just moving here. We were not sending him off, We were helping him to chose the best place for him to attend college. It's a normal right of passage in much of the country.

Would things have been different had we moved to a better area? Perhaps, But noe doors opened for us in Kingston, West Pittston or Forty- Fort. Infact a few slammed shut.

So rather than staying some place that is falling short of our expectations, and complaining and being miserable, we are doing what thousands of others do each year - moving.

Life is way to short to live in a place that you don't love!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:41 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
I agree on some things, as far as complaining about the lack of big-city conveniences (although personally I think this area has pretty good amenities for a small city). But let's face it, the mentality of NEPA could stand a move into the 21st century. This is area can still be very prejudiced and backwards.....a notch above 1950s Alabama. And the political corruption rivals Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
needs a political enema,
That is an apt way to put it. LOL

Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
It's not even worth it...

Last edited by weluvpa; 02-08-2013 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post

Well what about the University of Scranton? While you seemed to have our colleges all figured and that our local kids never go away to school and that are colleges and university's are sub-par by NY standards. Thats the biggest joke and you have no idea. The University of Scranton draws many students from NJ and NY. So the schools are poor because our kids want to stay and go to school, but they are good enough for out of state students. Oh yeh and you left out Penn State as well which by state school standards kicks the crap out of Kent state and Youngstown U(that's a winner).

[
I agree. If PA schools were so lousy, they wouldn't be packed with students from NY and NJ. Even the state schools like Bloomsburg are overrun with NY and NJ students. They even pay out-of-state tuition to go to the supposedly poor PA state schools.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
I know quite a few "kids" who have left PA to go to college elsewhere. Plus, like Mr Yuk said, many out of staters come here for their college educations. Some even from out of the country. We have a great postsecondary schools here.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:09 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Really? You and your wife basically just got done saying that NEPA is backwards, the kids don't leave, people refuse to change and that your moving simply because you didn't fit into an area that is set in its ways and refuses to change to suit your needs or beliefs.

I thought that you guys purchased a home? I also thought that you had it rented since you were going to Warren.

Well what about the University of Scranton? While you seemed to have our colleges all figured and that our local kids never go away to school and that are colleges and university's are sub-par by NY standards. Thats the biggest joke and you have no idea. The University of Scranton draws many students from NJ and NY. So the schools are poor because our kids want to stay and go to school, but they are good enough for out of state students. Oh yeh and you left out Penn State as well which by state school standards kicks the crap out of Kent state and Youngstown U(that's a winner).

[

Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
The people who tend to knock the area seem like they wouldn't be happy anywhere. They probably complained about their home state as well; then when they moved to NEPA, it was a "dump" and their former state/city of residence was Shangri-La. The grass is always greener for these types of people.

I think this board, for the most part, has a good makeup of people who understand that there are things in NEPA that should change in order for it to be ideal, but also that the area has some things going for it as well. I probably won't settle in NEPA, but the world would not be over if I decided to do that. It's where my family, old friends, and my childhood memories reside, and there's plenty to see and do in the area that I would not roll over and die. Does the region ultimately meet my personal preferences? Not really, but neither does where I live now (which is sort of NEPA, sort of the Lehigh Valley, but also sort of its own weird area).

But that doesn't mean there's nothing to do, the schools suck, etc. I graduated from a rural school district with a class of 96 students. The majority of those people went on to post-secondary education, and many of us have advanced degrees with a few doctors thrown in there as well. Yet if you look at the data, we should all be picking our noses on some street corner because our school is poorly rated, therefore we all should be morons. There are post-secondary opportunities of just about every type in the region: private, vocational, community, and even state schools with ESU and BU. The complaint about the region's post-secondary school is complete and utter nonsense spouted by those who, again, think the grass will always be greener elsewhere.

I have lived in the city, the country, the suburbans and in towns. Other than NYC, which is an animal all itself, there is nothing in most other regions than you won't find in NEPA if you look. I have a friend who lives in NOLA but is originally from NEPA, and she always knocks NEPA and says there is nothing to do--meanwhile, when she comes home she spends most of her time in a redneck bar drinking. Of course she won't find anything to do if she doesn't look for it!! It's another example of the grass being greener. (And PS, she wants to move from NOLA too because it's finally dawning on her that the possibility of getting shot on a street corner isn't worth being able to see the occasional parade from your balcony.)

Anyway, I went on a bit of a rant there but my point is that I have friends in NEPA who are doing well and love it, so it can't be that bad.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
recently spent some time in philly--makes me appreciate aspects of nepa more(except for the medical care that pushes one toward having to go to the wilds of philadelphia

Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
the pickle bar at Bobby O's in Dupont
There's a place in Dupont with a pickle bar? What's that like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania