Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:11 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times

Advertisements

After ready several posts from transplants about why they no longer want to live in NEPA and the one common thread in the posts was simply that the people and NEPA culture refuses to change.

Now mind you I agree that certain things in this area need to change. The Chamber of Commerce in Scranton needs to go and the rest really is politics and poor fiscal management and failed fiduciary responsibility to the taxpayers of the region.

Beyond that please explain to me why you move somewhere visually pleasing and love the area, but yet expect the people here to change to suit your desires or wishes, ideas or preconceived notions of what you WANT somewhere to be like when you get there.

Why do the people of NEPA NEED TO CHANGE to suit your ideals?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:15 AM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
being one of those people who found nepa not for us, i would never expect it to change.

it is what it should be. it is a semi rural area with beautiful natural features. it has a way of life that suits people just fine.

it wasn't our cup of tea but that doesn't mean a thing in the scope of things.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,877 times
Same problem here Dan....

People come to South Florida & expect it to be NY/NJ/MA/Canada/etc. We get so sick of hearing "well, back in _______ we have it", or "back in _______ it's done like this"!!!

I always tell them "you're not in ______, you're in South Florida" & "if it's that great in _______, then why are you here, & why don't you go back"??????? That doesn't make me an "unfriendly & change-resistant resident", it makes me a person who gives respect & courtesy & expects the same, no matter WHO the other person is!!

When we were in NEPA, we found the residents to be polite, friendly & "down-to-earth". We didn't run into ONE nasty person of ANY age group, or any that put on a fake/plastic front!!! I think, on a whole, NEPA residents realize that when they take a dump, it's not honeysuckle & roses!! If it wasn't so damn cold up there, I'd move in a heartbeat to be closer to my "roots" & among people I understand!!!

I think the problem lies in people who are financially well-off expecting EVERYBODY (& EVERYWHERE) to keep up with them.

They have no problem frequenting the upscale or trendy places because they can afford it. Most NEPA residents don't make that kinda money, so they stick together family-wise & neighbor-wise for food/entertainment. (my relatives up there are a prime example....)

I read here that NEPA women don't "keep themselves up"....well, that "upkeep" costs money that may just be needed for keeping their heads above water....schooling/food/medicine/bills/etc. Not everyone has disposable income!!.

If there's any resistance to change in NEPA, I see it as resistance to these "trendy" things which may be at home in more "monied" areas, but are unrealistic for an area like NEPA....

Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
That's not a NEPA thing. People will always compare where they used to live to where they move to. You either adapt and see the good, stay unhappy and keep complaining, move back or (rarely) work to make good changes to the new place.

We've had people move to my area who really think there should be a Middle School graduation because they had one. It's always pointed out that all the kids are really doing is moving to another building across the street since we only have one MS and one HS. I've lived in 5 states and enjoyed them all - much easier then trying to change the new place.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Speaking as a native who will be a "boomeranger" and move back in the future I can say NEPA suits me just fine, for the most part. The area does, in my opinion, need to tone down the homophobia, needs a political enema, and needs visionaries at its helm instead of hacks. With that being said the area is a wonderful hybrid of rural pastoral settings ideal for rock-climbing, hiking, kayaking, white-water rafting, etc. and small urban cores replete with ethnic restaurants, off-Broadway shows, festivals, art galleries, etc. I cry sometimes because I really miss the emphasis on family that is inherent to NEPA that doesn't exist much elsewhere, especially as I'm preparing to be a new uncle from hundreds of miles away. I also miss the Falls Trail at Ricketts Glen, La Festa Italiana, Hillside Farms Dairy in the Back Mountain, Nay Aug Gorge in Scranton, the pickle bar at Bobby O's in Dupont, the Bloomsburg Fair, the Harford Fair, and much more. Yes, Pittsburgh is consistently ranked as the nation's "Most Livable" city due to its dense nexus of intellectuals, robust economy, jaw-dropping architecture, thriving cultural scene, etc.; however, "the valley" will always feel like home to me.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:03 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
I agree with Mathjak. We never tried to change NEPA, it is what it is. A beautiful area that we will continue to visit, but as an outsiders, we would have never be accepted. We enjoy many aspects of it but it was not a place where we could put down roots. We are in fact looking into getting a vacation home in the Poconos. Sometimes people love to vacation in an area and when they try to put down roots in the area, they find out like us that it is not for us.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
After ready several posts from transplants about why they no longer want to live in NEPA and the one common thread in the posts was simply that the people and NEPA culture refuses to change.

Now mind you I agree that certain things in this area need to change. The Chamber of Commerce in Scranton needs to go and the rest really is politics and poor fiscal management and failed fiduciary responsibility to the taxpayers of the region.

Beyond that please explain to me why you move somewhere visually pleasing and love the area, but yet expect the people here to change to suit your desires or wishes, ideas or preconceived notions of what you WANT somewhere to be like when you get there.

Why do the people of NEPA NEED TO CHANGE to suit your ideals?
I don't like it either. We have a particular culture and background just like any other area in the country, or even the world. I wouldn't move to NJ and then complain about the accents or the ocean towns' tourists. I heard someone complaining in a downtown restaurant last week about how spread out the towns were in the area and how they hated not being able to buy bagels (???) at midnight on a Sunday. Well, this isn't NYC or Philly or Chicago. People should research the area and understand what they are getting into before moving.

Like you said, we definitely have issues in this area - major ones! But if more people don't work together to positively encourage change in the area, it will continue to stay the same. I find many of the people who are the loudest complainers are the least involved in their area - by any measure.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
That's not a NEPA thing. People will always compare where they used to live to where they move to. You either adapt and see the good, stay unhappy and keep complaining, move back or (rarely) work to make good changes to the new place.

We've had people move to my area who really think there should be a Middle School graduation because they had one. It's always pointed out that all the kids are really doing is moving to another building across the street since we only have one MS and one HS. I've lived in 5 states and enjoyed them all - much easier then trying to change the new place.
Yes! Exactly. Enjoy the area for what it is and stop trying to change it. No matter if you are here in NEPA, Iowa or LA. That's what is so cool about traveling and/or moving somewhere new: the chance to explore and experience a different way of life.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:32 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I agree with Mathjak. We never tried to change NEPA, it is what it is. A beautiful area that we will continue to visit, but as an outsiders, we would have never be accepted. We enjoy many aspects of it but it was not a place where we could put down roots. We are in fact looking into getting a vacation home in the Poconos. Sometimes people love to vacation in an area and when they try to put down roots in the area, they find out like us that it is not for us.
Really? You and your wife basically just got done saying that NEPA is backwards, the kids don't leave, people refuse to change and that your moving simply because you didn't fit into an area that is set in its ways and refuses to change to suit your needs or beliefs.

I thought that you guys purchased a home? I also thought that you had it rented since you were going to Warren.

Quote:
You apparently don't know the Warren, Howell, Niles area. Warren in fact was a 1920's planned community flanked by Country Clubs. The Universities in Ohio are universal like Kent State and Youngstown U. The state University system are at least on par with The N.Y.S. University system and far superior to the Pennsylvania State system and are much better than the regional colleges of NEPA like L.C.C.C, Kings and Wilkes. Sorry Paul. We've noticed friends of our eldest son who graduated from Holy Redeemer who are from middle to upper middle class families DO NOT go away to college, but in fact are going to three mentioned schools. In fact those friends that stayed here are all having troubles and are bored with school and drop by to visit my wife from time to time. With our son, we forced him to go away to college in Ohio and he has met many new friends from all over the country as well as the world and is doing very well and having a great time, that he would have not had if he stayed home.
Well what about the University of Scranton? While you seemed to have our colleges all figured and that our local kids never go away to school and that are colleges and university's are sub-par by NY standards. Thats the biggest joke and you have no idea. The University of Scranton draws many students from NJ and NY. So the schools are poor because our kids want to stay and go to school, but they are good enough for out of state students. Oh yeh and you left out Penn State as well which by state school standards kicks the crap out of Kent state and Youngstown U(that's a winner).

[

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-08-2013 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: removed the end quote and comment - please stay on topic.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Really? You and your wife basically just got done saying that NEPA is backwards, the kids don't leave, people refuse to change and that your moving simply because you didn't fit into an area that is set in its ways and refuses to change to suit your needs or beliefs.

I thought that you guys purchased a home? I also thought that you had it rented since you were going to Warren.

Well what about the University of Scranton? While you seemed to have our colleges all figured and that our local kids never go away to school and that are colleges and university's are sub-par by NY standards. Thats the biggest joke and you have no idea. The University of Scranton draws many students from NJ and NY. So the schools are poor because our kids want to stay and go to school, but they are good enough for out of state students. Oh yeh and you left out Penn State as well which by state school standards kicks the crap out of Kent state and Youngstown U(that's a winner).
I, too, was highly offended by the knocks on our youth and the postsecondary education system in our area. NEPA has many issues, but subpar colleges and universities are NOT one of them.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania