U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Reasonable and affordable priced homes around areas near Stroudsburg, Poconos, Scranton, Moscow, Lackawanna County, Monroe, Pike counties, continuing education at universities

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:24 AM

79 posts, read 346,829 times

Advertisements

I moved to Pine Ridge in Bushkill with my parents in 1994. I was born in NJ but had moved to Florida as a baby. We actually originally moved to Ranch Lands and rented a place there. I hated it. Long story short, I didn't care for living in Pine Ridge, but grew to adjust. I went to college at East Stroudsburg University and finished one class shy of a Masters degree in Education. I had to leave when I did because a job opened up for me in the UK. That was in early 2004. I had not returned since. Fast forward to living in England for a few years, moving to Florida briefly, meeting someone in Florida, getting married, moving to VA, then TN, and currently SC at this moment. Unfortunately my husband was not able to find work here. I was forced to resign from my job as an English teacher in Greenville, SC due to emotional stress and the problematic nature of working with administration who abuse the "right to work", "we don't have a union in SC" mentality. Every time I brought up a concern about a procedure or made a polite, educated question during a meeting, I was met with condescending remarks about how "this is not the north...you need to learn that we don't have a union here.." etc...Truly a nightmare. I had taught in Florida, and experienced some of that, but not like what I was experiencing at this school. In all fairness, I know that not all schools in SC are like this, but this school was the worst stereotype possible. After being threatened by the principal to stop "stirring things up", when I honestly didn't understand what I was "stirring up", and hearing 6 different teachers come to me with fear in their voices saying that they agreed but were afraid to speak up, and so many others felt that way, I quit. I had to. If I had stayed on, I would have had a nervous break down.

The end result is that my license in PA to teach English at secondary level needs a few college classes to be current again. My husband and I will have to move into an upstairs loft apartment that my father added on to his house in Pine Ridge. We have one car that needs a lot of work and an inspection. My husband has a GED but plenty of motivation and strong computer skills and experience. We will have to live with my parents until we both find work, can save up for a car, and hopefully be out of there by March or sometime thereafter. It will take me probably a year to teach again due to license requirements, so I will need to look at secretarial and office work, and heavy-duty tutoring on the side and through ESU. My parents will not be charging us rent. It's the best my parents could do to give us a new start.

My problem is that I know what the Poconos are like. I know that work is scarce, especially for my husband. It's resort central, and most people commute into NY and NJ. Pine Ridge has declined. I know that. The cost of living is through the roof in Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg, where I would like to be. My husband would prefer something a little bit away from town but close enough to be convenient. I know he would like Analomink, Canadensis, Delaware Water Gap, etc...

Oh, did I add that I am terrified to drive in the snow after having three near accidents when I lived in the Poconos?

It's not a pretty picture, but we both want to be in the north. I want to return to teaching in a place that has a union and doesn't throw my northern status in my face. I would like to be near my parents. We don't want to live with them any longer than possible, and I know it's going to be hard. I was just hoping that by posting my concerns that perhaps it won't be as bad as I perceive it will be.

I am hoping someone can give me a bit of advice of where my husband and I need to focus on saving up our money to move to. Basically we are prepared to work in Stroudsburg and beyond---Milford, Dingman's Ferry could be a possibility too. I just don't want to have to commute more than 60 miles a day if I don't have to. I know that you have to do what you have to do though. With one car, the reality is that we will need to stay fairly local for the time being and then branch out when we get more mobility.

With the winter approaching, it's going to be a trial.

I don't want to save up to move to an area that will cause us to have to change jobs, as that would defeat the purpose. We want to find work and be able to commute from my parents' house for a few months, and then save up money and move out. We are not looking to buy a house, and are happy to rent a one bedroom house or apartment.

I know it's a joke to even try this, but I like the north and I like Stroudsburg. Unfortunately we won't be able to afford to move to where I want to be immediately and have to go back to a place that is not a favorite of mine for various reasons.

I do want to say that after living in TN and SC, and especially Florida (which I hated), I don't think Bushkill and even Pine Ridge is that bad anymore. I really don't. It's just remote and the work situation is scarce.

I have a BA in English, a lot of secretarial and education experience. I am one class shy of a Masters, as I said, and won't be able to teach for at least a year. So, teaching is not an option. Any suggestions on where I should focus looking for work at would be wonderful. Please realize that again, we will have one car for the time being, and will need to be realistic.

Also, what areas around Stroudsburg, in the Poconos, are reasonably affordable and a practical choice to consider saving up to move to in the Spring?

Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 AM

2,937 posts, read 3,430,548 times
My suggestion would be to look into Lackawanna County (Scranton, Moscow, etc). The cost of living, especially housing, is MUCH lower than in nearby Monroe and Pike counties. Plus, you'd still be in reasonable driving distance to rapidly growing Poconos schools that are always hiring teachers like Pocono Mtn, Wallenpaupack, etc. Plus, there are growing districts in Lackawanna County, like North Pocono, Scranton, etc. Plus, there are a lot more jobs in Scranton and the surrounding area than there are in the Poconos. Also, for continuing your education, there are plenty of colleges...University of Scranton, Marywood, Penn State Scranton, Keystone College, etc.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:04 AM

Thank you. I expect that we might have to find work locally, save up, and then look for work elsewhere and relocate to the area we find work in. I was tossing around the Lehigh Valley, and in particular, Bethlehem area, but I heard that Scranton was a good choice too. My husband has never been north of the Mason Dixon line. I think I need to break him in slowly. Although, he's going to get a crash course in Northern mentality in Bushkill, and I am a little scared.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:01 PM

13,320 posts, read 21,311,774 times
Gosh, Holli, Pine Ridge is so far off of where jobs are. Because you are talking one car for the both of you. As you are imagining the Poconos is a hard place to find a job not related to tourism.
Stroudsburg has changed since 9/11, it may look like a whole different town to you.
Lehigh may have more jobs but, the housing there is expensive.
Probably you'll have to find your school job and then go by that as to where your husband might find a job also.
I can't think of jobs going toward Milford, or Dingmans area........and you'd have that long, long area of state forest to drive through in the winters to get there.
This is something you will have to work out once here.
You'll notice things have changed. I do have this feeling for jobs you might be headed more south towards, Bethlehem, Nazareth areas........
And........Scranton is not a bad choice either. Between there and Wilkes Barre.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:35 PM

996 posts, read 3,080,399 times
Here's a suggestion: Check all the school districts within driving distance to see if there are any clerical or office positions open. You may then have a better opportunity to secure a teaching position when something opens up. Another plus: If it snows alot, the school will be closed and you won't have to worry about driving!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:19 PM

Thanks everyone. It will probably be a year or two before I can get myself sorted with my license being current again. I will have to enroll back at ESU, take a few college courses, finish out my Masters while there, and then will be ready to teach. I also need to rebuild my residency status for PA for the cost of classes. My husband plans to take classes as well. I don't think that he is too comfortable with the idea of Scranton or Allentown just yet. He's never been north of the Mason Dixon line and a little leary of "cities". Although, to me, Allentown and Scranton are nothing to worry about. I lived in London for three years!
We priced apartments and the cost is very high in Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg, nothing below $900 it seems (for a simple one bedroom). The prices were more affordable in Brodheadsville and Saylorsburg. I know the area, and know it's not bad there, and if we work in Stroudsburg for the time being, it would be a doable commute. My problem is a snow phobia that I will have to get over. As a teacher it wouldn't be an issue because schools close due to inclement weather, and there are also copious sick days, but with any other job, I will have to find a way to manage.

I just can't believe that there aren't apartments and places to rent that are under $800 in East Burg and Stroudsburg! I know, I need to give up the idea, but I still hate to move outside of Stroudsburg. I like it there.

Does anyone know of any areas within commuting distance of Stroudsburg that will be more affordable and feasible to commute from?

Old 10-24-2007, 06:19 PM

13,320 posts, read 21,311,774 times
Yes, a big problem is that Brodheadsville and Saylorsburg.........which would probably make your husband happy too........doesn't have much going for rentals.
I think he would enjoy that area, quite nicely.
Rents are high now in the area. One Thousand to 1200 is more the range.
You'd have the PV schools, and lots of schools are in Polk just off of 209........
Not a long ride if you lived in the area.
Once in awhile there is a rental sign along the roads. It is possible you'd find something.
Your right about Allentown and Scranton, not very cityish at all.........
Downtown Allentown you'd want to avoid, surrounding areas are ok though.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:20 PM

4 posts, read 11,051 times
Angry smelly water in pocono ranchlands

can anyone tell me how to solve my water problems. its horrible.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,318 times
flush the toilet

Old 12-08-2009, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 5,725 times
you need to open ur eyes, cause pine ridge is worst than u think they just dont tell u everything its all hidden, Please they have so many **** ups its not funny they rob eveyone blind and as for security theres only one in charge that does whats suppose to be done the others are trying to make names for themselfs they think they are all big an bad, but when it comes down to it they are ****en themselves cause they screwed up and they cant fix it, please open ur eyes and ears smell the coffee......Pine ridge is horrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania