Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Why does this not surprise me? The people down here don't seem to drive very well. I love how befuddled they become at the four-way stop in Weissport when there's more than one car at the intersection.
Oh my goodness, that is the weirdest intersection I normally travel through. Sometimes everyone just stops for like 10 seconds, and they all just stare at the other cars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
Oh my goodness, that is the weirdest intersection I normally travel through. Sometimes everyone just stops for like 10 seconds, and they all just stare at the other cars!
I don't understand why it confuses people. The person who got there first, goes. If a few people get there at the same time, the person farthest right goes. Yet they all get so confused!

Another weird phenomenon I've noticed around here is that locals seem to cut their left turns short. If I'm traveling down the road and making a left turn where there is no stop light or sign, I'll slow down a bit and turn into the lane in which I want to travel. They don't do that around here. Instead, they won't really slow down and they'll cut across the other lane before they get into the lane they want. As a result, drivers at stop lights and signs need to stop at least a car length back from the "white line" area they'd usually stop at so they don't get slammed head on.

Obviously I've seen this before, but not to the extent that they do it around here. It's crazy, and it seems to be frequent just in this immediate area.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
I don't understand why it confuses people. The person who got there first, goes. If a few people get there at the same time, the person farthest right goes. Yet they all get so confused!

Another weird phenomenon I've noticed around here is that locals seem to cut their left turns short. If I'm traveling down the road and making a left turn where there is no stop light or sign, I'll slow down a bit and turn into the lane in which I want to travel. They don't do that around here. Instead, they won't really slow down and they'll cut across the other lane before they get into the lane they want. As a result, drivers at stop lights and signs need to stop at least a car length back from the "white line" area they'd usually stop at so they don't get slammed head on.

Obviously I've seen this before, but not to the extent that they do it around here. It's crazy, and it seems to be frequent just in this immediate area.
When I was a teenager I thought that NJ drivers were the worst drivers. Then I took a job working in NJ. After a short time; I thought PA drivers, in NJ, were the worst drivers. In general; PA drivers are out of their element in NJ and NJ drivers are out of their element in PA.

New confuses drivers. If the area did not have four way stop signs before; drivers get confused. Many areas in PA did not have four-way stop signs until fairly recently. Some drivers just need more time to acclimate themselves to the new.

On the other hand; maybe it is just an area that everybody is on marijuana and nobody can make a decision? They are too paranoid to take a chance?

By the way; how is the OP doing? Are you out practicing? Did you decide to take the test? Did you pass?

PS As a 'local' driver; I like to hug the middle of the road at night on our back roads. That is as long as I can see no headlights coming in the opposite direction. The reason that I do this is because of our wildlife. It just gives me an extra split second of reaction time. Of course; I do not do this if somebody is coming, I am approaching a blind corner, or somebody is behind me.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
When I was a teenager I thought that NJ drivers were the worst drivers. Then I took a job working in NJ. After a short time; I thought PA drivers, in NJ, were the worst drivers. In general; PA drivers are out of their element in NJ and NJ drivers are out of their element in PA.

New confuses drivers. If the area did not have four way stop signs before; drivers get confused. Many areas in PA did not have four-way stop signs until fairly recently. Some drivers just need more time to acclimate themselves to the new.

On the other hand; maybe it is just an area that everybody is on marijuana and nobody can make a decision? They are too paranoid to take a chance?

By the way; how is the OP doing? Are you out practicing? Did you decide to take the test? Did you pass?

PS As a 'local' driver; I like to hug the middle of the road at night on our back roads. That is as long as I can see no headlights coming in the opposite direction. The reason that I do this is because of our wildlife. It just gives me an extra split second of reaction time. Of course; I do not do this if somebody is coming, I am approaching a blind corner, or somebody is behind me.
This isn't a new four way stop though. From what my SO says, it has been there as long as he can remember. The marijuana theory is more likely; either that or drunk.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 11,272 times
Thank you all for the replies, and sorry for not posting an update. I took the test today, and passed! I practiced very hard, and it paid off. Thanks again for those with helpful and informative posts, they all helped! There was no K turn, but there was parallel parking and I did it perfect.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingking View Post
Thank you all for the replies, and sorry for not posting an update. I took the test today, and passed! I practiced very hard, and it paid off. Thanks again for those with helpful and informative posts, they all helped! There was no K turn, but there was parallel parking and I did it perfect.
Congratulations! Now when can we talk you into going for your CDL?

How long did you have to wait to get your test? The place is usually pretty busy.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Good for you, king. Drive safely.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingking View Post

Great job!!! Now just be sure to remember everything you practiced instead of forgetting it immediately like many drivers do

Old 03-04-2013, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 11,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Congratulations! Now when can we talk you into going for your CDL?

How long did you have to wait to get your test? The place is usually pretty busy.
Lol, going to wait a bit before I get that! I actually only had to wait 7 days. It usually takes 6 weeks, due to them being so busy and you have to schedule every Monday at noon for an appointment. Thankfully, I kept checking the DMV schedule every couple hours and there was a cancelled appointment. I got really lucky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Good for you, king. Drive safely.
Thanks! I definitely will.
Quote:
Great job!!! Now just be sure to remember everything you practiced instead of forgetting it immediately like many drivers do
Haha, I sure will. Some of the drivers I have seen just from having my permit are crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania