Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times

Advertisements

LOLOLOL. No matter how you slice it, IT'S STILL SCRANTON..

There is NO downtown after 4:30 pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 03:03 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
I just had to report back that I went to LI for the weekend and went to the Bodgea in my hometown of Patchogue and pigged out on some excellent Puerto Rican food!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 PM

115 posts, read 273,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
All things considered we have maybe a maximum of 1,000 people living in Downtown Scranton (excluding student dormitories). Is that enough to sustain a grocery store? I personally don't believe so.
Not a store the size of Wegman's or Gerrity's, but a smaller store around 10k square feet could absolutely survive in downtown Scranton, and I say this as someone who has run stores in smaller towns and NYC/DC.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:46 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Here is a GREAT Example of a Bodega .. From todays NY Post

Gang sold weed in Sour Power candy wrappers at Harlem bodega: cops - NYPOST.com

Old 03-17-2013, 10:11 AM

63 posts, read 88,812 times
there used to be a grocery store downtown, Fish and sons.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,889 times
Bodega's are great!!!!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:02 PM

908 posts, read 1,555,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Here is a GREAT Example of a Bodega .. From todays NY Post

Gang sold weed in Sour Power candy wrappers at Harlem bodega: cops - NYPOST.com
Yeah, but most bodegas do NOT sell drugs. There are so many of them, the ones that are "fronts" are a small percentage. Of those, many times the owner is NOT involved, not voluntarily. The gang members/drug dealers force their way in the businesses and set up shop. So by definition the bodegas are not 'fronts', even if there is a scum bag gang member selling drugs in their business. Many of the fronts are run by higher income people who where suits, but nobody cares to look down on corporate criminals. Drug dealers extorting these business owners to let them stay in their stores are the problem in MOST of the very small cases where a bodega is involved.

Plus, I'd be less worried about weed being sold out of a corner store, and more worried about the meth labs popping up in many NEPA neighborhoods. They are more a of a growing problem. They blow-up and everyone is in danger of getting hurt. Heck forget blowing up, the fumes alone can cause great damage to the people who live around them.

Whatever, all this talk about bodegas has me wanting Puerto Rican food. I think I'll make some red beans & rice, w/plantains tonight, maybe even some empanadas. Bloominscranton if you want the recipe, I can DM it, so you don't have to go to LI for your fix,lol.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:39 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRidgeGuy View Post
With the opening of the chamber building apartments, there are more people currently living in downtown Scranton than at any time in the city's history. I would love to live downtown, but someone needs to open a grocery store/ bodega. One benefit of living in a downtown is the proximity of things like grocery stores and Gerrity's and Redner's just aren't close enough . I want to be able to park my car during the week and until a full service grocer opens up, that's not possible. Thoughts?
I live in West Scranton and even though the supermarkets are fine I much prefer the "Mom and Pop" store near me. It's a block and a half away so there's no need for a car. Service and staff are great and staff is very friendly.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
LOL, Dowtown shuts down at 4:30pm every single day of the week. It shuts down on Friday and doesn't reopen till Monday morning....

There is a REASON that most of the downtown business's fail. There is no demand for people to go downtown at all.

There is ALSO a reason that there is no store downtown anymore......

IF one would make it, I would think that some crony would take out OECD or CDBG money from Doherty and open it...

"If you build, they will come", is just a line from a movie and has been a consistent failing philosophy for downtown development in Scranton.

It doesn't work....

Old 03-17-2013, 04:31 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Redner's really isn't that far from downtown. I actually used to park there when I worked on Penn Ave. so I didn't have to line the pockets of the Parking Authority. If people want to live downtown, they'll probably shop there or take their cars and drive to another grocery store. There are a couple of small markets in the downtown too.

We can have this discussion as many times as people like, but the answers are always going to be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania