Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 12,130 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a mother of 4. I would like to buy a vacation home in the Poconos (within a 1-2 hour drive from NJ). I am not familiar with the different cities in the Poconos. After doing some research, I am concerned about crime and gangs in the area. I am confused about where to look at this point.
Mostly, I am looking for a get away home that is in a tranquil, peaceful area. For those of you familiar with the Poconos, can you please let me know what towns are good for a family with 4 children (and grandma will be with us as well).
Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 11:48 AM

487 posts, read 1,374,529 times
Set your sights on Pike or Wayne County. No issues there.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:14 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
I would look around lake Wallenpaupack ...

Old 03-09-2013, 08:57 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Here in Monroe we have been plagued by copper thefts. I would worry about leaving a vacant house. I do not think the phenomenon is exclusive of Monroe County? It probably has more to do with how many addicts any area has? Perhaps police reports of potential second home sites would help? Of course; it only take a few bad apples to spoil it for everybody.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here in Monroe we have been plagued by copper thefts. I would worry about leaving a vacant house. I do not think the phenomenon is exclusive of Monroe County? It probably has more to do with how many addicts any area has? Perhaps police reports of potential second home sites would help? Of course; it only take a few bad apples to spoil it for everybody.

Most of the newer homes ( built from 2003 and up ) have Pex for water supply .. no copper involved .. None worth stealing anyway ..

Old 03-09-2013, 09:23 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Most of the newer homes ( built from 2003 and up ) have Pex for water supply .. no copper involved .. None worth stealing anyway ..
I forgot about that. But it is something to keep in mind if you want to buy or build a vacation home today.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I forgot about that. But it is something to keep in mind if you want to buy or build a vacation home today.

Its a lot easier for people with crappy credit to get a loan from a bank on " New Construction" The bank figures if they default on the loan they have a New or newer home that they can resell ... If your credit is crappy you need to come up with a lot more " Down " money and jump through more hoops to buy an already standing dwelling . That's why you have so many foreclosed homes .. If someone has good credit or even better," liquid capital " They would be a fool to build a new home today . Buy semi used one for a 1/3 of the cost's .. No matter what , UP HERE you'll never catch a good return on the house as there will never be any real economy up her to support it . Summer homes is what started Tobyhanna and surrounding area's to go to hell .. ( Yep PCP Started as a Summer Vacation Village ) Now look at the area 40 yrs later ...

But yet who in their RIGHT MIND would want to live there now .. ? Every time I go past the place I see moving trucks at the gate ..

A friend of mine buys ,builds and sells these houses ,He buys a tax sale lot , has the house delivered (pile of lumber) he lays a foundation, builds the house and flips them , and they are BRAND new homes .. He does that in PCP .. He has done 13 already .. every buyer was from the city .. It cost's him on avg $120k to do it complete , he sells them for a $80k - $100k profit ..
Affordable Collections

He does this house Most of the time ..( he has it down to a science )
http://www.84lumber.com/Portals/0/PD...II%20value.pdf

Last edited by Riverside4ever; 03-10-2013 at 06:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania