Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,810 times

Advertisements

As a young boy back in the late 60's (I was less than ten years old) I would stay at the Poco with my family for a couple of weeks each summer with my cousin and her family. (And then another couple of weeks at the shore in NJ.)
We would stay in the cabanas and not in the main lodge and I remember always having a good time - the staff was always pleasant and accommodating. And who could forget Jimmy Festa! I was too young to understand what a gay person was but now it seems so obvious. My parents just thought he was a snappy dresser who could dance well. I do remember the shows as always being fun. Swimming all day and being that young, it was always a good time.

I caught this thread as I was trying to see if the Poco was still around - I was looking at places in the Poconos and wondered "whatever happened'.... I guess now I know - and even I remember the old red barn across the road, never ventured near it though - parents wouldn't approve.

Thanks for the memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,700 times
Default Poca Cabana

My father's band played regularly at the Poca during the 1950's and early 1960's. I remember going to the Poca on Sundays and enjoying myself being with my celebrity father. The band was the Paul Henry Orchestra.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 AM

502 posts, read 985,035 times
Does anyone know what businesses or structures are on the exact site where Pococabana Lodge once stood ? I do not remember the exact coordinates so I cannot find it on google maps. If someone would post the area as a photo.... I would much appreciate it !

Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,100 times
Try looking for Smithfield Elementary School on River Road; that's pretty close by.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:22 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Try this? https://www.google.com/maps/search/C.../data=!3m1!1e3

This is a residence motel located on what's now Cabanna Lane in Minisink Hills off Route 209.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,551 times
Default Pococabana 1972

I worked as a waiter there in 1972, It was tough you had to cover 20 meals a week and 1 buffet. Yes you had to be part of the evening shows. I had no talent so i did the lights. I do rememeber Mr Fiesta and Ed Z. they were what they were but they didnt bother me too much.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:44 PM

Thank you all for the information to find the old grounds of Pococabana Lodge. I think I can even see the old old house where us, staff, used to live which is to the left of where the swimming pool used to be, by about 600 feet if I remember correctly. Jimmy Fiesta had a real mean streak to him.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:32 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Even though I grew up in this area; I was not familiar with the Pococabana. I heard the name - but was never there.

I did find these pictures of their pool and it looks as if it was back in the 1970's or (second thought) much earlier: https://www.flickr.com/photos/edge_a...n/photostream/

Old 04-11-2014, 08:20 AM

Wow, Thanks Fisheye ! A refreshing view of America before drive-by shootings and the suspicion we have learned to cultivate of one another in the U.S.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:43 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
Wow, Thanks Fisheye ! A refreshing view of America before drive-by shootings and the suspicion we have learned to cultivate of one another in the U.S.
Those pictures were also from a time when the old hotels were popular. That has not happened for many, many years. Several of these large old hotels had suspicious fires as more rooms went vacant. The older crowd of vacationers died out - they were the ones that loved that 'family' atmosphere of the old hotels. The newer generations only wanted a place to sleep and store their luggage while they explored the ski slops and entertainment in our area - they did not count or rely on the hotel to supply that entertainment. The newer water park/hotel is almost a comeback to the old family/community hotels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania