Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 03:46 AM

6 posts, read 10,968 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I currently live in Toms River, New Jersey, but looking to start over following my divorce. Curious about the average property tax bill on homes in the Scanton, Pennsylvania area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 09:14 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Brian I live in Scranton and was born and raised in South Seaside Park and I have family living in Toms River. In the warmer weather we are at IBSP almost every weekend. The property tax bills will be less than what you are paying but it will be a vast world of difference then what you are used to. Scranton has various neighborhoods from low to high income and all in between. Our lower income areas are a step up without question from what you would consider low income. I have to be honest if I did not have elderly parents and a house that is paid for I would be living in your neck of the woods. I know both areas very well and I just cannot see the move being comparable for you. Ask SWB he should have all the tax info you would need. I can tell you that our property taxes were raised this year by 25% and they will most likely be going up another 25% each year for the next two years for a total of 93.4% over three years. We also have the highest wage tax in the state at 3.4%. Our police dept is shrinking due to the failure to settle contracts over the last the 6 years. We are losing about 2 officers a monthly lately. I don't know man you would be at least 3.5 hours from home or the beach.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 PM

Thanks Weluvpa! You've been VERY helpful to say the least!! I guess that the grass always seems greener. It's just that I'm tired of the rising property costs here in NJ, and even though I like Seaside, I'm not a beach person per say. I work in northern New Jersey near Route 80 so the commute would be about the same as the one I do now from TR ( I work 3 12 1/2 hour shifts at night ), so THAT'S not an issue...

thanks for the prompt response!!
Brian

Old 11-03-2007, 08:14 PM

I definitely want you to compare the two. They both have alot to offer some is the same some is different. The commute to work would be the first. You have at least 100 days of nicer weather there then we see here. The parkway to 280 or 287 north is a far cry better during the winter then you would ever see here on 380 and 80. You do not have the accessibility that you have there. Trains out Pt. Pleasant to NYC. Hope skip and a jump and your in Philia. It just depends on what your looking for.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
"You need to spread some reputation around before giving it to WeLuvPA again." Darn! I just wanted to commend you, Dan, for being a REALIST in this thread in terms of the taxes instead of a "don't move here; the taxes are the highest in the world" type of person. Yes, the 3.4% city wage tax is a major pain in the ass, but average property tax bills in the city are still comparable to surrounding communities, even once you figure in the increases.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:25 AM

Thanks 'Scranton'..and Dan ( Weluvpa ) for the info....I also have a 17 year old daughter who is currently a junior in high school. so would like to know how the high schools are as well...I would greatly appreciate any info!!

Thanks....

Old 11-04-2007, 09:07 AM

If she is in Central regional then they would be a huge step up for her to go to school here, but moving for her to just finish up wouldn't be a great reason, leaving friends that close to the end of HS could be tough on her. The Scranton schools are good and we also have 2 private schools, Scranton Prep and Holy Cross high school. Central regional was the reason that my family moved up here. They did not want me to go there and I was taking a bus from South Seaside to Bayville everyday for school. Brian its not a bad area here and I'll help with what I can. I know both areas well and hopefully can help you out. I just happen to like your area more.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:18 AM

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner....had a lot of personal thing to take care of...My daughter's Mom givers her blessing for her to move with us to the Pocono region. A fellow worker reccomends the Moscow area as opposed to Scranton or Tobyhanna. What would your opinon be?

Last edited by brian1956; 11-08-2007 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-08-2007, 03:13 AM

92 posts, read 298,507 times
A fellow worker recommends Russia over Tobyhanna? Man.
I knew it was bad there, but I didn't think it was that bad.
Or maybe you're just not popular at work.

Just kidding, friend. Nobody goes to Tobyhanna on purpose anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania