Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:20 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Avoid Grotto Pizza like the plague....yuck! Its even a notch below Domino's and Pizza Hut. I don't know what other pizza places are around Harvey's Lake, but any mom and pop pizza shop will be better than Grotto or any chain.
Uh oh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 02:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Avoid Grotto Pizza like the plague....yuck!
I guess that's a difference of opinion, my Father's best friend was Arnold of Arnold's pizza in Plymouth. He used to work at the Grotto going back to before Agnes. Then he had is own shop in Plymouth, Iknow he was there before Agnes because I remember the stories about him and my Father getting the place back in business after the flood. The pizza was similar and I grew up eating it.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:11 PM

178 posts, read 227,869 times
Quote:
Avoid Grotto Pizza like the plague....yuck! Its even a notch below Domino's and Pizza Hut. I don't know what other pizza places are around Harvey's Lake, but any mom and pop pizza shop will be better than Grotto or any chain.
Maybe I will just have to try a few to find my fave. Out here it's either Round Table or Abbey's. The best pizza I've ever had is at Denny's in the tiny town of Coquille OR I doubt anyplace will ever beat theirs

Denise

Old 06-14-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Uh oh....
Get out the deck chair and the popcorn! LOL

Old 06-14-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
Maybe I will just have to try a few to find my fave. Out here it's either Round Table or Abbey's. The best pizza I've ever had is at Denny's in the tiny town of Coquille OR I doubt anyplace will ever beat theirs

Denise
In this area there is literally hundreds of mom and pop pizza places serving hundreds of different styles so it's going to take you a while. The Grotto has been around since the dark ages as have some other places. The Grotto has many locations but the original is Harveys Lake, the building is newer as the original burned down some time ago. I think they even had or have one down Wildwood.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:17 PM

If the place is historic, I definitely want to visit I hope to find lots of places that were built "way back when" Denise

Old 06-14-2013, 04:10 PM

22 posts, read 42,137 times
Not historic in the sense that you are looking for. Back to the kayak. Mornings on the lake or nice rainy days are the best. There are quite a few kayakers around so maybe you could hookup a paddle partner.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:30 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times
The Susquehanna from Tunkhannock down to Falls is a nice little kayak trip. Also Tunkhannock Creek which enters the river there has some pretty stretches. To the west of you is Rickett's Glen State Park which has a couple of very pretty lakes, such as Lake Jean, and Hunter Lake. I don't think motors are allowed on either.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:33 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I guess that's a difference of opinion, my Father's best friend was Arnold of Arnold's pizza in Plymouth. He used to work at the Grotto going back to before Agnes. Then he had is own shop in Plymouth, Iknow he was there before Agnes because I remember the stories about him and my Father getting the place back in business after the flood. The pizza was similar and I grew up eating it.
Having travelled the country a bit I am amazed at how varied and creative the pizza scene is in Luzerne County. I don't know any other place that can compete.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:35 PM

thank you all! I am really taking notes here I also asked a question about how the internet service and cell service are on the West Side of the Lake. In another thread but no replies there yet. Maybe some of you guys know??

Thank you again, I really can't wait to be on my way out there denise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania