U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:48 AM

3,756 posts, read 8,711,304 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what folks thing about the cost of gas for commuting. Last night they said it would soon hit $4.00 a gallon and the cost to heat houses this winter is up 25%. So, my question is how do folks think they are saving money by moving to the Poconos......because it is not cheap!

The Hat
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 11:15 AM

620 posts, read 1,904,781 times
This doesn't really respond to your question (I work from home, so I am lucky to save in that way) but I was driving through town yesterday and noticed the price of gas at $3.09! Just a few days ago it was $2.99. I am the first to admit that I don't know much about business and the way money works and commodities are traded but it just seems absolutely criminal to me that this is happening.

My propane tanks are getting filled next week--oy!

Old 11-07-2007, 11:37 AM

MermanMike,

You are smart working from home. I commute into NYC one day a week and I see the countless people that spend over two and half hours on a train one way. The prices are off the charts and Brian Williams on channel 4 had a segment about the cost of heating homes because of the oil prices. It seems that there is no relief in sight. BTW, we use Bottini for propane and we are on a budget plan but our costs are up $25.00 from last year. And, yes, I agree with you it is criminal!

The Hat

Old 11-07-2007, 12:03 PM

567 posts, read 1,187,162 times
Default absolutely

If you live in the poconos and work about 5 miles from where you live, your absolutely saving money. i live 20 miles from my current workplace and sit in stand still traffic all day over in jersey. so yes.. between heat prices here.. gas money and tolls on our roads :-) yes.. we'll be saving money.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:18 PM

So where do you plan on working when you move to the Poconos? Five miles from the house? That is great if you can. Thank god I do not have to commute. I feel sorry for the folks who leave their houses at 5am and come home at 9pm.

The Hat

Old 11-07-2007, 01:28 PM

567 posts, read 1,187,162 times
Default Wilkes Barre

my job is off 81 and 309 junction. i'm trying to find an apartment near wilkes barre, plains, parsons, kingston and edwardsville

Old 11-07-2007, 01:43 PM

84 posts, read 355,786 times
yea commuting sucks, 7:30am to 7pm most days. But its worth it to live where we do, our house/community is fantastic

Old 11-07-2007, 06:10 PM

2,833 posts, read 10,079,076 times
I live in The Hideout and it is 5 miles to the front gate!!
My husband and I together are spending an average of $120. on gas a week. That is insane! I just can't afford it anymore. All of discretionary money is going to gas.
Since my daughter goes to school in Scranton (I know...MY choice!) I'm contemplating on how much it will cost me per week for her to PRACTICE for the softball team. They uses 3 different indoor venues, all with a $5.00 charge per day. Along with the gas to go back and forth to Scranton in the evening, this could cost me an additional $45.00 a week, just for her to practice. This is one of the major reasons why we want to move closer to Scranton.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:24 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,860,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
I was just wondering what folks thing about the cost of gas for commuting. Last night they said it would soon hit $4.00 a gallon and the cost to heat houses this winter is up 25%. So, my question is how do folks think they are saving money by moving to the Poconos......because it is not cheap!

The Hat
People live like oil is still $30. a barrel. The reality is it's going to continue rising along with other fuels. They build and buy houses with hardly a thought to energy efficiency. All it takes is a few hundred dollars at most of building material to construct solar water and air heaters. When you're building a house orient it east to west and build a sunroom for FREE heating in winter. It's not that difficult!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:03 AM

910 posts, read 2,755,791 times
My husband does 60 miles each way 5 days a week so needless to say we spend hundreds on gas alone. Not to mention I drive 2 kids in 2 different directions every day so I spend a bit too. Someone said why live so far if you're not saving money, but for us with the money he makes 60 miles away he could never make that much here ever and we still come out way ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania