Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 05:43 PM

51 posts, read 182,493 times

Advertisements

Wow, I didn't expect that at all. What a blowout! I thought the current majority commissioners had done a pretty good job. At worst, I just envisioned a tight race with the Repubs eventually winning. Shows you how out of touch I am, lol. What do you attribute it to? The 48% tax increase? Cordaro's issues with tax returns? Overspending on the 911 center and courthouse renovations? In general, I think it was less about people really liking Washo/O'Brien and more about them disliking Codaro/Munchak (probably more to do with Cordaro since he's much more visible and polarizing). I guess he can be abrasive, but I kinda liked his energy and vision for the NEPA region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 05:58 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,361,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvit View Post
Wow, I didn't expect that at all. What a blowout! I thought the current majority commissioners had done a pretty good job. At worst, I just envisioned a tight race with the Repubs eventually winning. Shows you how out of touch I am, lol. What do you attribute it to? The 48% tax increase? Cordaro's issues with tax returns? Overspending on the 911 center and courthouse renovations? In general, I think it was less about people really liking Washo/O'Brien and more about them disliking Codaro/Munchak (probably more to do with Cordaro since he's much more visible and polarizing). I guess he can be abrasive, but I kinda liked his energy and vision for the NEPA region.
This race was a toughie for me, so I'm grateful I don't live in Lackawanna County and didn't have to worry about which pair to choose. One thing I can say for sure though is that I was tiring of Cordaro patting himself on the back incessantly for the Yankees. Leave it to NEPA to go hog wild over sports of all things! One good thing I liked about the Munchak/Cordaro team though was that they had the foresight to purchase land in the northeastern part of the county to preserve open space in the likely event that urban sprawl starts slamming its way into the county in the upcoming years.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:43 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,942,326 times
I attribute the landslide to the 48% (after promising a 25% tax cut), rampant cronyism, and the fact that Bob Cordaro is a pompous arrogant clown. Good riddance.

I'm glad that it appears that Munchak will have the minority job. Munchak doesn't bother me, but Cordaro is an unlikeable pompous a s s in my opinion.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
One good thing I liked about the Munchak/Cordaro team though was that they had the foresight to purchase land in the northeastern part of the county to preserve open space in the likely event that urban sprawl starts slamming its way into the county in the upcoming years.
I believe that deal involved Louie DeNaples (he owned that land).....I hardly think it was Cordaro/Munchak trying to be environmentalists. I'm sure it was some political backroom deal where these clowns were throwing our tax dollars around like Monopoly money.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:07 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,261,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
I believe that deal involved Louie DeNaples (he owned that land).....I hardly think it was Cordaro/Munchak trying to be environmentalists. I'm sure it was some political backroom deal where these clowns were throwing our tax dollars around like Monopoly money.
I'm sure Uncle Louie had his hand in it. He's the largest private land owner in Lackawanna County, I've heard estimates of up to 30-40% of the county is owned by him. He might also be the largest private land owner in the state. He's no dummy, even with just a high school diploma, he knew real estate is where it's at.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:40 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,636,925 times
I agree with Paul. I was tiring of Cordaro and Munchak constantly talking about how they got the Yankees to NEPA and what a score it was. People who don't care about baseball really don't care what team is in there. The Phillies were here for many years and I didn't think twice about it.

I also agree with conorsdad. Don't think for one minute these guys were thinking about preserving land. It had to do with the all mighty dollar and what looked good for them. They're throwing our tax money around under the guise they were helping us.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:52 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,630,804 times
Quote:
I attribute the landslide to the 48% (after promising a 25% tax cut), rampant cronyism, and the fact that Bob Cordaro is a pompous arrogant clown. Good riddance.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I had to come back to it. The fact that in this day and age, people can still be swayed by political buzzwords like 'cronyism' amazes me. Did the republicans practice cronyism? Damn right they did. But so did the democrats before them, and so will the democrats taking office on jan 1st, and the same goes for any current, past, or future elected official. It takes many forms; the first would be all the people who helped get you elected, all of the election staff. Think anybody is going to help you get elected out of the kindness of their hearts? So you need to take care of them. Second, you have your contract work. Tell me, what difference does it make if you contract with cousin Fred Shred for office supplies, as opposed to Joe Shmoe, who was a crony of the LAST guy in office? Pens need to be bought, furniture needs to be replaced, copy machines die out. These are basically fixed costs, who really cares who gets the money, unless you are hooked in with the last supplier. Third would just be 'general cronyism,' which needs to happen, unless you don't want to get re-elected. THIS IS HOW POLITICS WORK, FOR DEMOCRATS, REPUBLICANS, THE GREEN PARTY, ETC. It doesn't matter who you are or what your affiliation, every politician out there needs to make friends and raise money, or they won't be a politician for long. WAKE UP!

As for the land deal, I'm sure they did it to appease the tree huggers who scoffed at the timbering at merli-sarnoski, the loss of old-growth trees on the square, and whatever other offenses they felt they had made. Same with the glenburn pond project. Like any other thing out there done in the political realm, for whatever base reasons, a GOOD THING happened, and GOOD PRESS followed. THIS IS THE GAME, PEOPLE. I highly doubt Louis DeNaples was banging on their door trying to sell chunks of land, as sitting on parcels for decades before selling is usually how he goes about things. Ironically, most of our land conservation is due to Mr. DeNaples, who owns quite a bit of forest land and does not develop it. He bought x amount of acres, sold x amount of acres, and made a profit. I suppose he should have sold it at a loss? I suppose YOU would sell any of your possessions at a loss if the county wanted to buy them? The man certainly has the 'golden touch' and has given back more to this area that we could ever imagine. He also has every god given right to profit on whatever he chooses to sell.

THIS IS THE SYSTEM that is at work in EVERY office across the nation, from the local level all the way to the white house. DON'T BE SURPRISED when you find this to be true in your mayors or your commissioners or your state reps. IT IS A DIRTY BUSINESS, but unless you follow the rules, you get NOTHING out of it. That means nothing for your constituients, and NO VOTES on election day.

Lastly, anybody that claims to not want to be 'A CAREER POLITICIAN' is a complete joke. That simply means they want to serve two terms, get benefits and a pension for life, and DO NOTHING FOR THEIR VOTERS. ONLY SENIOR MEN command enough power to get earmarks for their home districts. That is why people like JOE MCDADE got so much done in lackawanna county, and that is why we WANT people like joe mcdade. Let's face it, if they're just going to GIVE AWAY $100, don't we want at least $50 of it? Nah, let's be nice and give it to carbon county instead....

Old 11-09-2007, 07:41 AM

The last time we saw Joe McDade in the news:
abc27 - Former PA Lawmaker Arrested For Exposing Himself on FLA Beach (broken link)

Old 11-09-2007, 01:30 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,630,804 times
Quote:
The last time we saw Joe McDade in the news:
abc27 - Former PA Lawmaker Arrested For Exposing Himself on FLA Beach (broken link)
The guy was 75, and not in office, so who cares? Most likely a little case of senility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania