Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:48 PM

5 posts, read 6,192 times

Advertisements

Just moved to Scranton area. I am looking for a place to buy cheap fruit and veggie. I have visited wegman, price chopper and walmart. The price of fruits and veggies is very expensive. For example, price of green pepper is $2-$2.5 per pound. I try to search Yelp, but no much information is found. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 03:20 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,998 times
Have you tried the farmer's market in Scranton? Sometimes if you show up near closing time they'll make a deal with you. I've gotten free peppers, corn, and tomatoes that way.

Cooperative Farmers Market of Scranton - LocalHarvest

Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Have you tried the farmer's market in Scranton? Sometimes if you show up near closing time they'll make a deal with you. I've gotten free peppers, corn, and tomatoes that way.

Cooperative Farmers Market of Scranton - LocalHarvest
Thanks for posting the link!

Old 07-06-2013, 03:00 PM

908 posts, read 1,555,228 times
Sometimes Aldi has good deals.

Rt 6 Scranton/Carbondale Hwy.
Scranton, PA 18508

ALDI - Home Page

The farmer's market may also have good deals, as suggested.

Maine Source may sometimes have decent deals, but you may have to buy bulk to get the best price.

733 Davis Street
Scranton, PA 18505
P: 570-963-7142

Mainesource Food & Party Warehouse

I don't know where you moved from, but I moved from NJ, and was used to the great prices at Corrado's in Clifton, NJ, and the fruit & vegetable markets in South Paterson at the Clifton border near Corrado's. There is NOTHING like that here.

Sometimes Malacari's in Wilkes-Barre will have better deals than local options, but the quality is sometimes not at it's freshest. It's OK for this area. They have no website, but here is their address, in the event you ever venture into Wilkes-Barre.

80 Wilkes Barre Township Blvd
Wilkes Barre, PA 18702
(570) 822-2025

I hope this helps. We still go to NJ a couple of times a month to do our major grocery shopping, and will continue to until we move back. Wegman's has the availability, quality, and better variety of healthy foods than other area stores, but with 3 growing, ACTIVE kids, it becomes too costly.

Last edited by colorfulchic83; 07-06-2013 at 03:15 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 03:24 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,919 times
Malacari's in Wilkes Barre but it is true that you have to watch what you buy. Most is a good deal though, Tomatoes are always 99 a pound and they are usually good. Apples are also 99 and usually good.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:35 PM

908 posts, read 1,555,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Malacari's in Wilkes Barre but it is true that you have to watch what you buy. Most is a good deal though, Tomatoes are always 99 a pound and they are usually good. Apples are also 99 and usually good.
I usually go for the tomatoes & cold cuts. Their pears are usually good, too. Very cheap cheese & roast beef.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:41 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
When locals are in season there are a few roadside stands north of Clarks Summit such as on Route 6, and on LaPlume Rd. and also in Ransom Township on Newton-Ransom Blvd.

There are more out that way just not sure if they are web enabled etc. Maybe others here can contribute some names and info. Here are a few links to start...Google is your friend. There are many more.

Lackawanna County, PA Farmers Markets

Abington Business & Professional Association - Members Directory - Farms/Orchards

Miller's Orchards Farm Market - Clarks Summit, PA - AgMap

Promoting America's Agriculture - AgMap

Where in Eastern Pennsylvania to find pick your own farms and orchards for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins and canning & freezing instructions!

Strawberry Picking at Pallman Farms | Happenings Magazine

Old 07-07-2013, 05:58 AM

267 posts, read 765,402 times
Mainesource on Davis St. runs good deals on fruits and vegetables all the time. Sign up for thier email list to get the latest deals.

www.mainesource.net/

I always check there first before heading to a traditional grocery store.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
When locals are in season there are a few roadside stands north of Clarks Summit such as on Route 6, and on LaPlume Rd. and also in Ransom Township on Newton-Ransom Blvd.

There are more out that way just not sure if they are web enabled etc. Maybe others here can contribute some names and info. Here are a few links to start...Google is your friend. There are many more.

Lackawanna County, PA Farmers Markets

Abington Business & Professional Association - Members Directory - Farms/Orchards

Miller's Orchards Farm Market - Clarks Summit, PA - AgMap

Promoting America's Agriculture - AgMap

Where in Eastern Pennsylvania to find pick your own farms and orchards for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins and canning & freezing instructions!

Strawberry Picking at Pallman Farms | Happenings Magazine
YES!! A wonderful stand just north of Clarks Summit called Jakubos. Owned by NICE people!! It's right after the Agway on the left if you're headed north. They'll also give you a deal if you show up right before closing!

http://m.thetimes-tribune.com/lifest...gion-1.1364803

Further up, just past Dalton and almost adjacent to Darling's Locker Plant (huge white building on the left) is La Plume Road, as you mentioned. The name of the farm escapes me now, but about a half mile up the road on the right is a nice farm stand and it's self service/honor system. They also have Scottish Highland Cattle, or at least they did. Neat to see!

I'm trying to think of more roadside stands. There are a lot up there. Down here in Carbon County there aren't any that I know of, and I hate it!!

Old 07-07-2013, 12:11 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,012 times
When my youngest attended camp at the The Comm in Waverly we always stopped at stands around that area. I was never at the honor system one, but it is nice to know they still have some around. Back on LI in my home town of Patchgoue, there was a small nursery that had good prices and used the honor system; I bought all my plants there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania