Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:45 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times

Advertisements

Here's a link to an article about the rise in new apartments in downtown Scranton, it's definitely up Paul's alley.

The Times-Tribune - Downtown dwellings on the rise

There is a shortage of apartment space for young professionals who seek the convenience of urban living and easy access to Central City’s expanding social and cultural attributes, downtown landlords say.

Although Scranton is experiencing an uptick in downtown housing development, its impact will be modest, predicted David Rusk, an expert on urban planning and former mayor of Albuquerque, N.M.

“You don’t have an economic base that will hold on to enough young professionals, and your colleges are not big enough (to generate mass numbers).”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 03:57 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
It's true. Scranton does not have a strong enough economic base to support downtown housing. This isn't Manhattan and it will never be, which in a way is a good thing to most Scrantonians. It all comes back to what Doherty is trying to turn Scranton into. He pumps money into the downtown, but not enough into the surrounding neighborhoods. Without it's neighborhoods, Scranton is nothing and the downtown becomes even more meaningless.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:42 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Regardless of what the city "is" or "isn't," I'm still committed to moving to a downtown loft or condo for some years before investing in a single-family home in one of the city's neighborhoods. As Ms. Tarapchak, a new transplant to the downtown from the Abingtons, stated in the article "The convenience of downtown living is great." I truly do think that sums up my reasons for wanting to make the same suburb-to-city relocation. It will be great to be able to walk to my downtown office on wintry days as opposed to enduring the hell of last Valentine's Day when we weren't plowed even once for four days. It would be nice to enjoy a few drinks with a meal sometime without having to hop behind the wheel to get back to the 'burbs. It would be nice to hear church bells and chimes playing again. City residents truly do take a LOT for granted.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:10 PM

I also just submitted a letter to the editor of the Times-Tribune that should hopefully appear early next week in regards to this article.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:23 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
As Ms. Tarapchak, a new transplant to the downtown from the Abingtons, stated in the article "The convenience of downtown living is great." I truly do think that sums up my reasons for wanting to make the same suburb-to-city relocation. It would be nice to hear church bells and chimes playing again. City residents truly do take a LOT for granted.
The circumstances of her move were not exactly by choice SWB. She is in the middle of a highly contested divorce and I think the house was disolved so to speak in it. The empty lot next Buona's pizza is part of it as well. It was deeded to her husband as part of the divorce then her boyfriend Mr. Rinaldi had the city condem it to devalue it as part of his 500 Lack ave project. Its worth alomost nothing now and the husband will not get much. Paul after seeing how you went off on DD and how you continuiously go off about scranton, I think that you need to take local politics 101. You have great vision but you have absolutely no idea how local politics and its players affect everything. You have yet to see how slighted the Times is towards the Doherty politics and its players. You really want to know whats going on like you think you do then maybe you should spend more time focusing on the politics and then you might just learn something. That article was nothing more than a puff piece to help bolster the mayors image in a highly unfavorable time for him. Not to mention that her business just received a $250,000 loan from the city. Her spa is one of the MOST successful downtown business's, why the money?

By the way I hear church bells every sunday in my neighborhood, what do you think that everything good only happens in the dead after 5 downtown. There is more to life then bars and restaurants, not to mention there is not even a grocery store in the downtown.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
There is more to life then bars and restaurants, not to mention there is not even a grocery store in the downtown.
Paul can push his grocery cart all the way to the Redner's on 7th Ave., then all the way back to his apartment, just tell them you're going to be permantly borrowing one of their carts for the foreseeable future, I'm sure they won't mind!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Paul can push his grocery cart all the way to the Redner's on 7th Ave., then all the way back to his apartment, just tell them you're going to be permantly borrowing one of their carts for the foreseeable future, I'm sure they won't mind!
As the downtown's population continues to grow, so will the demand for a grocery store or market of some sort. I honestly wouldn't mind walking back-and-forth between downtown and Redner's carrying a bunch of shopping bags until that time (assuming the pedestrian linkage between Seventh Avenue and Downtown improves by then).

Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,578 times
I googled tarapchak and corruption and it brought me to this forum. Wow i am not at all suprised to see how they scammed a 250,000 dollar loan. Unfortunately i know a sweet lady sitting in prison because of county corruption, she has to spend the next 10 weekends based on nothing but allegations (Absolutely no facts or evidence) by a tarapchak. So not only do these people get loans from the city but they also run the court house. lackawanna county is extremely corrupt and an inocent woman is sitting in prison because of it. Any one aware of ne further corruption by this family please pm me

Old 04-23-2011, 08:20 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Regardless of what the city "is" or "isn't," I'm still committed to moving to a downtown loft or condo for some years before investing in a single-family home in one of the city's neighborhoods. As Ms. Tarapchak, a new transplant to the downtown from the Abingtons, stated in the article "The convenience of downtown living is great." I truly do think that sums up my reasons for wanting to make the same suburb-to-city relocation. It will be great to be able to walk to my downtown office on wintry days as opposed to enduring the hell of last Valentine's Day when we weren't plowed even once for four days. It would be nice to enjoy a few drinks with a meal sometime without having to hop behind the wheel to get back to the 'burbs. It would be nice to hear church bells and chimes playing again. City residents truly do take a LOT for granted.
Must be Waffle Saturday!! so now your moving back again?? Pittsburg isnt a bowl of cherries any more??

Old 04-23-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Must be Waffle Saturday!! so now your moving back again?? Pittsburg isnt a bowl of cherries any more??
Look at the date, Paul said that on 11-08-2007!!!!

I've noticed this a lot lately on CD in this and other forums, where people comment on threads from 2, 3, or 4 years ago, that are just laying in the CD archive. You really have to pay attention to the date on some of these threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania