Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:17 AM

40 posts, read 95,330 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I would like to get some personal opinions from residents concerning the air quality in the Scranton area. I have looked at all the statistics and have made a few visits but still have concerns about moving there. I have discovered that I cannot move to my hometown of Pottsville in Schuylkill County because I have difficulty breathing there. I have lived in the south, Florida and North Carolina, for many years and did not have any problems so I am not sure what is going on. Asthma rates are high everywhere these days. Does it seem windy most days in Scranton? Wind seems to blow some of the bad air out. I know it rains a lot and I think that helps also. Do you think the air is a bit cleaner north or west of the city for example in Forest City or Honesdale? Any info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 12:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
I'm sure this is going to come as a surprise but nationally the six most common air pollutants have been reduced by 63% since the 80's.

If you have concerns about asthma especially in colder climates I would suggest it's your house. Insulation, tyvek, new windows.... these things all trap indoor air pollution. New heating systems also use ducts instead of the traditional hydronic heating systems, these systems can harbor and spread things associated with asthma. People spend more time indoors especially in the winter in this area.

But what do I know.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:37 PM

Default Air Quality Concerns

Yes I am aware of indoor quality issues. I do not have any problems when I am indoors, it is only when I am outside. I really don't want to look at any statistics because everyone has a different experience and the statistics do not give the whole picture of any given area. Just wanted to get some personal opinions and experiences with air quality.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:59 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,919 times
Any valley anywhere is notorious for smog which gets trapped in the lower areas. Being as most of the housing is in the lower sections you will have poor air quality in the summer where there is little wind on hot and humid days. If you live up at the top of the mountains and only venture down to shop on cool breezy days you should have no problem.

You can see the smog though in the valley here on the bad days. It has been particularly bad the last couple of days with the heat. During the 4th fireworks there were times I was happy to be out of the outside air.

That said, whenever I head to the top to walk my dogs I enjoy the clean air up there. So, if you want to live here and it will bother your asthma just get a place in Bear Creek, Laurel Run or Mountain Top to name a few high locations that are out of the valley smog. There are others if you research.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:20 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,686 times
Not to hijack the thread, but just wanted to throw this in real quick, since some of you mentioned, walking outdoors (with the dog, etc.). What are your thoughts, experiences or concerns with mosquitos and ticks, especially in areas nearer the river and which may have a lot of weeds (hiking, walking on the trails, etc.) - wonder how we are doing this year with concerns about West Nile, or Lyme disease?

Old 07-06-2013, 05:39 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,919 times
Tons of wood ticks a few weeks ago but only at the highest remote locations. I found none when I went to the river at multiple different spots. I have not found a deer tick this season and I usually find four or five of them. I keep the dogs medicated and keep a keen eye especially for the deer ticks. By now we are past the worst part of the early invasion. I found none on my last walk two days ago in Laurel Run. They will start to get heavy again in September.

When I was finding wood ticks a few weeks ago the count was past 10 on three dogs and two humans in a single two mile walk on a trail in Laurel Run.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:41 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABlondie View Post
Yes I am aware of indoor quality issues. I do not have any problems when I am indoors, it is only when I am outside. I really don't want to look at any statistics because everyone has a different experience and the statistics do not give the whole picture of any given area. Just wanted to get some personal opinions and experiences with air quality.
i don't have statistics but i moved here from fla and going outside is really exacerbating my asthma---especially in this weather--does anyone here think the air quality is linked to the black dusting cars get up here when it rains? one can scrape it off with a fingernail and it is powdery like----am in a small town---not sure what factories r still operating near kingston

btw---even south texas air did not bother me but the air near la did as badly as it does here

Old 07-08-2013, 10:22 AM

Default Air Quality Concerns

Thanks so much for the responses. I have friends in Mountain Top and I agree the air is better on the mountain, so I should stick to those areas it seems. There is limited real estate in my relatively lower price range in those areas, so that makes it difficult for me. It might be a good choice to rent first. Thanks all for your replies.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
If you're options are open also consider the Back Mountain and Harding area. There is lot of smaller older fix em up homes, I guess it really depends on your budget.

If you want to take the flood risk West Pittston is also going to have some properties available at rock bottom prices. There is talks about putting in a levee. If that happens your investment is going to increase substantially.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but just wanted to throw this in real quick, since some of you mentioned, walking outdoors (with the dog, etc.). What are your thoughts, experiences or concerns with mosquitos and ticks, especially in areas nearer the river and which may have a lot of weeds (hiking, walking on the trails, etc.) - wonder how we are doing this year with concerns about West Nile, or Lyme disease?
I found this one link to a Massachusetts article:Health officials fear a bumper crop of mosquitoes this year Mosquito experts fearing a tough year - North - The Boston Globe
Basically they talk about how the hot, humid, summer could cause a bumper crop of mosquitoes - that could lead to more cases of West Nile.

The same might be true of tics? I think you are generally 'safe' on a walk if you try not to brush against the vegetation. Spraying your shoes/boots and pant cuffs with Deet can also help. You pets, that you might take for a walk; can transfer these tics to you or your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania