Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:14 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times

Advertisements

Eastburg has some middle-class sections, some working-class sections, and some sections that are a little rough. There is also a state university in town. The rental prices will vary by section.

I've heard good things about the JM Hill elementary school which I think is K-4 at this point. We chose to send our kids to Notre Dame which is a small Catholic school also in East Stroudsburg.

The crime rate will generally depend on where you live and who you mix with.

The demographics have changed a lot in recent years. A lot of inner-city folks moved here in the early 2000's only to move back to New York after the crash of 2008-09. Still, it's reasonably diverse here now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 07:46 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,507 times
Suggest reading a few pages of posts here, then visiting for a weekend. If you're planning to work in the city, take a hotel for a week to see if it's even doable, and then RENT for a year, do NOT buy. Too many folks can't take it and want to leave, and often can't because of their house.

Also, the schools aren't the best in East Stroudsburg -- not the worst, granted, but there are more highly rated schools south of here (Lehigh Valley) and north of here (Delaware Valley district, near Milford).

Old 07-23-2014, 09:09 PM

331 posts, read 639,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
As far as employment is concerned, "Wall Street West" is on its way. Basically, firms from Manhattan will be locating satellite campuses anywhere between Stroudsburg and Scranton, which is expected to eventually create up to 18,000 white-collar opportunities for locals (Then again, we've heard this "pie-in-the-sky" rhetoric from politicians right before Election Day many times before, only to have these empty promises never come to fruition!)
Heh, 2006

Old 07-25-2014, 05:55 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,299 times
Not my cup of tea. I would drive through, stay the night or two and see if it is what you are looking for. School taxes are high here as well (comparatively to nearby areas). I prefer the northern Poconos up 739 or closer to Hawley for better family friendly areas. You need to do some visiting and talk to locals and realtors (several) to get the inside scoop.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 26,400 times
Thanks everybody for replying to my question. I work in New York City and my accepted maximum traveling time would be 2 hours in one direction. Our maximum renting price which we can afford is $2000/month. If East Stroudsburg, PA is not so good, what else would be? Could you guys give us some city area names, which would be good, for 2 kids, good school, "easy" to travel to NYC and the house (3+br, 1.5+ba) renting price is not so high? I know it is not so easy to find, but I give a shot.

Thanks again,
Istvan

Old 07-26-2014, 10:31 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_knight View Post
Thanks everybody for replying to my question. I work in New York City and my accepted maximum traveling time would be 2 hours in one direction. Our maximum renting price which we can afford is $2000/month. If East Stroudsburg, PA is not so good, what else would be? Could you guys give us some city area names, which would be good, for 2 kids, good school, "easy" to travel to NYC and the house (3+br, 1.5+ba) renting price is not so high? I know it is not so easy to find, but I give a shot.

Thanks again,
Istvan
We are known for having one of the longest commutes in the nation. Before anybody signs a lease or makes an offer; they should rent and try the commute for a few days. "Easy" is not that easy during rush hour. It is better to make any commitment with your eyes wide open.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:49 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,299 times
I am partial to Hemlock Farms (indoor pool, plenty of activities on site) and further North to Masthope (horseback riding, skyslope on site in winter). Both great communities with plenty of amenities to keep you and the kids happy. If buying, they do have higher community dues, if renting you should be able to find plenty in your price bracket, even for less $...BUT, that commute will not likely be close to 2 hours. Try 2 1/2 to 3. As mentioned, if you can't rent long term yet, rent short term (for a week or two) or even motel it and then you can get a least an idea, during peak rush hours, what it is like. I would also wait until after the September Labor Day weekend, when things are more normal traffic wise, vacations are over, etc. and then take that rental or hotel stay to see the real deal with travel.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:02 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
I am partial to Hemlock Farms (indoor pool, plenty of activities on site) and further North to Masthope (horseback riding, skyslope on site in winter). Both great communities with plenty of amenities to keep you and the kids happy. If buying, they do have higher community dues, if renting you should be able to find plenty in your price bracket, even for less $...BUT, that commute will not likely be close to 2 hours. Try 2 1/2 to 3. As mentioned, if you can't rent long term yet, rent short term (for a week or two) or even motel it and then you can get a least an idea, during peak rush hours, what it is like. I would also wait until after the September Labor Day weekend, when things are more normal traffic wise, vacations are over, etc. and then take that rental or hotel stay to see the real deal with travel.
I know that many like Hemlock Farms. However; how long does it take you to reach the NJ state line from up there? Commuters have to keep in mind, that moving farther out, comes at a cost. Of course it all depends on your work schedule and how many days you actually commute. Always remember that you have to double any commute time when you think of how many hours you will be from home (not to mention preparation time for the commute).

Old 07-27-2014, 07:55 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
I do a commute to the Bronx. Average travel time in the morning, leaving the Water Gap around 6 am gets me to the GWB by 7:30 generally. That's a perfect weather day and no accidents along 80. Coming hone, leaving at 5pm, I don't get to the Water Gap until closer to 7:30. Traffic in Jersey can be pretty crappy on a good day. Forget Fridays.

I've taken the Martz bus a few times. Commute times are about the same.

Honestly it's a really wearing commute on not just my car. There are days I just don't want to deal with getting home close to 8:30pm (I live in Jim Thorpe so that's another 45 miles from the Gap), rush to eat something and get right to bed to wake up at 4 am to do it all over. Luckily I'm childless and my fiance is home each night to take care of the digs. If I'm that tired I just crash in the city at my parents.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:46 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,507 times
charmedhour, wow, that's brutal. Have you considered moving closer? There's no way you're actually enjoying the area where you live, not with that commute.

I sometimes think mine is bad but I have it light-years better than most who work in the city. I catch a 5:20 bus for a 7am start, my work is very close to the Port Authority, and I have a seven-hour shift, so I'm on the 2:15 bus home. Enjoying my property by 3:45 pm.

If I had to work 9 to 5, I would quit. I cannot stand rush-hour traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania