U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2007, 09:09 AM

422 posts, read 1,897,220 times

Advertisements

Lets LiST some of the good & bad about Gated communities, shall we.

Now, I don't live in one, but my friend does and my parents do too.

Good Stuff (my opinon)
1. community pool, lakes
2. community clubhouse-great for gatherings/family parties--rent it out.
3. community playground
4. If its a community like Sierra View without a gate, but has the pool etc.

Bad Stuff
1. The gate--when it comes to getting friends in-even if its just to drop something off, could take up to 20 minutes to get in (happened to me at Indian Mountain Lakes). I'm going to a party next Saturday there, I'll time it and let you all know. Imagine, every guest for a baby shower has to stop at a gate. Annoying!!
2. Apparently there is a lot more deer roaming around in gated communities than just the regular developments. Deer----ticks--lyme disease.
3. Regular police do not have immediate access to the area. Hmmm, what about the fire dept???
4. Some have only 1 way in/out.
5. Not knowing who your neigbors are.

Question, whats the purpose of the gate anyway? For the amenities, yes, well just show a badge of where you live or something to get into the pool. Any other reasons?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 09:10 AM

I looked up what it means: Gated Community

In its modern form, a gated community is a form of residential community sometimes characterised by a closed perimeter of walls and fences, but always containing controlled entrances for pedestrians, bicycles, and automobiles. Gated communities usually consist of small residential streets and include various amenities. For smaller communities this may be only a park or other common area. For larger communities, it may be possible for residents to stay within the community for most day-to-day activities. Gated communities are a type of common interest development, but are distinct from intentional communities.
Though they are called communities, there is no evidence to suggest that social capital is any higher within them than other forms of residential development. Given that they are spatially a type of enclave, they are more likely to have negative contributions to the overall social capital of the broader community.[1]
Some gated communities, usually called guard-gated communities, are staffed by private security guards. These communities are often home to high-value properties, or set up as retirement villages. Some gated communities are secure enough to resemble fortresses.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:16 AM

4,083 posts, read 8,361,871 times
What type of fees are to be paid to the gated communities? Are there monthly or annual dues? How much will it cost you to have some of your freedoms limited in the hopes of keeping those that would be considered non-desirable out?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:34 AM

Here are snipets from some websites of gated communities. They all pretty much use the same words. Nestled, progressive, heart of.

A Pocono Country Place is a progressive community whose wealth of resources provide a safe, comfortable country living atmosphere for families of all ages. Nestled in a mountain paradise rich with recreational amenities, social life and caring neighbors, A Pocono Country Place is the choice of over 10,000 residents.

Indian Mountain Lake is a private homeowner's community nestled in the Pocono Mountains of northeast Pennsylvania. All property owners are members of the Indian Mountain Lake Civic Association pursuant to each property's deed covenants.
The physical lands of IML are located in Monroe and Carbon counties and consist of approximately 4,600 acres with 3,262 single family residential building lots.

Saw Creek Estates Community Association, Inc. is a member-focused homeowner's association, representing the members and residents of this premier residential community in the heart of Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains region. Residents and guests in this private gated community enjoy the rugged mountain environment and a host of fitness, entertainment and recreational facilities that are second to none!
Welcome to our web site. Please feel free to browse, check out the latest community news and events or find out what's cooking at our very own Top of The World Restaurant and Sports Complex. You'll find that we're a very active and progressive community with something for everyone. It's all here and it's all part of the Saw Creek Experience!

PENN ESTATES, a private residential community with amenities, is located between Hallet and Cranberry Roads in Stroud and Pocono Townships, Monroe County, close to Routes 22, 611 and I-80, schools, shopping and most major Pocono attractions. Nested in the hardwood forest of Northeastern Pennsylvania, the community is designed for living “in harmony with nature.” All owners and residents are encouraged to comply with community covenants, rules and regulations to assure an excellent quality of life for the entire community while protected and enhancing values of the properties within it.

The Hideout is a planned residential community consisting of approximately 3,000 single family homes nestled in the Pocono Mountains of Northeastern Pa. While the Hideout maintains many state of the art facilities, we have also set aside nearly 250 acres of pristine woodlands for preservation in its natural state for all.

Last edited by MollyMe; 11-09-2007 at 09:43 AM..

Old 11-09-2007, 10:02 AM

14 posts, read 29,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMe View Post
Lets LiST some of the good & bad about Gated communities, shall we.

Now, I don't live in one, but my friend does and my parents do too.

Good Stuff (my opinon)
1. community pool, lakes
2. community clubhouse-great for gatherings/family parties--rent it out.
3. community playground
4. If its a community like Sierra View without a gate, but has the pool etc.

Bad Stuff
1. The gate--when it comes to getting friends in-even if its just to drop something off, could take up to 20 minutes to get in (happened to me at Indian Mountain Lakes). I'm going to a party next Saturday there, I'll time it and let you all know. Imagine, every guest for a baby shower has to stop at a gate. Annoying!!
2. Apparently there is a lot more deer roaming around in gated communities than just the regular developments. Deer----ticks--lyme disease.
3. Regular police do not have immediate access to the area. Hmmm, what about the fire dept???
4. Some have only 1 way in/out.
5. Not knowing who your neigbors are.

Question, whats the purpose of the gate anyway? For the amenities, yes, well just show a badge of where you live or something to get into the pool. Any other reasons?
That's what I dont understand about the gated communities in PA. For instance why would you want to move into a community and pay for the amenities, when you have home owners renting thier property to all types of strangers using your amenities. From my research I 've learned that Sawcreek was built in the early 1970's which means you still have the older model homes (which is not a problem),but from what I saw it seems as though the renters aren't keeping up with the upkeep of these homes. It's like mixing your clean clothes and dirty clothes in the same pile. What happens to your clean clothes?

Old 11-09-2007, 11:18 AM

910 posts, read 2,758,634 times
My friend lives in Hemlock and while their dues are quite high they get a fair amount of ammenities. Not to say ungated cant have those ammenities Im sure other communities have them too. They also have public safety and i hate driving their slow speed limit worried about getting a ticket from them.
I personally will forever pass on living in a gated community. I do live in a small community now but if I had to do it all over Id be in no community. It's my property and no one's business whether or not I choose to paint, add, get a shed, fence my garden, etc. But, hindsight is 20/20 so it's my own fault!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:06 PM

2,833 posts, read 10,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
What type of fees are to be paid to the gated communities? Are there monthly or annual dues? How much will it cost you to have some of your freedoms limited in the hopes of keeping those that would be considered non-desirable out?
This has been discussed in previous thread...the gates...
It's really not about the gates. I would love for one person to step forward and say they moved into a gated community because they like the idea of keeping 'outsiders' out. I doubt that is anyone's intention.
I have lived in a gated community for 14 years. I have never heard of anyone wanting to keep the 'non-desireable' out. And I certainly have no idea what freedoms of mine are limited because U live within a gated community.
Wallenpaupack Lake Estate is NOT a gated community, but it is a private community offering ammenities to it's property owners, just the same as The Hideout.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:51 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,970,045 times
Default LvPa

Your right...........This is in two threads.....
I think most of us who live in the area know the good communities like yours.
I think this comes up with the bad vibes from other communities.
If you get too many renters, or people who think they will work in the city and then just leave ( disown )the home in the middle of the night, the community becomes so depressed, unkempt ............
You don't have that......... nor the huge groups who came in 2001.
I was hoping the gate would keep out undesireables......yeah...
( people joke now that it keeps them in......)
But mostly I loved the contemporary homes, that was my pull to Penn Est.
The rules I hated the worst.......
Ah.........Probably no fences, I wanted a small one for the little pets to go out at night ( it was dark)
No shrubs, or whatever landscaping without a permit.
No shed without a permit.......and plan.......and directions by them of how and whys.
Permits for home colors.......although some homes got away with some awful lime greens, that glowed.
Someone was made to take down a huge decking and pool, some side rule...it was done and finished.
One man who put wood by the front area of an older home he had, was posted in the newsletter as......." this is what not to do" Pictures!!
There was a lot of homes posted in the newsletter with " not to do's"
Their homes in pictures........Ah, not the best way to go about it
Photographing of people who were putting windows in to "fine' them.
One of the worst........a lady could not repair her roof in winter, without the permit to do it.
Things like that. But, I agree that rules can make a community good.
No wash hanging on front porches, no abandoned cars, junks, RV's all over...those are good rules.
But, mainly we left because the community changed. The changes were not to our liking. The peacefulness, and uncrowded pool, and lakes........the stillness of the woods at night. The "living in harmony with nature" became something else.........

Old 01-24-2008, 06:38 AM

I JUST WANTED TO BRING UP GATED COMMUNITIES AGAIN, IN LIGHT OF MORE BAD NEWS ABOUT SOME.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:19 AM

4,083 posts, read 8,361,871 times
Its amazing what has happened to the poconos and yet soem still seem to think that all is well. The influx of families from the NYC metro area is a bad thing regardless of whether or not some are good families. Its obvious that the blatant disregard for life and property has followed them. The sad part is that I don't see much that can be done. Everyone screams for economic and social growth in the region and guess what they got what they asked for. There are people here in the Scranton area that want to embrace this growth with trains to the city and they want to bring in that out of state money. I for one want it to stay where its at and I don't think that the problems that will follow are worth the economic impact in the beginning. In the long run our proximity to the poconos and the NJ, NYC area will be the downfall of NEPA. Those that can afford to live in the better areas of NJ and NY are not moving, but those can sell their house in a bad area for what would be considered here good money will then move to NEPA and buy a house for they see as a deal based on where they are coming from. They will bring the problems with them like we see in the poconos. In a perfect world the expansion into NEPA might be good, but in the real world it is nothing BUT REAL PROBLEMS for the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania