Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,165 times

Advertisements

I need some help as I'm not to familiar with the area. I just accepted a position in Wilkes Barre, PA. I've been searching craigslist for an apartment but came to the conclusion I don't know where to look. I'm in my early 30's. Looking for somewhat of a rural area but also a low crime area. If I want to have a beer I can walk to a bar or be there quickly in a car. I don't want to live in the college area, but also don't want to live in the farm lands. I'm ok with a 15-20 minute drive to work. Also if you have suggestions on apartments I will take them or if there is a better place than craigslist. Also since I'm asking what can you tell me about the area, the people, things to do?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 04:54 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
Does your new job require you to live in Wilkes-Barre? If not, there are numerous small towns surrounding the city that might suit your requirement (walk to a bar for a beer ).

Kingston is just over the Market Street Bridge and is cheek-by-jowl with Forty Fort. There's also Shavertown/Trucksville which is bit more rural, close enough to commute, but you may find it more difficult to find a rental there. (Not ruling it out, though). Plains Twp., Exeter, Wyoming, West Pittston - all will be close enough to get you to work pretty quickly. Not too much gridlock here.

When you find something, come back and let us know what you've found and somebody will tell you if it fits your needs. Welcome.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,170,467 times
What do you want to pay a month? I checked Green Acres Apartments in Kingston, which are very nice with lots of amenities but the only apartments that they currently have available are 3 bedrooms at about $1200 per month. Check the classified ads in the Times Leader and Citizens Voice newspapers. There are apartments in converted houses that are cheaper. When you see an apartment that interests you in WB city or one of the suburbs, ask about the location here on this forum. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:52 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,083,852 times
please check out the neighborhoods in the evening when everyone is out and about--and avoid half doubles and shared driveways(words of my experience)

Old 08-09-2013, 10:01 AM

452 posts, read 681,692 times
You are the second person asking for info on the area after accepting a job here with no real knowledge of the area. What's up with this trend?

Old 08-09-2013, 12:12 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Some excellent advice has already been provided here, especially from theatergypsy, Wells5, and auntieannie68. If I was working in Wilkes-Barre (presumably Downtown?) I'd live in Kingston in a heartbeat. Other than the fear of flooding, which hasn't happened since 1972, that community is a model suburb in my eyes, with its flat topography, tree- and sidewalk-lined streets, and mixed-use zoning that permits most people in the town to live within walking distance of many businesses. A lot of white-collar college-educated professionals who work at King's College, Wilkes University, Guard Insurance, etc. live in Kingston and walk across the bridges to work. Within a mile radius of Kingston you have not only all that Downtown Wilkes-Barre offers (movie theater, performing arts center, YMCA, universities, ethnic restaurants, nightlife, galleries, etc.) but also the West Side Mall and Gateway Shopping Center, which house grocery stores, Lowe's Home Improvement, and numerous other conveniences. Some of my favorite Kingston businesses include The Bake House, Goldstein's Deli, Pierce Street Deli, Theo's Metro (Greek), Dairy Queen, and Tommy's Pizza Corner, amongst others.

Kingston lies along the levee, which has a paved trail atop it for recreational running, cycling, dog-walking, etc. It is also very near to Frances Slocum State Park in the Back Mountain for outdoor recreation, and Ricketts Glen State Park, noted for its gorgeous waterfalls, is about a half-hour away (also in the Back Mountain). Kirby Park is technically in the city proper of Wilkes-Barre but is located on the Kingston side of the river.

I actually don't know why Kingston isn't recommended more on this forum. It's certainly a nicer place to raise a family, in my opinion, than the sterile surroundings of a place like Mountain Top or the Back Mountain.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:18 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,981,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Some excellent advice has already been provided here, especially from theatergypsy, Wells5, and auntieannie68. If I was working in Wilkes-Barre (presumably Downtown?) I'd live in Kingston in a heartbeat. Other than the fear of flooding, which hasn't happened since 1972, that community is a model suburb in my eyes, with its flat topography, tree- and sidewalk-lined streets, and mixed-use zoning that permits most people in the town to live within walking distance of many businesses. A lot of white-collar college-educated professionals who work at King's College, Wilkes University, Guard Insurance, etc. live in Kingston and walk across the bridges to work. Within a mile radius of Kingston you have not only all that Downtown Wilkes-Barre offers (movie theater, performing arts center, YMCA, universities, ethnic restaurants, nightlife, galleries, etc.) but also the West Side Mall and Gateway Shopping Center, which house grocery stores, Lowe's Home Improvement, and numerous other conveniences. Some of my favorite Kingston businesses include The Bake House, Goldstein's Deli, Pierce Street Deli, Theo's Metro (Greek), Dairy Queen, and Tommy's Pizza Corner, amongst others.

Kingston lies along the levee, which has a paved trail atop it for recreational running, cycling, dog-walking, etc. It is also very near to Frances Slocum State Park in the Back Mountain for outdoor recreation, and Ricketts Glen State Park, noted for its gorgeous waterfalls, is about a half-hour away (also in the Back Mountain). Kirby Park is technically in the city proper of Wilkes-Barre but is located on the Kingston side of the river.

I actually don't know why Kingston isn't recommended more on this forum. It's certainly a nicer place to raise a family, in my opinion, than the sterile surroundings of a place like Mountain Top or the Back Mountain.
Kingston has a 3.5% wage tax, unless its changed since we lived there. Otherwise agree its a good choice. Plains would probably be one of my top picks for the WB area though, unless you need to send kids to public school.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:24 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
You are the second person asking for info on the area after accepting a job here with no real knowledge of the area. What's up with this trend?
Many people have become willing to relocate for jobs with the state of the economy. Also for young graduates, like medical students going int residency, have a lottery type drawing for where they "go next" based on the student's personal rankings. Many times it's to places they're not overly familiar with.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,165 times
Thank you very much!!! I will be in the area this weekend to look around so I'll check back with a couple street/location prior to picking an apartment. Again thank you so much. I didn't realize how many towns are in one area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania