Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 06:22 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,628,902 times

Advertisements

Ok, I get the general idea, but how does it come into play with say, a neglected home, and one that is well kept? You always hear people saying that they are thinking of petitioning to get their taxes lowered when a new neighbor moves in with a junk car or two and lets the yard go to hell, same as you hear of people who won't put a dime into the outside of a house, for fear that their taxes will go up. How does this work in the real world, or is that really how it is? Never got a full run down on the details, and figured some others would like to know with the county-wide reassessment going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 10:39 AM

173 posts, read 579,582 times
All places are different. For example carbon county does it when you buy a new home. They base it on the "Fair Market Value" IE: Meaning the price you bought the house for. So if the previous person had bought the house for say 90,000 10 years ago their taxes are based off 90,000. When you buy the house for 250,000 the taxes are based on the 250,000. I don't know how any of the other countys work, i just know that is how carbon does it since i just recently bought a house there.

As for petitioning, i generally believe you'll spend more money fighting the county then you would to just pay the extra taxes. You'd have to prove your home is not work what they are saying it is worth, which means your need an apprisal (atleast $300). Now if the apprisal came back much lower then what they say the house it work you might have a shot of saving some money in the long run. But if the apprisal comes back the same amount or even more well then you just spent 300 dollars for nothing. Generally the neighbors junk car in their yard isn't going to make a huge difference on the value of your home. Maybe a tiny bit, 1000 dollars here and there. But 1000 dollars in assessed value is probably a few dollars a month in taxes.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:45 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,628,902 times
The reason I ask is because Lackawanna is doing their first reassessment since 67/68, so I'm sure it's going to be more than a few bucks a month...

Old 11-14-2007, 11:07 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,817,061 times
It's supposed to be a zero sum game; that is unless you've made major additions to your home or for some reason experienced a very localized appreciation in home value, your taxes should stay relatively flat. (Your assessed value will likely go up but the tax rate will come down.)

Old 11-14-2007, 11:22 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,516,607 times
The state of NJ is supposed to do a reassessment.........they you will see the folks running to PA. Right now NJ has one the highest tax brackets in the nation. If they start reassessing folks then they will be coming here soon.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 AM

173 posts, read 579,582 times
For example in carbon county. THe house i bought was worth 90,000 assessed value. When i bought it for 152,500 that was the new assessed value. My taxes went up about 200 dollars a year, i believe. So say if your house assessment doubled in value, your taxes aren't going to double. I don't know the formulas they use to calculate taxes but like LNTT said, your not looking at a huge increase because of the way they do it. I believe you will see an increase. however it's not going to be anything earth shattering otherwise no one would be able to keep their homes.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:04 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,590,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
The state of NJ is supposed to do a reassessment.........they you will see the folks running to PA. Right now NJ has one the highest tax brackets in the nation. If they start reassessing folks then they will be coming here soon.
Oh boy then I better get my extra bedrooms ready, cause' I have a lot of friends in New Jersey.
And you know what our plate says........" You got a friend in Pennsylvania"
That means, they will be headed to my house......clear the driveway......and get a closet ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania