Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 28,241 times

Advertisements

I don't work from home but I do work part time. I am a school bus driver, its easier than you think to drive a bus! Driving a van or small bus is like driving a mini van. Some school dist. will let you bring your young ones on the bus and when school is not in session you get unemployment. I have medical and dental benefits and a 401K. Call your School Dist. I'm sure they will help you out. I work 2 and 1/2 hrs. in the a.m. then in the p.m.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,920,254 times
Medical transcription is definitely NOT the easy-fix answer. The whole industry is going downhill and I'm going back to school to get out ASAP. The line rates are lower than they were 15 yrs ago. The companies are awful these days as well for the most part.

You cannot make money as a MT with a quickie medical terminology course. You need quality training, which can be done online, but from a real school like here: Medical Transcription / Medical Coding

In addition, many companies are sending their work overseas to India, the Philippines, and Trinidad & Tobago, so the opportunities here are diminishing all the time. Definitely go to Medical Transcription : 7,000 Medical Transcriptionists Online or MT Desk for the real scoop on the MT profession.

I would run and hide from MedQuist. They are a terrible company to work for. My wonderful small service eventually got swallowed by them. I stuck around for several years but it got worse and worse. You can read about the company on the MQ board at MT Stars if you need more information.

Last edited by karen_s; 11-26-2007 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Add MQ info

Old 11-18-2008, 05:53 PM

105,766 posts, read 107,756,464 times
i was thinking of becoming a gyn in my spare time..... its got to beat knitting those little teddy bears soooo i can work at home ha ha ha

Old 11-18-2008, 06:58 PM

936 posts, read 2,387,983 times
Its funny that this thread came on today. I am thinking about taking a 10 week course in medical transcription/medical billing and coding. I would like to have an opportunity to work from home and I am hoping this course will help. I am an x-ray tech and even though I am still looking for a job in this field I think the course will help me in my future. Especially if I am not able to find a job. I will check out the websites listed, well except for the one that was shot down by poconosmama. Thanks for the input poconosmama. There are so many bogus websites. Any other info will be appreciated.
roxy

Old 11-19-2008, 05:10 AM

910 posts, read 2,981,005 times
Why was my post 'orphaned' and I dont even know what that means? I simply told the person to beware of internet scams like that person posted???

Old 11-19-2008, 07:12 AM

936 posts, read 2,387,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosmama View Post
Why was my post 'orphaned' and I dont even know what that means? I simply told the person to beware of internet scams like that person posted???
What happened??? I dont see your post or the other persons post with website that is a scam.

They must of disappeared into cyber space.........

Old 11-19-2008, 08:39 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,732,530 times
ahhhh....the powers at be have asserted their authority!
I saw it...I remember it!! It is definitely now gone. As long as the other one is gone too.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,569,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
ahhhh....the powers at be have asserted their authority!
I saw it...I remember it!! It is definitely now gone. As long as the other one is gone too.
I am so confused....who dug up this post from the grave of 2007? Anyway, to the person who inquired about legit work at home opportunities in transcription, I have been doing transcription from home for years...There are several legit companies out there. Rule of thumb is this: IF ANY COMPANY ASKS YOU FOR MONEY IT IS A SCAM plain and simple. The ONLY thing you should have to shell out cash for is hardware, such as a good set of headphones and a foot pedal (which will run you about $70). You shouldn't even need to purchase software as there is free software like EasyScribe out there that you can download and use with your foot pedal for most file types. A good resource for LEGIT transcription services that hire independent contractors is the work at home mom website, www.wahm.com Go to the forums there (on the left) and open the "transcription" folder. In that folder is a sticky post with a list of legit companies that hire IC's. I work for one of the companies on that list part time from home, and they have been extremely good to me...even giving me a pay raise this year without my even asking and even amidst this economic crisis!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:14 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,694,184 times
Orphaned means that the post you were referring to was deleted or edited.
Yac.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:27 AM

105,766 posts, read 107,756,464 times
i used to like the ole ads ,earn 10.00 bucks stuffing envelopes... you would pay 10 bucks to get the info and they would tell you to run ads like theirs and charge 10 bucks to tell someone to run ads like yours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania