Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:12 PM

253 posts, read 996,614 times

Advertisements

Hi All - My husband and I are planning to move to PA next year and we're trying to narrow down a location, which I thought we had done. We're partial to the communities in the Poconos and had pretty much planned on Big Bass Lake. However, this weekend someone had recommended we look at Tink-Wig and or Fawn Lake Forest. We have not been there yet, and don't know much about it other than what you can google online. Does anyone have any first hand experiences with these 2 communities, or have any further insight?

Thanks in advance
Barbara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 12:46 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,082 times
a friend of mine moved into fawn lake a year ago from clarks summit. I went to visit him and I thought the community was great. He loves it as well. The only thing I remember him saying negative ( eye of the beholder) was that if he left his dog with its food a neighbor said it could attract some bears that were known to be in the area. It is populated enough to keep out bears but depending on where u are you may see one once in a blue moon.

I thought the area was super nice. I never have been to tink-wig. but I love lake Wallenpaupak. It is a busy lake boat wise but a ton of fun.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:52 PM

307 posts, read 768,213 times
They are both ok communities, Fawn lake has a better rep. I am not sure if tink wig has a lake though. I know Fawn lakw has an indoor pool, and is only a few miles from a really good ski resort (big bear) which is part of Mast hope comunity, Mast hope has skiing/ horse back riding/ they also have a bar and restaurants, woodledge is also nice and has a lake. Fawn lake/ woodledge/mast hope/ tik wig/ woodloch springs (which is a gated community with golfing/ spas / pools/ and anthing else you can think of is very expensive but very beautiful) all of these places are within 10-15 miles of each other in the Rowland/ bohemia/ Hawley area. Hope this helped.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:38 PM

59 posts, read 272,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagldot View Post
Hi All - My husband and I are planning to move to PA next year and we're trying to narrow down a location, which I thought we had done. We're partial to the communities in the Poconos and had pretty much planned on Big Bass Lake. However, this weekend someone had recommended we look at Tink-Wig and or Fawn Lake Forest. We have not been there yet, and don't know much about it other than what you can google online. Does anyone have any first hand experiences with these 2 communities, or have any further insight?

Thanks in advance
Barbara
Fawn Lake is a great community. My company does a lot of business in there, so I'm there all the time. However, you should really compare and look at all the communities in this area. Some of the ones you might want to look at are (including the ones you mentioned):

Beaver Lake Estates - Damascus
Big Bass Lake - Gouldsboro
Elk Lake - Waymart
Fawn Lake - Lackawaxen
Hidden Lake Estates (a tad pricey, but worth it) - Hawley
Hideout - Lake Ariel
Indian Rocks - Greentownish...ya know, I'm not sure what town that is
Lake Henry - Maplewood/Lake Ariel
Lake In The Clouds - Canadensis
Lake Wallenpaupack Estates - Greentown
Laurel Lane - Greentown
Masthope Community - Lackawaxen
Paupacken Lake Estates - Lakeville
Pennwood - Greentown
Skyview Lake - Greentown
Tanglewood Lakes - Greentown
Tanglewood North - Tafton
Tink-Wig - Hawley
Wallenpaupack Lake Estates - Lake Ariel
White Beauty View - Greentown
Woodledge Village - Hawley
Woodloch Springs - Hawley

Not to confuse you or anything...

Old 07-14-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Today's Trip

Thanks to all for the recommendations. We had some time today and took a ride up to Hawley area and drove through Tinkwig. I know it's a private community, but without gates, no one stopped us. Seems like there's a lot of land in there - houses are pretty far apart, which we liked. We also like the fact that the town of Hawley is about 10 minutes away with the necessities we need - pharmacy, grocery, banks, etc. and there's restaurants by Lake Wallenpaupack. So - we're adding it to our list.

Questions now:
Is there anyone out there that lives in TinkWig or has been there that can tell us the condition of the clubhouse? What's inside there, and what's it used for?

Since we didn't get to go to Fawn Lake (we'll get over there another time) - for those of you who've been there, how close are the houses to one another? We need at least 1 acre of land to build the ranch we want, and I'm not seeing many lots that size for sale in the MLS. I'd like to avoid having the neighbors ontop of me.

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2007, 12:00 PM

487 posts, read 1,374,529 times
I'm not familiar with Fawn Lake, but you're right about needing at least one acre to build your ranch. We had looked at a 1/2 acre lot in Sky View Lake Estates and it just wouldn't accommodate our house plans which include a side-load garage. I noticed that the communities with 1/2 acre lots have a more "crowded" feel to them. I'm not saying that's a negative, but if you're looking for a little elbow room, then one acre should do it. Most of the lots in our community, Sugar Hill Estates are at least one acre. No amenities though, just road maintenance and garbage service. However, with the low/no amenities come low dues. Something to think about unless you have young children and need the pool/clubhouse/tennis courts, etc.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:34 PM

You've confirmed our situation with the land. We've picked out our house - which does have the side-load garage too, and we think we've picked out our builder who confirmed we need at least an acre, so that limits us for many communities.

We won't have school age children next year, youngest going into college then, so we don't care about the school system. My husband is retired (police) and I telecommute to work, so we won't be meeting any people at an office or work either. Although I have a lot of relatives in the Hamlin area, they're seniors, and we're in our 50's and would like to meet people our own age, so we're hoping to find a place with amentities or a town where we have the opportunity to meet others.

If anyone has any other suggestions, would love to hear them. The places we've crossed off our list for various reasons include:

Fawn Lake Forest
The Hideout
Big Bass Lake
Indian Rocks
Anything by Dingmans
Wallenpaupack Lake Estates
Hidden Lake Estates
Masthope
Woodloch Springs
Tanglewood North
Skyview Lake

Would be interested in hearing from anyone in Tangleood Lake Estates. One realtor gave us a copy of their rules, covenants, etc. If I understand correctly, they have a golf course, health club and club house inside there, but you would need to pay a fee to join since it's not part of the Homeowner's association - is that correct? This seems to be a nice package for people like us who don't want to golf, but might want to use the clubhouse or health club.

Some days I feel like I'm going around in circles with all these decisions, so I thank everyone who's contributed any ideas!

Old 07-15-2007, 10:43 PM

59 posts, read 272,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagldot View Post
You've confirmed our situation with the land. We've picked out our house - which does have the side-load garage too, and we think we've picked out our builder who confirmed we need at least an acre, so that limits us for many communities.

We won't have school age children next year, youngest going into college then, so we don't care about the school system. My husband is retired (police) and I telecommute to work, so we won't be meeting any people at an office or work either. Although I have a lot of relatives in the Hamlin area, they're seniors, and we're in our 50's and would like to meet people our own age, so we're hoping to find a place with amentities or a town where we have the opportunity to meet others.

If anyone has any other suggestions, would love to hear them. The places we've crossed off our list for various reasons include:

Fawn Lake Forest
The Hideout
Big Bass Lake
Indian Rocks
Anything by Dingmans
Wallenpaupack Lake Estates
Hidden Lake Estates
Masthope
Woodloch Springs
Tanglewood North
Skyview Lake

Would be interested in hearing from anyone in Tangleood Lake Estates. One realtor gave us a copy of their rules, covenants, etc. If I understand correctly, they have a golf course, health club and club house inside there, but you would need to pay a fee to join since it's not part of the Homeowner's association - is that correct? This seems to be a nice package for people like us who don't want to golf, but might want to use the clubhouse or health club.

Some days I feel like I'm going around in circles with all these decisions, so I thank everyone who's contributed any ideas!
White Beauty View in Greentown.

It's small and quiet. Hard to even notice when driving by.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:13 AM

487 posts, read 1,374,529 times
We are also in our fifties, so the schools are not terribly important to us. But, I do think it's important when it comes to resale value. The Wallenpaupack School District comes highly recommended and I'm happy we are building within that district. I believe the dues for Tanglewood Lake Estates are rather high. Since we're moving from Long Island/high taxes, we didn't want to trade for low taxes plus high dues. Didn't seem like much incentive to make the move. Just a thought.

Last edited by bldginpa; 07-16-2007 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-16-2007, 08:19 AM

Default To Bldginpa

Thanks for the info. I agree with the part about the low dues, which is the main reason why we're moving Big Bass Lake off our list. Coming from NJ, we pay 9K in taxes right now, and don't want to find ourselves in the same boat 10 years or so down the road. We also need the low dues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania