Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 03:17 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,889 times

Advertisements

Wow, another homicide in W/B last nite? FB is blowing up, this guy that was shot spent his last hours with the family who lost a daughter from brain cancer last year in Scranton at a benefit. Decent guy from what i'm reading, what is going on there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 04:00 PM

452 posts, read 681,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Wow, another homicide in W/B last nite? FB is blowing up, this guy that was shot spent his last hours with the family who lost a daughter from brain cancer last year in Scranton at a benefit. Decent guy from what i'm reading, what is going on there?
Don't ask Chefkey.... I got called names.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:37 PM

83 posts, read 206,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Now compare it to 30 or 40 years ago, especially the murder rate.
Yes, but again, that could be said for just about everywhere. People are getting more crazy in our country every year and violent crime continues to rise pretty much everywhere. It's STILL under the national average which means it's better there than in the majority of the US.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:58 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
Gee Chefkey, you hurt my feelings....I guess your post could be considered a "personal attack" but I got big boy knickers on and enjoy a little tussle now and then. (one cry baby asked TBT to actually come to his rescue when he attacked me and I showed him the errors of his ways.) But back on topic, this is the Wilkes Barre thread and I just commented on a current event. And in my opinion, the regulars here fail to give people a balanced view of the area and how it's deteriorating when they ask questions about relocating to the area. I think I'm do a "public service" if you will. I do however have sympathy for you. Must really be frustrating to watch the crime rate go up as your property value gets flushed like a turd. Also, I've never been to the Steamtown Mall or will ever get there. I forgive you for your confusion.
Sorry Trips but I took your first negative response as a "personal attack" as well. I don't like the rising crime as much as anyone else but I see it for what it is. It is all pockets of low life types who mostly have migrated here from New York. It all started with that damn Sherman Hills being approved for section 8. Once that happened the floodgates opened when all the scum getting cheap housing called their friends back home.

I still don't see a "crime" problem when I walk around town which is why I get pissed off when people come in here constantly bashing the place like it is Trenton or Newark. If you aren't where the low lifes are your chance of a run in is still pretty low. The town is nice the rest of the way around and most people take good care of their own.

What this town needs for starters is to limit the amount of housing assistance. Then put extra tax dollars into more police to be patrolled around the housing complexes. Get the Mayor off his arse and have him call the DEA and put together a task force for the city to root out the problem people.

But having to browse through here everyday and read negative comments warranted or not it gets annoying.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:29 PM

452 posts, read 681,958 times
Chefkey, I respect your opinion and think you have made several valid observations. I have made similar observations in the past, but lets say you do it more to the "PC" side of life. (TBT beats me up like a red headed step child) Either way, I enjoy a spirited discussion with you any day of the week. Good luck to you sir, and good evening.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:05 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Hey!!! ANOTHER homicide. Any cheerleaders here willing to justify this one and sweep it under the rug so they can convince people looking to relocate to the area what a "good idea" it is??? LOL....

NO one has tried to justify anything.

EVERY single one of us have said that crime is an issue in this area.

Just because we refuse to relegate every citizen of Wilkes-Barre to the scumbag pile doesn't mean we are lying or overly optimistic.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Gee Chefkey, you hurt my feelings....I guess your post could be considered a "personal attack" but I got big boy knickers on and enjoy a little tussle now and then. (one cry baby asked TBT to actually come to his rescue when he attacked me and I showed him the errors of his ways.) But back on topic, this is the Wilkes Barre thread and I just commented on a current event. And in my opinion, the regulars here fail to give people a balanced view of the area and how it's deteriorating when they ask questions about relocating to the area. I think I'm do a "public service" if you will. I do however have sympathy for you. Must really be frustrating to watch the crime rate go up as your property value gets flushed like a turd. Also, I've never been to the Steamtown Mall or will ever get there. I forgive you for your confusion.

And IMO other regulars unfairly **** all over the city and refuse to acknowledge its' positives.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Don't ask Chefkey.... I got called names.

Yes because your post and Sue's were exactly the same. Same content, same tone, same concern.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Chefkey, I respect your opinion and think you have made several valid observations. I have made similar observations in the past, but lets say you do it more to the "PC" side of life. (TBT beats me up like a red headed step child) Either way, I enjoy a spirited discussion with you any day of the week. Good luck to you sir, and good evening.

You catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrwl View Post
Yes, but again, that could be said for just about everywhere. People are getting more crazy in our country every year and violent crime continues to rise pretty much everywhere. It's STILL under the national average which means it's better there than in the majority of the US.
Violent crime and murder rates have been on the decline since the 90's, we've seen the exact opposite. This area was largely unaffected by the crack epidemic that caused violent crime to spike in the 90's so the rate it has increased is that much more.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania