Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:40 AM

414 posts, read 1,779,857 times

Advertisements

er, 'tis 'hainna', ain't it? There was once a dorm aff'ly referred to as Hainna Hall at Wilkes (College) Univ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 10:57 AM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times
Default OK Now I won't worry about my accent

I yousta worry about my accent being from NY/NJ. Those accents don't sound too much different then mine! I remember living in South Jersey, boy I stuck out like a sore thumb. There was alot of Philly accents goin' on down there. I remember goin' to the mall and asking where the elevator was. The lady said "excuse me?" I asked again and she replied "over by the coote department" I just shook my head and then figured out what a coote was...
she was saying the COAT department!

Old 12-16-2007, 12:52 AM

34 posts, read 45,992 times
Mid-Valley.....seems the folks love to say enna......yet when I was younger I don't remember anybody using that "word" in the Mid-Valley

Old 12-18-2007, 04:29 PM

26 posts, read 93,383 times
I grew up hearing Hayna? and Henna? and the mother of them all...Henna or no?

When I first moved away from the Wyoming Valley and took a new job, the people I worked with said, "You're from the Coal Region, aren't you?", and I asked, "Yes, how do you know?" They said, "It's your accent, it makes you sound stupid." I was so offended!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
I made the mother of all mistakes when I moved here to NEPA from L.I. I got a job within weeks of moving here and I told a young girl with whom I worked with that SHE had an accent! I still can picture the look on her face! We never really did get along after that. When I think back to what culture shock I went through...I wouldn't want to go there again! I had a rather huge Chevy Suburban with some custom work on it, N.Y. plates still, and a 'for sale' sign. Well...my lovely employer asked me not to park it in our parking lot because of my N.Y. plates! Imagine that! The list goes on but I really would like to think I'm over it....

Old 12-19-2007, 07:26 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I made the mother of all mistakes when I moved here to NEPA from L.I. I got a job within weeks of moving here and I told a young girl with whom I worked with that SHE had an accent! I still can picture the look on her face! We never really did get along after that. When I think back to what culture shock I went through...I wouldn't want to go there again! I had a rather huge Chevy Suburban with some custom work on it, N.Y. plates still, and a 'for sale' sign. Well...my lovely employer asked me not to park it in our parking lot because of my N.Y. plates! Imagine that! The list goes on but I really would like to think I'm over it....
That's outrageous! What type of industry was this employer in if I may inquire? I'll be sure never to patronize that place. Hell, if I owned a business I'd think people might be MORE encouraged to patronize it if they saw more out-of-state plates parked in front, as people would think it was the popularity of my business alone that was drawing in folks from other states.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:03 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
I worked in a bank...the comment for me to move my car was back in the day where there was a board of directors aka 'the good old boys.'

Old 12-30-2007, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,819 times
ok I know this isn't really the right thread but... my dad grew up in dickson city and my mom went to marywood, and they saw the heyna video on you tube, but they told us of a heyna song that was from back in the day, well kinda more of a chant. They can only remember the first part of the song, does anybody know the rest? My sister and I have been dying to know the rest..

The first part is like this:
Heyna, Heyna
Heyna, Heyna
We're From Scranton (or whatever town/city), Pennsylvania...

Thanks to anyone that can help

Old 01-01-2008, 12:19 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
yeah 'Aina' or 'aint' is used all the way to Pottsville and the rest of Schuylkill County. I love that 'NEPA talk', kind of makes me miss the area a bit.
goin' up the Eynon..that was done ages ago.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:54 PM

113 posts, read 414,979 times
If you haven't checked out this dictionary, you've really got to. This link was posted by Mistyriverranch last month:

CoalSpeak: Dictionary of the Coal Region (http://www.coalregion.com/Speak/speakA.htm - broken link)

VERY funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania