Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Christmas Parade Might You Attend This Weekend?
Scranton 5 26.32%
Wilkes-Barre 4 21.05%
Neither 10 52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 03:46 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times

Advertisements

As usual Scranton and Wilkes-Barre are foolishly competing with one another by having their Christmas parades on each day. As a result I'm still undecided on as to which parade I should attend. I believe the parade in Scranton is larger, but the parade in Wilkes-Barre seems to be cozier and more intimate. My college will be participating in the parade, so I'm tempted to attend the Wilkes-Barre one to cheer them on, but my significant other lives in Pike County, closer to Scranton, so it would be more feasible to pick him up and then head to the Electric City's parade. Anybody have a preference for one parade over the other? Furthermore, does anybody know why both cities INSIST on competing all the time by always having so many events at the same time? I'm sure if these parades were held on different weekends you'd have people from Wilkes-Barre taking their children to the Scranton parade, and vice-versa, hence pumping MORE money into each community.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 11-15-2007 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 04:22 PM

910 posts, read 2,991,783 times
How ridiculous to have both parades on conflicting schedules. I cant imagine bringing the kids, just too many people for us. If I had to choose I'd say wilkes barre because of what you said, cozy, low key, etc. Just pick him up the night before for a slumber party and go the distance

Old 11-15-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosmama View Post
How ridiculous to have both parades on conflicting schedules. I cant imagine bringing the kids, just too many people for us. If I had to choose I'd say wilkes barre because of what you said, cozy, low key, etc. Just pick him up the night before for a slumber party and go the distance
Thanks for the tip. I'll agree that it's stupid that both cities are always competing for the same visitors. For example, I live in Pittston, which is midway between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. I've talked to people from my community who are going to EACH parade. Perhaps if they were on different weekends some of these people would be tempted to go to BOTH. I hear that Honesdale, Jim Thorpe, and Stroudsburg all do nice things for the Holidays, so if you're looking for someplace to take the kids you might want to check those out.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:27 PM

Yes we go on the santa train ride in honesdale fun for all! Theres usually something to do every weekend up here from now until Christmas. We're actually venturing up to Binghamton this sunday for a disney show thing if anyone has any info on what to do up there....not to hijack your thread....

Old 11-15-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosmama View Post
Yes we go on the santa train ride in honesdale fun for all! Theres usually something to do every weekend up here from now until Christmas. We're actually venturing up to Binghamton this sunday for a disney show thing if anyone has any info on what to do up there....not to hijack your thread....
I know there's a carousel museum and a science museum somewhere in Binghamton, both of which the kids might enjoy. I did a photo tour of Binghamton as well, which you can check out here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...hoto-tour.html

Binghamton has a "sketchy" reputation, but it seems to be getting much better in recent years. Binghamton University has expanded downtown as well since I did my photo tour early this year.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:42 PM

I used to go there alot when I was at college about 45 minutes from there and there really wasnt much to do. Honestly we wouldnt be traveling that far if this show would come to a venue a bit closer. im going to check the photo tour now, see how much has changed since I was in college lightyears ago lol!

Old 11-15-2007, 05:45 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,481 times
Scranton Parade.
As far as why they have them the same day, does this happen every year?

Old 11-15-2007, 05:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Isn't it a little early for a Christmas parade?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Isn't it a little early for a Christmas parade?
Welcome to NEPA. At Lowe's we had our Christmas merchandise arriving into our stockroom by the end of August! People in my subdivision are already decorating, and I'm sure I'll be putting up the icicle lights myself next week on Black Friday.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Scranton Parade.
As far as why they have them the same day, does this happen every year?
It usually does. I think this same conflict arises with the St. Patrick's Day Parade every year too, even though Wilkes-Barre knows that its rinky-dinky parade pales to Scranton's, which is supposedly the fourth-largest in the nation.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 11-15-2007 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania