Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:59 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,462,987 times

Advertisements

Does your cat sleep on the TV? If so, it is the perfect incubator? Cats love to be near anything warm like that. Those little white flea eggs are not hard to find. You might want to check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,550 times
Default bye-bye fleas

The best thing i have found in all my years as a vet assistant for flea control is BioSpot flea control. You put it on the animal and anything that animal touches the fleas die there also.They have the flea control liquid and there is also a spray. I suggest you treat them with the liquid and then use the spray around the house.
I live in a farmland area and none of my cats or dogs have had any fleas or ticks on them or in our home for the past 7 years. The most affordable place to buy this in on the Foster and Smith website. Try it and hopefully your worries will be gone.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:02 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,888 times
I also am having problems with fleas this year and I've never had to deal with it before. Maybe something with this year? I also believe that my new house had them when I moved in and that they hatched as the weather became right. Luckily I have not been bitten and I have never found any on my dog. I wonder if they are cat fleas. They are all over the yard and when you open the front door invariably one jumps in the house.

I leave disposable pie plates filled with soapy water around the house and it has been very effective in killing many fleas. I'm also vacuuming daily for a while and the problem seems to be getting better. At this point I don't want to do anything chemical but if it gets bad enough I will.

I feel like the problem is not my dog bringing them in but just that they are all over the yard and hopping in the house and through the cracks and such. I actually wonder if they are even fleas since they are not biting me or the dog. Is there another kind of infestation that looks like fleas but is not?
Argh! Very frustrating.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:15 AM

755 posts, read 2,333,908 times
MermanMike-
We have used Triazicide from Home Depot on the grass. We originally bought it for tick control but found that it is also supposed to kill fleas among many other insects. It works very well. I think we treated the outside 2 or 3x from spring to fall. This is why we believe that the house had fleas when we bought it...we treated the outside already and never had a flea problem before we moved here.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions....

Old 11-16-2007, 06:32 AM

996 posts, read 3,278,890 times
I have used Frontline on both our dog and cats for several years and we have not had any problem with fleas. I started using it because it was the only one that was supposed to be for ticks also, as our one cat was coming in with ticks on his neck area several times per week. I was skepical at first, but this product really does work and is worth the money.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:52 AM

9 posts, read 19,423 times
I have to agree with the others, my parents had the same problem for years and it seemed like some of the best success was the bombing and regular treatment by the vets orders. Fleas can be a big pain and somehow they never die. As for the skunk recipe, it is the best I ever used, My dog was sprayed so bad she had lock jaw and was foaming from the mounth. It actually smelt like gasoline thats how bad it was, I called the emergency vet in Avoca and that was the same recipe they gave me. After about an hour of scrubbing her at 1 in the morning she was much more tolerable, as for the house and furniture different story.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:42 AM

30 posts, read 148,133 times
Exclamation I'll say it again!

Bio-Spot and Hartz are not safe!!!!!!!!!!!

Do some research!

Bio Spot - Flea & Tick Control for Dogs - Consumer Alert

Animal Help: What You May Not Know About Flea Products

Safe flea control:
HelpingAnimals.com // Animals @ Home // Flea Control: Safe Solutions

Old 11-16-2007, 09:26 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Default Frontline

My dogs were so allergic to the flea solutions.
They could never have the flea collars......
They needed Oatmeal shampoo, or would get huge sking problems.
I have not had one flea in 7 or 8 years since using Frontline.
It is expensive. But, I happened across information on a website that
explains how the "large dog" amounts can be divided into 4 doses per vile.
So I ordered from Ebay (a Australian Company), but the frontline comes out of California. I ordered the size for large dogs.......even though I had two small. Someone posted the ingredients and they are exact for large or small dogs, just the dose was different.
So I was able to make a 3 month supply go to being 6 months.( for two small dogs) Now, that my older dog is gone. I can get the dose to even go further. I would have enough for one year!
My little dog I have now, broke out in red hives from the Hartz brand........
I had to rush him into the bath as fast as I could.
So from that point on I bought Frontline.........the Vet told me this would not do that. It works fine.
You get no fleas, no ticks.......and you never have to worry about your home again.
It is worth every penny...........
Previously I had also used the Avon Skin so soft ( promoted as the natural way)at the beach in Myrtle........believe me it did not work.........and thus I was left in a big horror there.
Also.........I would never, ever, use Hartz.........my little guy went crazy with that!
I never have a problem even walking the beach, as long as Frontline is on.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:45 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,114,293 times
Another must have for pets is a tick remover! Those suckers are hard to get off, and most times the head and mouth can't easily be removed. And they give me the willies. At my pet store I found a product called Ticked Off. It looks like a teaspoon sized measuring spoon, with a v cut into the tip. Tick removal is quick, painless, and you don't have to touch the critter. My daughter had the misfortune of having a tick attached to her arm after hugging our dog. I used the Ticked Off tick remover on her as well. (If this happens to you or your child save the tick and take it to a vet to ensure you/they are not in danger of lyme disease from that tick)

Old 11-16-2007, 09:55 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
We have a cat that likes to escape to the outside, no matter how much we try to stop her, but once we got her back inside, we had to do something to stop a flea infestation. Biospot for cats worked great, with no apparent harmful effects. We had tried Hartz spot treatment in the past, and avoid that like the plague....our cat broke out into some sort of rash on her neck and ran around like a loon bumping into things. But Biospot worked fine. 11 bucks for a 3 month supply at Petsmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania