Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:38 AM

620 posts, read 2,056,042 times

Advertisements

Good for you for being sober from one sober man to another. It is a shame that when ever someone finds out I'm sober they think I had a drinking problem. I just don't see the pleasure in escaping the reality of my beautiful life! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 01:33 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
Good for you for being sober from one sober man to another. It is a shame that when ever someone finds out I'm sober they think I had a drinking problem. I just don't see the pleasure in escaping the reality of my beautiful life! )
Thanks. Don't feel alone though. I'm viewed as a social outcast too because I don't like to drink. Heaven forbid I order a WATER when we go out.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
SWB: ^^^Oddly enough, militating against alcoholism probably won't get you anything but frustration and will usually create the opposite result. It's a tricky disease. Seek out others locally who have deep experience and not those who simply militate. You'll save yourself years of anguish from what I understand.....
Thanks for the advice. Are you implying that many alcoholics started off opposing alcohol and then giving into temptation and becoming the way they now are? I haven't had the luxury of being around too many people who can just have one or two drinks and don't make total jackasses out of themselves in the long-run, so perhaps there ARE people out there who can drink responsibly. Perhaps it's just our area where most take it too far (judging by the court notes I read every other day in the Times-Tribune where it seems like 15 people were arrested for DUIs).

Old 11-16-2007, 03:46 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,857 times
^ I'm implying nothing of the sort.

I do recognize that there are loads of young people who can drink and drug like gangbusters and later move past that stage and not become active alcoholics. Someone like Bette Midler comes to mind...she lived life to the hilt in the 60s and 70s, but later moved on to a more productive life without skipping a beat and without having a drug or alcohol problem

Others don't have that good fortune and later end up in places they'd rather not be if they were in their right minds to varying degrees from getting platered daily to ending up being homeless, alcoholically insane or still worse----vegetaitve, institutionized 'wet brains'.

As for militating against it, you might as well beat your head bloody against a wall. No one is smarter than alcoholism. No one controls it or anyone else's boozing. You might as well militate against compulsive behaviour, the schizoprhenias or narcissism and see how far you get. Kapisch? Family members of alchoholics have the bad luck of being stuck with the disease (as co-alcoholics) by default; they need help as well; putting off that help is as unwise as starting to save for your retirement at 61 rather than at 21 years of age looking at it in financial terms as analogy. The sooner one gets to it, the better his/her life will be.

PS: there are 'dry drunks' in life.....alcoholics who swore off at some point and do not imbibe. If you study our present administration carefully, you'll find some of that and you'll see how destructive these folks can become rather than being truly sober with some substantive support programs in their lives.

This is a segue from the Burt & Urby thing, but since you asked.....

That's about all I'm aware of.....

Old 11-16-2007, 05:21 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times
I don't know, I guess people just have different metabolisms. I like beer and am enjoying on as I type this and I have a few every night. That said, I don't remember the last time I was drunk. If certain people get ugly when they imbibe it is their responibility to curb their actions and friends should try to intervene. It is sad when you see Brittanylike implosions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania