Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do You Pronounce The Name of the Diamond City?
Wilkes-Berry 50 58.82%
Wilkes-Bear 27 31.76%
Wilkes-Bear-Uh 8 9.41%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:53 PM

98 posts, read 378,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
All I know is whenever I say "Wilkes Barre" my neighbors think I mean "WilkesBORO - Birthplace of NASCAR"

After 25 years of dealing with the question of where is Edwardsville or where in PA, I usually say near the Poconos (or Scranton now that the Office is popular).

and its Wilkes-Barry as the name is pronounced. Not one of the options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 05:56 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsedeski View Post
After 25 years of dealing with the question of where is Edwardsville or where in PA, I usually say near the Poconos (or Scranton now that the Office is popular).

Barry and Berry sound exactly alike.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:39 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,130 times
^^^Sure. For example the word "strawbarry"...........feh.

Last edited by WasPA; 11-27-2007 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: deletion...extra word

Old 11-27-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
^^^Sure. For example being the word "strawbarry"...........feh.
Perhaps I'm just a bit mentally challenged this evening, but I'm saying "StrawbArry" and "StrawbErry" aloud right now, and I'm not hearing any discernible difference.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:28 PM

^^^^I thought you were joking...oh, well......

Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
^^^^I thought you were joking...oh, well......
I'm a little slow tonight. Sorry!

Old 11-28-2007, 04:20 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsedeski View Post

Agreed, Tsedeski. The pronounciation has become diluted over the years, but the city is afterall, named after 2 men's surnames. There's only one way to correctly pronounce "Wilkes" & "Barre" & that's the way these men pronounced their own names.

I remember when the football player Tony Dorsett, from PA coincidentally, was correcting commentators on the pronounciation of his name, telling them to accent the last syllable. Well, he knows the correct pronounciation of his surname, in the way his family wishes it to be known, even if it differs from others with the same surname/different pronounciation.

In regard to words that are not people's names, I currently live in Boston where many local pronounciations vastly differ from what I read & how I pronounce them (& most of this country, for that matter), but hey, it's regional & who's to argue. From the research I've done, many New England pronounciations are as the original Brit settlers used, as someone referenced above. As long as I know what anyone from any region/country is talking about, grammer/accent/pronounciation (proper or not) doesn't impact my life, either way. I say "E-ther" & you say "I-ther"

Yes, I've had to use that "from the Pocono's" reply, as well. But, many don't know where those mountains are (or hills as they called them when I lived in Seattle), so I've learned to say "from NEPA". Believe it or not, I have even been asked where PA is, when I lived in Atlanta.

Now the real question is how does one pronounce "Tsedeski"?

Have fun... VV

Last edited by Baltic_Celt; 11-28-2007 at 04:34 AM..

Old 11-28-2007, 07:04 AM

^^ Having better luck getting Bostonians to say Bosston instead of Bahsston than getting Wilkes-Barreans to say Wilkes Barret (per Isaac Barre's name correctly pronouncing the accent aigu over the 'e' ) or the common slur 'Wookspare'?

challenges abound.......

Old 11-28-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Now the real question is how does one pronounce "Tsedeski"?
His last name is Sedeski, and I'm guessing T is his first initial. His brother serves on Edwardsville's borough council, hence his interest in moving back to NEPA at some point. It's amazing, really, to see just how many folks who post on this sub-forum are ex-NEPA residents who have moved away and want to move back. Most other sub-forums are dominated by people who are moving to those areas for the first time, whereas ours is dominated by inquiries from folks wondering how much has changed in the 10, 20, 30, or even more years since they've been gone. I have a feeling that if I had left for Pittsburgh, as I was pondering doing for a while to work for Deloitte & Touche, that I'd become terribly homesick for NEPA after a while. If I can just beg for a position with Parente-Randolph, I'll be set for life now.

It's nice to hear from you, KittensPurr! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Gobble, gobble!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:44 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,285 times
Quote:
^^ Having better luck getting Bostonians to say Bosston instead of Bahsston than getting Wilkes-Barreans to say Wilkes Barret (per Isaac Barre's name correctly pronouncing the accent aigu over the 'e' ) or the common slur 'Wookspare'?

challenges abound.......
Sorry Was, could you please repeat that. I was pahkin my cah neah Hahvid yahd & cahn't heah ya.

Accents & opinions, we've all got them. I just spent a week with a bunch of Manchester friends (UK, not NH) & geesh, if one needs to bushwack one's way through an accent... that'd be the one... (Think the Oasis lads on caffeine.) Once I grasp the cadence of anyone's speech, all is well, but the only thicker accent I've ever heard is one of my sisters-in-law who has a PA Dutch accent. What on earth is going on there? LOL The different slang/phrases/grammar/sentence structure is mind boggling.

Going back in a week to visit Liverpool pals. I need an English to English dictionary 'round those parts. It's wicked hahd, in Boston lingo. Help me...

Have fun... VV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania