Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:35 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
From a fellow Southerner's perspective, does RumAndCoke put up red flags?
I thought so on first read. Still do. Sort of like trying too hard to sound "southern". BTW, whatever happened to the big meet-up?

Old 11-18-2007, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
... I spent just about my entire day enjoying Downtown Wilkes-Barre
???

Is that possible?

Old 11-18-2007, 04:49 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
I thought so on first read. Still do. Sort of like trying too hard to sound "southern". BTW, whatever happened to the big meet-up?
Thank You!! Another one on my side!
Why would any one do this Paul? Simply because we have not had this much fun since NAH was going to Oil City!
Yes, there are a few differences...the imposter wouldn't make themselves EXACTLY like you, for fear of suspicion, but we are already suspicious. My guess is that we will seem some real differences on your views emerge to convince the few who think this is for real.
Now I wouldn't mind if someone made beleive they were NAH and came back ehre and told us how big they made it in the Oil City...oops! Now I can't do that!

Oh..mm_mary
This is one more person to invite th the big meet up!

Old 11-18-2007, 05:08 PM

114 posts, read 127,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Darlin', there's just something too sweet about you to be true
Not in the least! I am a refined, God-fearing, Southern woman.

I am just truly excited about my move to the North.

I am glad to talk to another fellow Southerner on here. Do you have experience with Scranton? If so, let me know!

Old 11-18-2007, 05:09 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepawoods View Post
???

Is that possible?
Believe it or not yes. Read the article about the parade in today's Times-Leader:

Annual parade draws crowd in Wilkes Barre | Wilkes-Barre News | timesleader.com - The Times Leader (http://www.timesleader.com/news/20071118_18parade_ART.html - broken link)

There was a very large crowd downtown to enjoy the Santa Parade this year, and a lot of businesses took part in the festivities. There is a brand new crafts store that opened in the Northampton & Main complex, two doors up from Quizno's, and they had a great dancing santa in front of the store to attract window-shoppers. My friends and I sauntered on inside, where we found many reasonably-priced Harvest-themed gifts. I purchased a bath & body kit for just $7 as an early Christmas gift for one of my girlfriends. The store owner's entire family was there to support her grand opening on Parade Day, and her mother (or mother-in-law?) was there to also sell her delicious homemade fudge. After trying a sample I knew I had to have some, so I bought a pound for just $10 and shared it with my friends and family. Needless to say I'm heading back after school on Tuesday to buy some more fudge to have for an additional Thanksgiving dessert.

Barnes & Noble was the most packed I've ever seen it, and the line for Starbuck's stretched to the back of the building. We had a great formal Italian lunch at La Toscana, where I had the best tortellini bolognese I've had in years. My friends and I were a little underdressed, but given the circumstances of the parade and the fact that the business had just opened, I don't think the owners would be stupid enough to turn people away when they had the chance to make such a great impression on us (which they did). Even the run-down Boscov's store was brimming with activity---I've honestly never seen downtown so packed on a weekend.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:11 PM

17 posts, read 68,790 times
I don't mean to sound rude, but why would any single, 32 year old from Atlanta want to move to Scranton? Especially sight unseen?

Rummy, you really need to come visit Scranton before you move because it has come a long way as of late but it still is not a place that one would recommend relocating to unless you absolutely have to.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:20 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I really think the sprawl skipped over Northern New Jersey and went directly to the Burgs......personally. There are towns in North Jersey that are not all that congested.
I like Walmart......because I want to buy paper goods, and just regular stuff, at a decent price and not be gouged. So yes, I do like Walmart.
You know me, SWB.........I am happy for the new stores on 611. I prayed for some urban development around here. Its ok. I love having that Pier One, and Target nearby and really, really, love Lowes and Home Depot being close.
Gosh, years ago, all we had was Cramers. ( I do still love Cramers service)
The only thing I hate with the influx is crime. That we can do without.
SWB.......if you keep moving between Pittston and Scranton or Wilkesbarre, we will have to surely order a Trolly for your trips back and forth. Especially for you.
And, by the way.........I like Rum and Coke......and I am not southern.
So when Rummy has the party, I want to be called..........alrighty

Old 11-18-2007, 05:23 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Oh My!! So many newbies here, I can't stand the excitement!
Anyone from Oil City???

Old 11-18-2007, 05:24 PM

114 posts, read 127,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
Rum, a friend of mine is a realtor and can help you out. If you're serious about this, send me a pm and I'll give you his info. My future wife in two weeks moved back up north after spending ten years in the south. I was down there in Feb., and got to see Savanah, Statesboro, Atlanta, and Tybee Island. Ever been to The Vortex?
That would be absolutely lovely!!

I am glad that you made it down to Georgia, Savannah and Tybee Island are two of my favorite places in the state!!

I have never been to The Vortex. Is that the heathen restaurant here in Atlanta where the girls walk around nearly bare-skinned? No thank you!!

I go to restaurants to eat, not to be nauseous!

Old 11-18-2007, 05:58 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumandcoke View Post
I go to restaurants to eat, not to be nauseous!
Then you wouldn't want to eat at my future Chippendale's franchise in Scranton where I'll be strutting my own stuff in a speedo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania